Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,345 Posts
Is this little "arm" that comes around and underneath the transmission in this drawing... does it mount to the body somewhere?
Leg Organism Mammal Gesture Style

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,345 Posts
Also, in looking this up it appears the torque arm mounts precisely where the non-torque arm tranny used to mount..

Here is the pre-torque arm AR5:
Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire Wheel

And here is the torque arm version (at least it looks like the one on my car)
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,186 Posts
the torque arm is a big C in shape. It grabs the side of the transmission. The mount bolts to the bottom of the transmission in the center. That there is a carrier that bolts to the bottom of the car and bolts onto the mount..

This is all under the transmission where as the torque arm wraps around the propeller shaft.

Reactions: agent008

·
Registered
764 Posts
Oh man...where to start here...

As HH already discovered, there is no trans mount in the classical sense, and no you can't add the trans mount to a torque arm car because the tail housing is different. Way different. And the mount/arm would run into each other.

No, the automatics never have the arm.

There is a "cross-member" under the trans, (it looks more like a skid-plate then a typical subframe member) but in a torque arm car it's missing the doubler plate that the rubber mount sits on.

The funky c-shaped piece HH found in the line drawing was to put a later torque arm trans into a pre-torque arm car to keep it SCCA legal, but was never produced. There is no torque arm in the picture.

Reactions: agent008

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Oh man...where to start here...

As HH already discovered, no you can't add the trans mount to a torque arm car because the tail housing is different. Way different. And the mount/arm would run into each other.

No, the automatics never have the arm.

The funky c-shaped piece HH found in the line drawing was to put a later torque arm trans into a pre-torque arm car to keep it SCCA legal, but was never produced. There is no torque arm in the picture.
Thats what i was getting from the pictures.
The torque arm has very little room to give as to where it mounts to the tranny as well.

I found a photo (somewhere cant find it now) and it goes under and across the same part that the torque arm slides over.
As the torque arm is pretty huge the only way i could see having both (torque arm and a mount) would be some type of strap that would go around the tranny AND the attached torque arm and then a cross piece would have to be made to go under the tranny and over the torque arm.
I found an older thread where DDM was offering to weld an additional plate to the part of the arm that mounts to the tranny to reinforce it, but it looks like other than a few in-house custom jobs it never came to market. I have no idea how effective it was or not…
It’s unfortunate as i personally would like to have both solutions in place but not enough to commission some custom fabrication.
I just did the one off make of the Fluidampr PS accessory pulley and that has fiscally tempered my desire for fabrication.
YMMV :)

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
PS> the only point of all this was to mention i noticed both side to side and vertical movement of the shifter and i thought that notice relevant to the discussion of a shift gate.
Since i have never built one on my own, i only humbly offer that information to whomever is going to build this, so that they can get it right and then i can give them my money to build one :)

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
922 Posts
You can see how much my brother's shifter moves around in a video my nephew posted: Waterford Hills race weekend #4

I'd guess that cars with gated shifters have body mounted shifters (where there's a linkage that can absorb the powertrain movements).
Um, no. My Aurora had a gated shifter. Wasn't even connected to the tranny, much less to the body.

·
Administrator
11,666 Posts
Spoken by a man who has never gone into reverse on a manual by accident. I wish I could say I was part of your group. Having done so, I would never own a manual that WASN'T gated.
I was referring to the automatic shifter made to look like a manual shifter shown in the post before mine.

I suspect that if you were able to blow through the reverse detent without noticing, a gate wouldn't have helped.

·
Premium Member
18,741 Posts
When I drive either car there is little to no torque induced motion of the shift lever. A gate would work fine but I have never driven a gated car and don’t really see the benefit.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
When I drive either car there is little to no torque induced motion of the shift lever. A gate would work fine but I have never driven a gated car and don’t really see the benefit.
my 5spd (which i dislike...) seems to be a bit notchy and if not moved in the right path it tends to have a bit of synchro clash (i have no explanation other than a problematic synchro). shifted slowly and surely seems to work; so, a gate might be a benefit

Bill
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Administrator
11,666 Posts
The reality is that from an engineering and functional perspective we have a gated shifter, the gate is simply located in the operating mechanism where it actually does some good.

A functional shifter gate that is mounted to the body of the car would actually make shifting worse unless the entire shift mechanism was removed from the transmission and mounted to the body. This design has more moving parts, more opportunities for problems, and is generally less precise than the integrated mechanism that we have.

The original gated shifters actually had a heavy metal plate for a gate and that plate provided the guidance for the shifter to be able to properly select the desired gear. Later cars that retained the visible gate used it for appearance only and it did not actually contact the shifter.

·
Registered
2009 , Solstice base 5 speed Red
125 Posts
My thoughts are that Gates were originally used when the shift linkage was all mounted remotely . The shift lever was mounted in a ball or HIEM type pivot. It would need gates so as not to just flop around.
For our application perhaps a mount for the gate could attach to the shifer mount/ extension on the trans. This way the Gate would always remain in the same position relative to the trans/engine torque effect. Thinking a short section of tubing rising from the shifter mount, surrounding the shift lever with the gate on the top . At that point attaching a boot would be the next problem to overcome.

·
Administrator
11,666 Posts
My thoughts are that Gates were originally used when the shift linkage was all mounted remotely . The shift lever was mounted in a ball or HIEM type pivot. It would need gates so as not to just flop around.
For our application perhaps a mount for the gate could attach to the shifer mount/ extension on the trans. This way the Gate would always remain in the same position relative to the trans/engine torque effect. Thinking a short section of tubing rising from the shifter mount, surrounding the shift lever with the gate on the top . At that point attaching a boot would be the next problem to overcome.
That is a reasonably accurate description of the shifter in the Ferrari that I used to maintain for a friend.

Since the "gate" isn't expected to control anything it could probably be body mounted but would need oversize slots and, of course, a much thinner shifter shaft than stock.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts