Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any info would be helpful. What's the best/cheapest/safest way to ship wheels and tires???? I've heard bus freight is a good option.

·
Super Moderator
7,537 Posts
I have shipped bare tires UPS by taping the label around the tire, through the middle. Bare wheels should always go in boxes. A friend once shipped tires on wheels by bolting plywood across the face of each wheel.

The surest way to find out is to call or go to the bus station and ask.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Are they together? If-so, just wrap the hell out of the whole thing so the faces don't get scratched and toss it under a greyhound bus. If separate, just wrap the wheels (in boxes) (My SSRs from TireRack each came in another wheel's (17") box with a piece of a lite, foam-like fabric over the face to prevent scratching).

I can't imagine anything being cheaper for freight than greyhound in this case.

·
Registered
221 Posts
JeffGTX shipped a set to me on UPS. They strapped 2 wheels together with ratchet straps, the wheels had the chrome facing each other and were separated with a sheet of cardboard. The tires were almost deflated. 10 psi maybe? Ups did not want them aired up. No other packaging was required. Hope this helps .

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
JeffGTX shipped a set to me on UPS. They strapped 2 wheels together with ratchet straps, the wheels had the chrome facing each other and were separated with a sheet of cardboard. The tires were almost deflated. 10 psi maybe? Ups did not want them aired up. No other packaging was required. Hope this helps .
Patrick, I think this might be the preferred method. I know for a fact that greyhound does not have a stop in my town. I could drive to pick them up though if you choose that option.

·
Super Moderator
7,537 Posts
Sometimes there is a large premium for packages over 70 lbs, and two wheels with tires will exceed that. It might be more economical to ship them individually.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
I believe that strapping them (4 Tires & Wheels) to a pallet is a good way to ship. Of course cardboard or other separation awa ship wrap would be part of it. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
As long as the wheel surface is preserved and protected, I'll be happy, Patrick. If you have to do them individually through UPS that is fine. Like I said though, if it's way to cost prohibitive and you have to use greyhound, just email me and we'll try and find someone kind of close by for them to deliver it and I'll go pick them up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts