Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get to 400-450whp without building the engine or breaking the bank. What are the best mods for the buck? Need it to be somewhat reliable too.

Already have 3bar and a tune.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
If you can get an honest 300 hp out of 2 liters you are already in exotic company. Think Ferrari, Bugatti, Porsche. These engines are usually turbo AND supercharged. NOBODY short or racers get 200 hp per liter.

I would go for a V8.

Unless you add a supercharger and run E85.

Good luck. I look forward to hearing what you do.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You may get reliable or you may not. So far mine has been but the stock pistons on these cars are a bit of a crap shoot.

I haven't had mine on the dyno but the MAF reads 44lbs/min at 6400 rpm so I am probably in the neighborhood of 400 to the wheels. I run an EFR6758 at 27-28psi on E47 and methanol injection. I also have the Werks intercooler and high flow cat.

My theory is that the methanol is important for the durability of the pistons in keeping the combustion temps down. E47 helps with this as well. My intake temps are the same at idle as they are at 27psi and the end of a third gear pull.

Mine is a daily driver. No issues so far.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may get reliable or you may not. So far mine has been but the stock pistons on these cars are a bit of a crap shoot.

I haven't had mine on the dyno but the MAF reads 44lbs/min at 6400 rpm so I am probably in the neighborhood of 400 to the wheels. I run an EFR6758 at 27-28psi on E47 and methanol injection. I also have the Werks intercooler and high flow cat.

My theory is that the methanol is important for the durability of the pistons in keeping the combustion temps down. E47 helps with this as well. My intake temps are the same at idle as they are at 27psi and the end of a third gear pull.

Mine is a daily driver. No issues so far.
Anything else under there? The 3 bars are good for 29psi right? Does the 6758 spool faster than the k04?

I have been collecting info for a few weeks and here is my current blueprint (subject to change):

-Either upgraded k04 or EFR6758
-Werks intercooler
-High flow cat
-Cold air intake and charge pipes

Late game:
-Larger throttle body
-Upgraded fuel rail, HPFP, injectors
-Carillo rods and wiseco piston

I heard some of us are running 500-600HP with the lnf, what are they doing?

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
You MUST upgrade internals to go past 350hp. First steps are IC tubing, IC, HFC, freer flowing exhaust (Solo Street Performance has no mufflers and is quit enough) and CAI. This will get you to about 350hp, then internals, then turbo and finally a tune. You could go to e85 if you can find a bigger lob for the HPFP and much bigger injectors. Tony owner of ASAP Graphics, IMSMC was pushin over 600hp (I wanna say it was almost 800hp, but I'm not certain)....I watched him SMOKE a Mustang GT500 one night. I tried to warn the Mustang.

Your best bet is either an LS motor, or the Supra block with mods....

·
Registered
210 Posts
How do I get to 400-450whp for minimal cost?

:glol::glol::glol::glol::glol::glol::glol::glol:

Rob's right. You don't.
Well there's a minimum cost to achieve a goal. I have probably about $5000 in power parts including the tune and HP Tuners.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Anything else under there? The 3 bars are good for 29psi right? Does the 6758 spool faster than the k04?

I have been collecting info for a few weeks and here is my current blueprint (subject to change):

-Either upgraded k04 or EFR6758
-Werks intercooler
-High flow cat
-Cold air intake and charge pipes
That's pretty much it. You don't need the intake and charge pipes to make the power. I have them but they are just for aesthetics.

Get the 6758, it's a great turbo. Boost threshold is maybe a 100-200 rpm later but it's not very noticeable. I do recommend meth injection (with or without ethanol) and you'll need a tune/tuner.

Stock pistons may or may not make it. Just be ok with the possibility of having to rebuild with better rods and pistons if it comes to that.

I heard some of us are running 500-600HP with the lnf, what are they doing?
Larger turbo/more boost (EFR7163) and higher redline. Built bottom end, stiffer valve springs, neutral balance shafts (or none), etc. You could drop the compression a little to facilitate additional boost but that would probably require a full custom piston. I don't know if there's anything off the shelf that will do that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everything I've read so far from just about everywhere says that the stock bottom end is good for 400-450 and needs to be built if exceeded. Is that not true?

I don't mind spending some money but I dont want to exceed 4-5k

·
Registered
39 Posts
Everything I've read so far from just about everywhere says that the stock bottom end is good for 400-450 and needs to be built if exceeded. Is that not true?

I don't mind spending some money but I dont want to exceed 4-5k
Mine didn't survive... ended up buying a new engine and am installing pistons and rods in it.

·
Premium Member
1,942 Posts
Spend/build/break/repeat. No way to do what you are wanting to do without a lot of money, talent and patience.

It is not going to be dependable, reliable nor a daily driver. Maybe a daily project for months.

More education, a rich girl friend, become a trusafarian. These are the things that will make it easy, not cheap.

But either way have a ball on your road of a lot of fun and destruction.

·
Registered
6,629 Posts
From what I have gathered watching threads like this for years, you can get up around 400 bhp at the crank (not at the wheels!) without seriously jeopardizing the engine longevity, nor needing to replace pistons unless you lose out on the clearance lottery and you engine is one with tight ring end gaps.

Beyond that you have to be prepared to start adding serious money - which you say you are unwilling to do. Therefor your answer is to build to a lower output level, give up on the idea, or contemplate an engine swap.

·
Premium Member
10,345 Posts
People seem to confuse BHP (crank HP) with WHP (At the wheels HP) Lots of difference when it comes to what the motor OEM standard build can accept.
The 6758 will give you the 400 BHP and the internals will work as long as you do not beat the hell out of the motor.
Also the water and meth will definitely help preserve the engine a bit longer.
Now 400 WHP will translate into 483 BHP which the LNF will not survive unless the internals are upgraded.

·
Registered
6,629 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is not a stock engine - it has special connecting rods and forged pistons. So that is $4K before you do anything at all to add power.
From the description:

The Stock LNF 2.0L engine found in the 2007-2010 Pontiac Solstice GXP and 2007-2010 Saturn Sky REdline can be safely ran up to 450hp at the wheels, although we recommend looking at building the engine when power gets over 400hp at the wheels for reliability

1 - 20 of 46 Posts