Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 Solstice Base/ Premium

I need to replace the headlight dimmer switch. I cannot get this piece off. I don't know what to call it? Dash trim? Headlight switch cover? Anyhow, the problem I am having is getting the lip of the "cover" to slip under the lip of the Gauge Bezel. That's the section where I drew the red line. What's the trick? What am I missing? I have turned it every which way but off. The bottom section that surrounds the ignition tumbler is already off.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Pop the chrome rings (get your fingernails behind them and pull). Then you'll need to pull the gauge tunnels just past the first set of clips (i.e. about halfway)... just go round the edges flexing them inward and pulling that edge out past the dash cutout. Don't need to take them all the way out, but if you DO, be carefull about the 4 rubber bumpers on the rear edges - very easy to scrape them off and impossible to find again :)

Once the tunnels are loose, you be able to get the top of the column piece out from under the ledge.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brilliant. OK. I was just out there and figured I just might need to pull that whole assembly off, but your directions just saved me. Thanks. I'll post a picture when it's done.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Further Complications

I have the trim ring removed and I did pull the tunnels. The gauge "glass" has always had some smudges on it that I want to get anyway. Two of the rubber covers were already missing, but I spy one down in the dash. Getting the bottom electrical connector off from the headlight dimmer switch was a bear. In fact, it broke off. It's Okay though because the broken case (circled in red) is on the new one.

It looks like I am going to have to remove some massive dash trim. The lever "slides" in and out of its housing, and there is no way it will slide out past the trim. see the example marked in yellow. I guess it's off on a Goggle Search of the forum to find dash trim removal instructions and pictures.

Ah well, I can feel good that the lever was broken when I bought the car. Now if I can just take everything apart and put it back together without breaking anything...I should be good to go. :driving: Thanks Tomato.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you get this off

This piece has to come off to do the install. What am I missing? When I pull on it it feels like it's bolted somewhere, but I don't see it. As you can see by the scratches, I have tried a billion ways to get the lever in. I've tried it from the rear, from underneath, I can't figure any way around it. This piece has to come off.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
That's part of the full dash - you'd need to take the whole thing off! Probably need to find a different way:)

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Actually, IIRC, you'll probably need to take the airbag off, pull the steering wheel and then the clockspring and get the switch assembly off from the front. Not easy.

PM me your email. I'll send you a pdf.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, IIRC, you'll probably need to take the airbag off, pull the steering wheel and then the clockspring and get the switch assembly off from the front. Not easy.

PM me your email. I'll send you a pdf.
PM Sent

Yeah I think I see what you mean about it being part of the dash.

I have the lever off, but it only came off because the connector "box" broke off.

I'm going to get it in there somehow, some way. I don't give up easy. I'm like Jesus at the Last Supper. One Apostle turned another and said,

" I thought he [Jesus] was dead."

The other replied, "He is. He's just real stubborn about it."

I'm that kind of stubborn too. :lol:

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
So, I sent u the pdf. According to that, you only need to remove the top and bottom trim and then the switch comes out after pressing in the locking tabs (though, removing the steering wheel might still make it a bit easier to get at).

How's it coming?

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Headlight/Dimmer Lever Replacement

First thanks to Tomato Soup for all the help and the PDF he sent. The trick is dropping the whole steering column, steering wheel intact. You don't have to remove the gauge pods or anything like that. Here is the procedure:

Start removing the cover I have lined in red. It's held together with three screws that you access from the bottom. Besides the screws, it snaps together, and is in three pieces. The top will stay on, but once you drop the column you'll have enough room to take it off if you want or need to.

Next, remove the driver's knee panel.

Then remove number two in the diagram

Remove or loosen the two bolts in the next picture. I took mine all the way off. I should mention I have a tilt wheel. If you don't have a tilt wheel there may be one more bolt. They connect the column to the dash, so to speak.

Once you remove the bolts, gently pull down on the column and it will drop the wheel all the way to the seat. Dropping the column, clears the problem I had with the dash.

Next, unplug the switches on the rear of the lever. The lever just slides out of it's housing, and slides and snaps back in.

I hate to sound like Chilton's, but reverse the procedure for reassembly.

Ready to rock.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Agh... I thought you'd already dropped the column before when you were trying to get the trim off, and still having clearance issues, so I didn't mention that. (Slaps own face)

Good to know about removing the knee guard, thanks!

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Nice write up, OM. Thanks for sharing - good resource if I ever need it down the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts