Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
If I am not mistaken the piston on our LNF are rated by GM performance to 400BHP period, so I do not care what Dave has publish but our LNF will not survive those kind of power with OEM internals.
Do what you want, but that statement is incorrect and Dave at DDM should know better.
Changed the description on the site a little -

"We have ran the stock LNF 2.0L engine found in the 2007-2010 Pontiac Solstice GXP and 2007-2010 Saturn Sky Redline up to 450hp at the wheels, although we highly recommend looking at building the engine when power gets over 400hp at the wheels for reliability."

We have ran several stock LNF engine up into the low/mid 400's with big turbos that have big exhaust A/R's and have not seen many problems here under 400hp at the wheels. We have had people call us that have blown engines on stock turbos with just a "tune" they did themselves or another company did for them. The bigger issue we see for engine longevity is the tune, not necessarily the power the engine is making to a degree. So many guys seem to want to get just that little bit more out of it and end up going a little too far. The pistons will take a lot of abuse, but you have to control the heat they are seeing. If you are pushing high boost pressures/cylinder temperatures and not allowing that heat to get out, the upper ring land will crack, break and cause an engine failure. Really, there is no magical safe power limit on these engines, you could put a poor flash in the ECM and blow it up with stock power levels, or put a big turbo on and be conservative with the fueling, timing and cams, get the exhaust to breathe really well and make it survive over 400hp at the wheels. When you get to that level though, you must be monitoring the engine. The tuning is the most important thing on those higher horsepower setups for engine survival.

So, can the stock LNF engine will take 400hp at the wheels? If that engine has a nice clean tune in it, runs good quality gas, has good quality components in it driven on the street, sure. I would not run that kind of setup on heavy track days though where the heat load on the engine will be much higher for longer periods of time. Can the engine be destroyed with a stock turbo and bad tune at 250hp at the wheels, sure also.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Premium Member
10,364 Posts
Dave.
has good quality components in it
So with your statement above it is no longer a factory LNF OEM 2.0.
Dave you tune my 2007 large wheel turbo a few years back and maybe your thinking has change, but at the time you said to be on the safe side and going between 25-27 psi 350/350 BHP (not at the wheels) was your advise.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Dave.
So with your statement above it is no longer a factory LNF OEM 2.0.
Dave you tune my 2007 large wheel turbo a few years back and maybe your thinking has change, but at the time you said to be on the safe side and going between 25-27 psi 350/350 BHP (not at the wheels) was your advise.
25-27psi is completely different power levels depending on the turbo/supercharger setup. With a EFR 7163 we are getting right around 500hp at 23-24psi of boost as an example. When you are measuring boost, think of it as a measurement of the restriction of flow through the engine. If you have a very open exhaust setup, the boost pressure will be lower for the same power. The higher the boost pressure, typically the more heat and pressure is retained in the engine, which leads to detonation and piston damage typically. So for your setup, which has basically the stock exhaust section of the K04, that is all I would push from that setup. If you have an EFR 7163, or some other larger turbo with lower exhaust backpressure, you can run more power.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm looking to get to 400-450whp without building the engine or breaking the bank. What are the best mods for the buck? Need it to be somewhat reliable too.

Already have 3bar and a tune.
Check out my build, its on this forum. I have been at 400 WHP eight years 50 thousand miles. Still going strong.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts