Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I was looking for ways to maintain and take care of my solstice, I use my solstice as a delivery driver for pizza and I have 78,000 miles on it. It’s the GXP model, it has been incredible to me but I was looking for ways to keep it from breaking considering I use it on the daily. I understand oil, air filter, fluids are all very Important, but I wanted to know of other ways to maintain and protect my bigger parts in my engine such as my clutch. Anyone have any ideas on how to maintain your engine?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hello everyone, I was looking for ways to maintain and take care of my solstice, I use my solstice as a delivery driver for pizza and I have 78,000 miles on it. It’s the GXP model, it has been incredible to me but I was looking for ways to keep it from breaking considering I use it on the daily. I understand oil, air filter, fluids are all very Important, but I wanted to know of other ways to maintain and protect my bigger parts in my engine such as my clutch. Anyone have any ideas on how to maintain your engine?
At the very least get an owners manual if you don't already. Go thru it a few times, and follow the maintenance schedule in the back. That would be a good start. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Fuel: Premium only
Oil: 100% Synthetic, MOBIL 1 recommended

Next, find out when all fluids were changed (brake, transmission, differential, coolant, power steering). These should be done about every 50-75k or 5 years. 4If not done, do them...they'll run you on average about $200 for each one at the dealership. Battery if it is older then 4 years. The top needs to be cleaned and protected at least twice a summer with 303. The joints on the top need to be greased. Tires should be replaced if they're older then 7 years...many tire places will stop touching them after 5 years, especially on the east coast where many dealers have been sued for doing simple tire plugs. Spark plugs should be replaced. While the manual states 100k, turbo engines are MUCH harder on spark plugs. I replace mine about every 12 miles or 3 years, whichever now comes first (lately its been years). Air filters, if you don't have a CAI should be done about every 10k-15k dependent on where you live.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I change mine every 20,000 miles and that to some is really excessive. But 12 miles.. sheesh 🤪

·
Registered
929 Posts
I also wanted to say to the OP..

tisk tisk tisk using a Solstice to deliver pizzas.. Car will be headed to the bone yard in under 2 years. parts are expensive and some are hard to locate. When you start having the suspension go I do no think that you would be investing 1000.00 for the shocks and 1000.00 for a water pump.. these cars need a pretty decent amount of maintenance that no fluid is going to help.

As @The_Ghost stated.
only 100% synthetic. Mobil 1 is what I use and will always use and have used in every single vehicle I have ever owned.
"Fast" Oil Change places you have to be careful with. Jiffy lube's synthetic oil change is not 100% synthetic. It is 50/50 with conventional oil. Direct injected engines run hotter and then couple that with the turbo you are going to end up with sludge. 100% only. I know I know shame on me for saying this.. Best place to get an oil change and not empty your bank doing it.. Walmart. 29.00 for 5 quarts of Mobil 1 100% synthetic, 8 bucks for a K&N oil filter and then the cost of having them change it. It comes to 55.00 + tax total. Jiiffy Lube charges something like 130.00 for that 50/50 crap.

I went into an oil change place and asked them how much to do an oil change with oil and filter provided by me.. The guy asked me if it was synthetic... I said why does that matter.. He then said synthetic costs more.. I said I am providing the oil. and he repeated the same thing. I stood there for a minute looking at the guy with a blank stare... Then I said.. You're an idiot or you are an *******. I turned and then started walking out. A guy that was in the waiting room his car had not been pulled into the place yet. he got up and followed me out. He said to me.. Unbelievable, and that he was leaving because of either the stupidity or the attempt to rip people off. either way he didn't want them touching his car.

synthetic oil costs about a buck more per quart. why do "fast" oil change places charge 100+ for synthetic and a convention oil change is 40 bucks. because you can drive on synthetic for twice the mileage and because synthetic (100%) has 0 mineral content and will not form deposits over time so the 3 months or 3,000 miles whichever comes first does not apply to synthetic.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I wouldn't do this in my GXP but on an N/A car that is not direct injected, get the 15,000 mile Mobil 1 oil use a linen based oil filter like K&N. I change my oil in my Lincoln every 12,000 miles and have done so ever since I got the car. @180,000 miles and the car doesn't burn any. I know this because the car is pearl white and there is no black soot on the back of the car. Hardly any power loss. car has easily another 200,000 miles left in it before having to do anything major to the engine.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
You want to deliver pizzas with your car go ahead it's your car and maybe that's how your paying for it or future upgrades . GM has been producing turbo charged 4 cylinder pedestrian cars for sometime now and I'm sure more than one has been used to deliver pies and how many people use these as daily drivers to go to work or shopping etc. Bottom line is proper maintenance and getting it out on the highway every once in a while so it can stretch its legs you'll be OK !

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
What exactly is a "pedestrian car"? Isn't that like "jumbo shrimp"?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Pedestrian - adjective - lacking inspiration or excitement.

Ex: The Buicks that were often equipped with the 2.0L turbo LDK/LHU were extremely pedestrian automobiles with no intentions of being sporty or high performance.

·
Registered
929 Posts
noun
noun: pedestrian; plural noun: pedestrians
  1. a person walking along a road or in a developed area.
    "the road is so dangerous pedestrians avoid it"

adjective
adjective: pedestrian
  1. lacking inspiration or excitement; dull.
    "disenchantment with their present, pedestrian lives"

hmmmm....
a person walking along a road or in a developed area that's lacking inspiration or excitement.

¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've seen lots of Skip the Dishes driving teslas and subarus. I think I saw a Skip bag in a 911 once. Had to do a double take. Well at least with a convertible you can clear the mozza pepperoni smell from the car. mmmm... baked anchovies.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
770 Posts
I've been using synthetic for very long time in all my stuff, even aircooled vw witch the vw"exspurts" say wont work..well not if you build it like they do. but back to the oil, I do not use 1 brand. that pigeon holes you into that additives that that manufacture uses. I use, castrol, penisoil,valvoline,havoline,quackerstate. most of the times I mix them but not always. diferent engines have diferent inherent issues.and the oil the vehicle maker uses addresses those usual issues..I learned that in tech school for a multi manufacture dealership I worked at. at 1 the citgo rep was there, citing what issues each manufacture had that needed to be addressed with oil.thus each manufactures oil was formulated differently( and most were made by citgo, but labeled for the manufacture). thus I like to change up when changing oil , thus getting different additive packages. but your usualy good to go if you use any name brand synthetic oil these days. oil filters are another thing all togeather...I use the zig zag AC delco filter made in france in my car. it does not seem to wadd up like some of the others that are not supported good internaly.( the napa filter was all wadded up)

·
Registered
929 Posts
@marksbug

The oil filter MUST be made from linen and not paper. when using a filter that is on the bottom of the engine always get one that has an anti drain back valve as well. This keeps oil up in the galleys so the valve train is not going to run dry for anywhere near as long. It takes a bit for the oil to fill those galleys and get the oil up to the top of the engine. Making sure the oil filter has an anti drain back valve greatly extends the life of the components on the top of the engine.

paper filters simply are not as good as linen ones. they break down and will do as @marksbug has stated. they wad up or turn into a ball of mush if left for more then 6 months soaking in oil.

My father was the director of operations for Avis Lube and from the age of 12 until I was 16 guess what I was doing every summer? I was working at one of the stores. First year was courtesies, tire pressure, vacuuming and windows, the next 3 years was changing between doing the courtesies, the pit and under the hood. I got good at 1st gear in a standard (y). Avis lube used Mobil oil products at the time and this was when synthetics started to be pushed to the masses. I will swear by Mobil 1 only because I have seen first hand what It does for a vehicle. the vehicle my father drove day in and day out had nothing but Mobil 1 put in it from the day he bought it new. I ended up with the vehicle when it had 480,000 miles on it. I had to do a valve cover gasket. There was not one drop of sludge. nice shiny aluminum with a coat of oil on it. I sold the car when it had 560,000 miles on it and the kid that I sold it to drove it for another 150,000 before he sold it. IDK how many miles ended up on it before it finally made it to the bone yard but it sure as hell had to be up there. I did nothing major to the car when I owned it. The kid I sold it to had the transmission rebuilt and that was the only thing he did to it other then change the oil and put tires on it. He also put nothing but Mobil 1 in it. So I guess I am bias in that respect.

I can tell you that I have seen some crazy things when I was working at the oil change place. newer cars that had 40,000 miles on it and have never had the oil changed. We modified an air sprayer so we could shove it down into the dipstick tube and it would seal it to blow the chunks of oil out the drain plug. spend an hour filling the engine with oil and draining/blowing it out the bottom. we used a fine metal type filter so we could use the same oil when we dropped it back into the engine to flush it again. The last fill was with new oil.

Synthetic oil will dissolve the sludge over time so the customer was then instructed to use only synthetic and for the next 10,000 miles to bring it back and to get the oil changed every 1000 miles. we told them if the oil filter gets plugged up solid with that sludge it's not going to be a good thing.

This is how I know of the Jiffy Lube using 50/50. I told my wife to get the oil changed in her Hyundai Accent. We had purchased the car new, it had a direct injected engine in it. She got the oil changed every 5,000 miles +/- 500 miles. I didn't normally drive the vehicle and when I did it had about 60,000 miles on it. The car was already handicapped in terms of HP, when I drove it the thing was far worse. no codes in the computer.. I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on.. I ended up sticking a camera down into the oil fill tube and what did I discover?.. sludge, an unreal amount of it. the cam and rockers were encased in it. The car was only 3 years old at this point.

at first I thought that the Jiffy Lube was charging my wife for synthetic and putting in conventional oil. I had the receipts for every single oil change. I went right over there and asked what the hell. the manager of the store I swear was 19 years old. and the words out of his mouth was "I have never seen anything like that before". Now either he was lying or he just started working there and this is the first time he has been in the oil change business. I couldn't deal with talking to him. I went and started to look for the corporate contact info for Jiffy lube and that is when I ran across the information on their website that their Synthetic oil is not 100%. I could have gotten the sludge out if I pulled the valve cover and dropped the oil pan and over a the course of a week dumped kerosene into the top of the engine and let it drain out the bottom. over and over and over again to clean out the sludge, But i was not going to be able to reverse any damage that has occurred from it being there. I ended up trading the car in to get rid of it. I knew the thing was going to be a nightmare.

The really screwed up thing is the guy on the bottom had to have seen what was coming out of the oil pan. that guy had to have know that this was occurring. but said nothing. How messed up is that?

So now I buy the oil and filter and I bring it to a mechanic that I trust and does things right and also charges an honest hour for the labor (hard to find one of these guys). I have him change the oil only because I do not want to have to deal with the headache of getting rid of the oil, he also rotates the tires and reprograms the TMPS at every single oil change. he charges me 20 bucks to change the oil and rotate the tires. It's not a fast oil change so I drop the car off in the morning and it's done by 6:00 PM. not the best in terms of convenience and that's ok. It's the cost of knowing that it's going to be done right and if there i a problem I will be told bout it. He also does a full code scan on the vehicle and lets me know if there is anything that is reporting a problem, right down to the radio..

Reactions: Lalieya
1 - 15 of 15 Posts