Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,118 Posts
I think it is possible to do without having really wide shift lanes but only on the cars that have the torque arm. on the vehicles that don't the transmission just bounces around too much.

It would not be that hard to make and I am interested in doing it because it looks pretty cool. I can draw it up and shoot it over to @rob the elder to be printed off in plastic and it can be tested for clearance. It's not that hard to simulate the roll of the engine because of torque, ratchet strap and a tree. You will always have more movement to the right then the left so the lanes could be made so the shifter didn't go straight down then but instead goes to the left side of the lane to allow the shifter to move to the right.

It would snap right into the OE trim ring. Make it from plastic, sand it then paint is whatever color you want. I would not make it out of aluminum in the off chance the shifter does come into contact with it. Plastic breaks easier then aluminum and if the thing does give if that happens the pressure is going to be put into the boomerang and that will break and is a hard to get piece of the car.

Make the piece so it is domed in shape which will make it easier to break or it will pop out before damaging anything. Slight dome with straight edges would make it easier to break and a larger dome with a slightly angled edge would allow it to pop out instead. A week spot can be made in the piece kind of like a crumple zone on a car where it is going to fail if the shifter comes into hard enough contact with it.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
FWIW, I think a case could be made for people who drive an auto but want it to look like a manual.

and how would someone go about making a cover to work with a shift lever that only goes up or down and doesn't make the H pattern.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
there is going to be some left to right movement of the shifter knob when taking off from a stand still. more so with the V8 and also vehicles without the torque arm. The gate positions may be different if the transmission was changed out when a v8 swap is done.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
That is 100% normal. the torque arm is what is actually lifting the transmission up. When you step on the accelerator the cars tires turn in the direction of the front of the vehicle. The resistance and reverse force of that makes the differential want to roll in the opposite direction. That movement causes the input shaft on the differential to pitch up, or at least try to. Since the torque arm couples the nose of the diff to the tail of the transmission that "lifting" from the diff gets realized by the transmission and since the shifter goes into the tail of the transmission and the transmission sits on rubber mounts it lifts up until it reaches the mechanical limits of the mounts. The movement to the right is the same thing that the diff is doin when it pitches except the left movement is being caused by the rotation of the engine.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
The torque arm is going to limit that movement to the right. so vehicles that do not have the torque arm are going to see more lateral movement then up and down movement and it's the lateral movement that would cause an issue with contact.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
There is no bar that goes across the bottom of the car under the tail of the transmission that the transmission rests on?

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Yeah the mount is right here

Gesture Art Font Auto part Drawing

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
No you can see the torque bar in that image.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts

automatic transmissions have the mount manual trans does not.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
and that has me wondering if a mount can be added. I know the torque arm does break and the reason why it breaks is because of the lack of a transmission mount.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
I know it cold be added I was wondering if it would be hard to do The 06 doesn't have the torque arm and it should have the mount and the transmission is the same so in theory it should bolt in.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
10381819 - mount, top
11519184 - Bolt
15287646 - mount, bottom
15833877 - mount carrier

There is also another bolt and nuts that are needed just don't know the part number. This is for the manual transmission.

I don't know if it would get in the way of the torque arm. The mount is the same as what is used on the automatics and the automatics have the torque arm don't they?

The only purpose of the torque arm is to keep the nose of the diff from lifting. By using the torque arm they gain mechanical advantage when doing this but the elimination of the mount not puts a hell of a lot of stress onto the torque arm where it bolts to the transmission. That is the reason why the torque arm breaks and it breaks right where it bolts to the transmission.

If you taped 2 straws together and then tied a weight to the end then lifts the straws up from the other end what is going to happen? If there is enough weight on the end and the force pulling up is high enough the taped joint is going to fail. This is where the transmission mount comes into play because it reduces the amount of stress being placed on the torque arm by decreasing the length of the "lever" Right now the upward pressure on the diff when accelerating gets transferred down the torque arm and into the transmission and has to travel the length of the transmission into the engine and then part way down the engine to the motor mounts. That's a long span with nothing in the middle to stop it from deflecting at all. And deflecting is what it does do and it does it where the torque arm attaches to the transmission. Adding the transmission mount cuts that span in half which makes the amount of torque that can be handled exponentially higher and the deflection point gets moved into the middle of the torque arm where there are no bolts or mounting points which makes it stronger .

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
what you are forgetting is the change in direction the torque has had to make to get to the tires which makes it perpendicular to the chassis not parallel. While it is still a twisting power it effects the vehicle differently because it is perpendicular to the chassis, it turns into lifting force instead of a twisting force.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
This is one of the reasons why top fuel drag cars have the engine behind the driver or the driver is sitting on top of the rear diff. This is to get the transmission in a place where it can be coupled directly to the differential and also lessens the weight at the front of the car and that translated into less stress that gets places on the chassis when the car takes off.

They still do snap in half because there does need to be some kind of weight in the front to keep it from flipping over but if the engine is the weight the car would snap in half almost 100% of the time because of the lifting force the diff has on the car.

Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Asphalt Motor vehicle

Think of that being the diff, torque arm, transmission and engine and the kinked place is where the torque arm bolts to the transmission which is going to be the weakest point and there for the point of failure. Now imagine placing say a steel I-beam the whole length, that would be what the chassis of the car is and then where the kink is bolt it to that I-beam. not going to break any more and it accomplishes the same task.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Just for the sake of seeing it. This is what happens with too much power and the engine in front of the driver and the driver is not sitting on top of the diff.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
the torque arm is a big C in shape. It grabs the side of the transmission. The mount bolts to the bottom of the transmission in the center. That there is a carrier that bolts to the bottom of the car and bolts onto the mount..

This is all under the transmission where as the torque arm wraps around the propeller shaft.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts