Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how the car handles at top speed. I have taken my husbands Corvette up to 220k but have only taken my baby up to 120k(70m/hr) as she is still in the break in stage. Love the way she handles on a straight way or in the curves.
Still driving her in Calgary as we are still reaching +13C. I have only had her for a month and I am just not wanting to put her away for the winter yet,but the day will come. ;)

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Someone took a photo with the speedometer at 132 or so!

Glad you're getting "reasonable" weather up there. What a ride, eh? :)

EDIT NOTE: The person taking those speedomter photos was Marco. Thanks to Editguy in his post below for that information. :cheers: to Editguy.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
I had mine up to 125mph in fourth gear before the rev-limiter kicked in. I shifted to 5th gear but the motor does not have the torque to go any faster.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Gizmo, I'm taking mine back out to TMS tomorrow (taking the kids on the 4 lap, 160 mph deal). I'm going to try to talk one of the pro drivers into taking my Sol on the track to see what it will do on the 24 degree oval.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Marco has pics of his speedo at some ridiculous speed like 500mph or something (Okay, it wasn't that high, but when you're driving speeds of 120mph plus and you're taking pics at the same time, it must feel like 500).

·
Registered
77 Posts
To all traffic police,

If you will note, all the preceeding posts in this thread alluding to a reckless disregard to the speeding laws of this great nation were by owner's of Mysterious, Sly, Pure or Cool colored solstices. :devil: You may take this as notice that Aggressive colored solstice drivers allways obey the local speed laws and you can omit timing all Aggressive colored solstices and spend your time more productively timing Mysterious, Sly, Pure or Cool colored solstices only. ;) This will be a more efficient use of taxpayer money as owners of Agressive colored solstices are upstanding representatives of the community and would never speed. :patriot:

·
Registered
819 Posts
anxious one said:
To all traffic police,

If you will note, all the preceeding posts in this thread alluding to a reckless disregard to the speeding laws of this great nation were by owner's of Mysterious, Sly, Pure or Cool colored solstices. :devil: You may take this as notice that Aggressive colored solstice drivers allways obey the local speed laws and you can omit timing all Aggressive colored solstices and spend your time more productively timing Mysterious, Sly, Pure or Cool colored solstices only. ;) This will be a more efficient use of taxpayer money as owners of Agressive colored solstices are upstanding representatives of the community and would never speed. :patriot:
:agree: :agree: :agree:

·
Premium Member
9,964 Posts
crawdadsolstice said:
:agree: :agree: :agree:
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Editguy said:
Marco has pics of his speedo at some ridiculous speed like 500mph or something (Okay, it wasn't that high, but when you're driving speeds of 120mph plus and you're taking pics at the same time, it must feel like 500).
The tough part of taking pictures at that speed is focusing. I gotta get me one of those auto focus camera's :lol:

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/29215311831.jpg&s=x10

·
Registered
542 Posts
Well, how did she handle? I take it pretty well since you were able to take a picture while doing it...but elaborate for us...did the car kinda move closer to the ground and feel like she was eating road? or was the car light on its feet?

I've had my Jetta that fast (120 mph) and thought the car handle really well. In the case of the Jetta, it felt like it hunkered downd and was just gobbling pavement, much like my Z3 when I had that. I've only gotten up to 90 so far with my Sol...just haven't found the right road to wind it out where visibility is was enough that I could tell all was clear...

I thought today was going to be the day that I could wind it out but too many people on the road and I was driving in unfamiliar territory. No sense putting others at risk.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
wannasolstice2 said:
Well, how did she handle? I take it pretty well since you were able to take a picture while doing it...but elaborate for us...did the car kinda move closer to the ground and feel like she was eating road? or was the car light on its feet?

I've had my Jetta that fast (120 mph) and thought the car handle really well. In the case of the Jetta, it felt like it hunkered downd and was just gobbling pavement, much like my Z3 when I had that. I've only gotten up to 90 so far with my Sol...just haven't found the right road to wind it out where visibility is was enough that I could tell all was clear...

I thought today was going to be the day that I could wind it out but too many people on the road and I was driving in unfamiliar territory. No sense putting others at risk.
It handles well. It was a little strange doing that kind of speed with the top down. I had my old motorcycle up to 115.

I remember seeing bikers blow by me on the autobahn wondering how they were handling 150 or so.
A front air dam wouldn't hurt.
The main handling I care about is between 30 and 80. Its wonderful there.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Legs

:( 55 is all we can do on Maui since the new ban on speed went into effect this month so top down and cool :cool: island ride will be fine.
:devil: However eastern Montana is going to be flat out next summer :devil: Thank you very much. If the Sol had more power i'm sure it would need dams and wings to keep her down on the road. The big GT sports cars that did 170 in the old days got real touchy on long straights. Thats when they started putting those little "KAM" lips on the back end. They weren't for looks like they are today on the MX5.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hey Agressives out there!

YOU ARE SCREWED :devil:

I get stopped in my damn RED Saturn SC2 more than I'd like.

Sure you'll be getting all the chicks ;) , but watch out for the fuzz. the car already looks like its going 60 just standing there.

At my age I can't afford all that police attention, you lucky suckers enjoy :) .

·
Premium Member
9,964 Posts
silversolstice said:
Hey Agressives out there!

YOU ARE SCREWED :devil:

I get stopped in my damn RED Saturn SC2 more than I'd like.

Sure you'll be getting all the chicks ;) , but watch out for the fuzz. the car already looks like its going 60 just standing there.

At my age I can't afford all that police attention, you lucky suckers enjoy :) .
:lol: Chicks need not apply :)

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
anxious one said:
Aggressive colored solstice drivers allways obey the local speed laws. . . . This will be a more efficient use of taxpayer money as owners of Agressive colored solstices are upstanding representatives of the community and would never speed. :patriot:
Us Aggressive Solstice owners never, never drive aggressively, well, hardly ever. :) :lol: :cool:

·
Registered
895 Posts
According to one of the Auto Mag reviews, "Top Speed" = 123. The said there was a built in electronic cut off at that speed. I guess the car might go faster than that but the electronics wont allow it. :(

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
orlando said:
According to one of the Auto Mag reviews, "Top Speed" = 123. The said there was a built in electronic cut off at that speed. I guess the car might go faster than that but the electronics wont allow it. :(
Do the electronics cut off only in 4th and 5th?

·
Registered
895 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
Do the electronics cut off only in 4th and 5th?

I am not sure. It was one of those head to head Solstice vs Miata write ups. I think it was Auto Week. Not their first write up but their second. They had all these specs. They had "Top Speed". Next to the 123mph*, they had a "* " . At the bottom pf the page the * said somthing about limited do to electronics. Something like that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts