Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wel , ive had a few droptops in my past , and have always had the practice of keeping the top on the up position when im done using the car. this was done to maintain the integrity of the frame as well as avoiding the marks associated with the folds. since our cars ar pretty much a bi-fold, do you guys leave the top down and stowed for longer periods of time? also right now i always lay some kind of cloth down on top od the top to avoid the chafe with the trunk lid.

you thought welcome

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have had mine down 95% of the time since I bought it in 2010. Seems just as good as new. I park in in a garage and use a cover.

CA Sam

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I leave mine down for weeks sometimes when I use my tonneau. I also use the "Kappa Blanket" when I have the top down. My top is in great shape.:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts

I leave ours up to keep the inside of the cars as dust free as possible, and it reduces wear in my opinion

:agree:

...mine stays in the garage, but it does get dusty in there.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Months. If the weather is dry and between 60-90, top is down. Only issue is the little trapezoidal rubber bumpers on the inside of the trunk lid that press the top down have left permanent indentations in the fabric. No biggie in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Same for me. Because I live in GA. it is down most of the time, but I haven't any issues other than the bumper marks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks all .. that gives me a good idea of how they behave over time.

cheers

·
Registered
306 Posts
I usually leave it up when not using it for a day or two. I find it keeps the shape better, especiall where it folds (where the fabric wears a bit). When I put it down, I put a microfibre cloth in between the folds and seems to help keep the wear and tear down.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I almost never put my top up.

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
Mine stays down most of the time, but I will put it up if I know I'm not going to be using the car for more than a couple of weeks.

I completely removed the trapezoidal bumpers after the rubber pads came off for the second time. They don't serve any purpose that I can see.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Mine's down most of the time, unless there's rain in the forecast. I was caught off guard once and was rained on; last and only time.

@JRinKY: interesting about removing the rubber bumbers. Tho, you'd think they'd be there for some reason; maybe just to hold the top in place so it doesn't clank around while driving over rough roads of going over bumps.

@EarthNTX: I place a microfiber towel between the top and the deck lid when it's down, just to keep rubbing to a minimum.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Down most of the time. Had to get rid of the black "bumpers" due to rubbing the black off onto the top; My top is Lightside. I used some of the beige material one buys to put on the bottom of furniture legs and made bumpers out of that. Works good.

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
I think that the bumpers are there to add leverage to fully compress the top when you shut the lid. If you do that by hand, as specified in the manual, they aren't necessary.

It has only been five years and about 80k miles since I took mine off, but I have yet to see any evidence of the top moving around, and I have certainly never heard any clanking.

I think this is one of those things that it looked like there would be a good reason for during the design process, but that turned out to be a liability instead.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I think that the bumpers are there to add leverage to fully compress the top when you shut the lid. If you do that by hand, as specified in the manual, they aren't necessary.

It has only been five years and about 80k miles since I took mine off, but I have yet to see any evidence of the top moving around, and I have certainly never heard any clanking.

I think this is one of those things that it looked like there would be a good reason for during the design process, but that turned out to be a liability instead.
I agree. I kept finding mine rolling around loose in the trunk, so eventually I stopped glueing them back on. Just push the top down fully and they are not required.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I removed those rubber/plastic bumpers last night and the top rattled all the way in to work.. Ha, just kidding. It was quiet as usual. I'll be 303'ing the top this weekend, maybe I can remove the indentation with a soft brush while cleaning it.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
I keep my top down until it's too cold or the moobs get sunburned.

Oh, wait, you're talking about the CAR's top. :blush:

Interesting feedback. I'd suspect leaving it down all the time would create creases or potential seam problems, but doesn't sound like it does from those of you that do so. I personally keep it up to keep dust out of the interior because my garage is not yet kept as clean as it will be.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts