Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah it may be a tough for most ot answer this time of year but thought I'd give it a shot. (maybe some forum members in the hotter/southern/western locales can help?)

I got to briefly test drive a Sol a while back and in the mid 80s with a strong sun and humidity and top down I didn't have a lot to go on but it didn't seem too impressive.

So I'm just curious if anyone in hotter climates has had a chance to reasonable use their ACs and what their experiences have been? How cold was the duct temp and was there enough of a blast of air volume with fan on high?

2 things I'm concerned about - ability to cool down after sitting out on a triple digit day with a black top or ability to 'take the edge off' if driving with the top down and being very hot outside.

thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
A/c

I have found the A/C to be very effective but I believe since the cabin is so small compared to other cars I've had, that it doesn't take much to cool the car after it's been sitting in the hot sun. Another option is to just put the top down, get in the wind and just enjoy the ride. :cool:
How's the heater?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Believe me when I tell you, the AC and Heater are more than adequate.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK - thanks for the feedback. But I do have to say that top down at 2P when its 114F and not a cloud in the sky - is a gutsy call for an extended drive.

I guess I take heaters for granted since all my old British roadsters seemed to do well in that department. But yes, good point - for motoring with the top down in the winter that would be just as important.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hot foot

:agree: Having lived my life in British roadsters I know what you mean about summer driving with the top down.
However the Solstice does not cook your feet the the Brits do, so top down in the summer is going to feel a lot cooler than you are used to. :cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
The heater in this car is great. Excellent defrost, front and rear. A couple of things to remember when riding wih the top down in very hot weather. 1. The majority of body heat developed comes from your mid section. This is from your waist to your neck.
So, when going down the road at 70 mph, keep those vents aimed at your mid-section, not your head. There is less wind turbulance at your stomach level than at your head. 2. Body temp. travels from your lower body up to your head. So, as you
cool the lower parts, it will travel up-ward, to your shoulders, neck, and head. I
rode with the top down on a 91 degree day, at 70 mph, and the A/C did quite well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts