Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the following threads
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/buttress-pin-wont-release-19635/

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/trunk-wont-open-57670/index5.html#post1005656

I tried pegboard tool, screwdriver and the damn BBQ Skewer that someone suggested. That gave and went through my old shirt I had for protection and scratched the hell out of my baby.

I tried a dental pick with no success.

Finally I went to a big box store and found this for 8 bucks

I didn't have any success with the "pulling" method from the pin hole to the center of the trunk. I decided to try Rob the Elder's method of "pushing" to the center of the trunk.

Solstice Convertible Top Buttress release - YouTube

Now i just need to buy two fishing line weights and I can start searching for an airbrush repair guy.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I used a wire coat hanger and rob's push method, took a few mins to find the spot but it worked.

To "fix it" I used a clamp like thing I bought at home depot. It is two small pieces of metal with a screw in each side, when you tighten the two screws it sandwiches the two plates together biting down on the cable. It is kinda a patch job I guess but the fact is it is better than the OEM solution of using cheap plastic that will eventually fail again, well at least it won't fail at that end of the cable........

·
Registered
292 Posts
JohnRR and I ran the trunk cable relieve
to inside the driver side back panel.
If it fails with the top up you can still get in.
Reinstall panel out of site.
LLLFLY

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
It would have to be the leaky water pumps

Stuck buttress and the leaky water pumps.

·
Registered
278 Posts
JohnRR and I ran the trunk cable relieve
to inside the driver side back panel.
If it fails with the top up you can still get in.
Reinstall panel out of site.
LLLFLY
Has anyone confirmed this will work? I don't think the trunk release would work, as it's the cable opening the buttress pin lock that stops working (the plastic end piece breaks). You may be able to release the trunk latch but the pin won't release.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Has anyone confirmed this will work? I don't think the trunk release would work, as it's the cable opening the buttress pin lock that stops working (the plastic end piece breaks). You may be able to release the trunk latch but the pin won't release.
Correct. This mod will not work if the clip(s) bust and the buttress(es) fail to release. The only solution is the top access with a probe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts