Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, question to the owners of VDI Lambo door hinges. How far do the doors swing/open horizontally (standard opening....not vertically)?

Love the look, but have a vertical height restriction in the garage and need to open the door in a "normal" manner.

Any pictures would be appreciated too.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I am 5'9" and I can get in an out of the door by just opening it. It opens maybe a foot is my guess. Not close to the car so can not give you an actual measurement. Now, this is on the Sky, so there maybe a slight difference.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Kappasky, I bought a pair of VDI hinges off another forum member a little while ago and he told me that they open horizontally about as far as the stock hinge does until that stock hinge gets to it's first catch point. He also did say that it wasn't difficult to get out of the car without raising the door vertically. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to install mine yet so I can't confirm this. Skersfan, would you say that the VDI hinge opens as far horizontally as the stock hinge does to it's first catch point?

·
Premium Member
17,541 Posts
I am not small and I get in and out without lifting the doors

But your height limitation must be really short because even when rotated to full up the doors are not very high

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
I will have to check it. My cars are kept in storage, so I have to drive to see them. I need to go by tomorrow to check on some wheels for another member here. Busy day today. Should be able to answer that tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rob the elder

But your height limitation must be really short because even when rotated to full up the doors are not very high[/QUOTE]

Yes, the vertical restriction in the garage is due to a lift. I vertically store my vehicles. Need enough room to open the door so I can get out. Vertical opening in the garage is not an option, unless it is the top car.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The opening is about 10". It is about 17" from the side of the car to the outside of the open door. You can gain another couple of inches of "belly room" if you raise the door up to the height of the windshield.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all, this is perfect. Pretty much all the lateral space I have now, so no real changes.
Now to convince the wife :)

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Here are some pictures. Mine were installed by VDI about a year ago. No problems with them. Kind of hard to get used to, but you will. They actually give you a bit more room getting your feet in than the stock doors.

Mine have about 13 inches at the narrowest area. But by putting the windows down, while getting in or out you don't get that much taller than the top being up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Here are some pictures. Mine were installed by VDI about a year ago. No problems with them. Kind of hard to get used to, but you will. They actually give you a bit more room getting your feet in than the stock doors.

Mine have about 13 inches at the narrowest area. But by putting the windows down, while getting in or out you don't get that much taller than the top being up.
Skersfan, this is super helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to take and post the pics!
Yea, Thanks Skers, that does help me too. :thumbs:

I measured my car with the stock hinges and that is almost exactly what I have when the hinge is at the first stop.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
If you guys decide on them, PM me. I sort of represent them out here, don't make a penny on them. But would try to get you a good price if I can. No promises. They asked me to put them on my car at an event. I honestly was against it originally but Marvic convinced me they could be put on without cutting the hood. That was accomplished. I have grown to like them a lot. Just very different after opening car doors for 60 some years and now you do it totally different. Harder for us old geeks I think. Plus I don't drive my cars that often. The wife has a bad knee, and they actually make it easier for her to get in and out of the car.

·
Premium Member
17,541 Posts
rob the elder

But your height limitation must be really short because even when rotated to full up the doors are not very high

Yes, the vertical restriction in the garage is due to a lift. I vertically store my vehicles. Need enough room to open the door so I can get out. Vertical opening in the garage is not an option, unless it is the top car.[/QUOTE]

I measured the vertical height last night. With the windows up, they are about 71 inches at the highest point. If you lower the window, you can gain another 4-6 inches based on visual eyeballing.

But, if I read your particular scenario correctly you are backing the car under a stacker lift that is lowered so the upper car will fit the ceiling height constraints. When you egress the car, you can open the door laterally and get out unless you are restricted in your physical movement or are bigger than I am. >:) But you can also partially rotate the doors upward as much as your overhead clearance allows. Even a partial upward rotation will give you a lot more space to swing your feet and legs out of the car.

Good luck with the wife. Since mine has her own Kappa, our discussions center around equal pay not what I may or may not do to my car. :kiss::kiss:

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Well helpful I am lol. Also remember with these other things become far more dangerous. I took mine in today to have the oil changed, checked out, by my trusted mechanic, almost like my kid over the last year and half. He forgot to close the door and, well we have a nice big dent and scratch in the door. He was almost in tears, I hate the dent, but felt so sorry for him. Stuff happens, so be careful with them, and be sure to caution anyone that might open them. Never leave the hood unattended for any reason.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
That sucks. Was that from the hood coming down with the doors open? Fortunately that might be something the paintless dent repair guys can fix.

·
Premium Member
2,042 Posts
Thanks Crigg, appreciate your thoughts.

Yes the door was open and he closed the hood. Pretty good dent and scratch, unfortunately it will require paint and body work. Painter says it will be done tomorrow night, set the night in the paint booth, and pick up Thursday morning.

We are headed on a 900 plus mile trip Thursday, to Gunnison, Colorado for a big car show that is part of the Colorado groups attended events. So was getting the car ready to go. Normally I do everything myself at the shop, well at this level anyway, but was picking up my mountain bike, and Curt did it for me. I had air lumbar support bags put in. Figure I would need them driving it close to 2k in 4 days.

Just want everyone to know it can happen and to be careful with them. According to Robo, I am about as anal about my car as anyone he ever met, so you can't be to cautious I guess.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Well, I'm glad at least you have the resources to get it fixed so quickly. At least that probably takes some of the sting out of it. And thanks for the tip, I didn't know that was a potential problem. I'm always very careful with my car as well and I'll keep this in mind once I get my hinges installed.

You'll probably love the lumbar support. I did that to mine pretty much as soon as I bought it. Amazing how much a little adjustment can relieve back/leg pain on a long drive.

·
Premium Member
17,541 Posts
I have done it more than once sadly.
First time we were out with the club for breakfast and I closed the wifes door, then walked around and closed my door and while I was talking with a friend I closed the hood. Not noticing that my lovely wife had gotten into the car and left the door open.

then I may have done it a couple other times for basically the same reason. talking when I was closing the hood and not paying attention.

Unfortunately the damage results in a crease that has to be repaired the old fashioned way. Not PDR. Cost me about $400 each time. But the newly painted doors looked great!

My solution was to invent the hood lock. I take a section of plastic conduit from Home Depot and cut them to length, then cut a slot along one side. They fit over the shank of the lift cylinder and when in place they prevent the hood closing. I hang a foot of reflective YELLOW tape on them and every time the hood goes up, the lock goes on. It prevents headspace and timing problems.

I actually make them for everyone in the club because even non-CDI doors and hoods and fenders are susceptible to paint damage if the hood is slammed due to wind or just bad practice.

I will bring you a couple Bob. :)

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
skersfan;1877673 Stuff happens said:
Whoa, that sucks! Sorry that happen to your car. But it does help knowing that a person is genuinely sorry when bad stuff happens.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts