Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at resale rates and wondering about the future. Mine is already at 77,000 and I still love it as the first day I got it. It's just now it's starting to show it's age with all these issues with the censors and all that. I know that all vehicles eventually go through this but this is my first car and I was curious how long you guys think these cars will last on average if you just did what you could and drove them regularly for set amount of years. Mine was a 2006 and I'm hoping I can take it to perhaps 2020 if I'm lucky...

·
Registered
57 Posts
With proper care and maintenance there is no reason your car cant last longer than you. Sure it will need some repairs and restoration here and there but that's all part of the joy of owning an older vehicle. Honestly the real limiting factor is going to be availability of electronic components, eventually no one will want to produce the old technology components just for a niche group of a few hundred or less cars.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
With proper care and maintenance there is no reason your car cant last longer than you. Sure it will need some repairs and restoration here and there but that's all part of the joy of owning an older vehicle. Honestly the real limiting factor is going to be availability of electronic components, eventually no one will want to produce the old technology components just for a niche group of a few hundred or less cars.
When that happens, you just pull the 2.4 ecotec and put in a carberated V8 and carry on. All the rest can be hard wired.

·
Registered
260 Posts
this ^ and with that being said you can always drop something updated into the car. Once the current engine or electronics go, you can replace them with new "american" or import components for example i have a lovely rotary sitting here, and while i don't know if it will end up in the solstice, there are always V8's, and with GM currently still developing more ecoboost engine, you will be able to find a replacement if the le5 bites the dust. I'm hoping to give this to my children ( only 22) when it is my to go. So at least 30-50 year with me. Electronics can be updated, and engines can be replaced. :thumbs:

·
Registered
432 Posts
My car has 71,000 miles on it and it still runs great though some parts have been replaced under warranty and there has been some maintenance replacements (tires, suspension, etc) But my thought is that at 200,000 miles when my motor dies I will either put a V8 in there or replace the LNF with another.

Short answer is as long as you don't total your car there will be at least a few options to keep it on the road longer than you or I will be around!

·
Registered
157 Posts
That is one concern I always think about. I see all the antiques and classics at shows and cruise-ins that are owned by the original owners... and think how lucky they are that their parts are mainly mechanical, while mine has loads of electronics. I wonder though, will companies like YearOne, JC Whitney, or similar companies make replacement computers/electronics and body parts for newer collectible cars etc. like they do for the cars from the 60s & 70s? I sure hope so.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a Fiero that is 28 years old and still runs great.

You just have to take care of the car, keep up with the maintenance, and do the repairs as necessary. Even if it needs an engine or transmission down the road, those can be replaced too and if you love the car and keep it in good overall shape, it is worth it.

Don't worry about resale. Owning a car because you love it isn't about it's book value.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have a Fiero that is 28 years old and still runs great.

You just have to take care of the car, keep up with the maintenance, and do the repairs as necessary. Even if it needs an engine or transmission down the road, those can be replaced too and if you love the car and keep it in good overall shape, it is worth it.

Don't worry about resale. Owning a car because you love it isn't about it's book value.
Amen brother!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Don't forget it used a lot of off the shelf parts, the engine and electronics were not unique to this model (the fuse box says "dome light").

·
Registered
763 Posts
The world will run out of gas before it runs out of Pontiac parts. What an ideal car for a brand new 2020 Corvette Electro-Tek!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Shocked? I recall the cost of my new car, depreciation, taxes, higher insurance premiums, loan interest costs. On the other hand, you can consider upgrading sensibly. This is the reason to maintain your car well. Not only will it last a longer period and give you reliable service. An old car doesn’t mean you will look out of fashion. You can turn it into something amazing and make people eyes turn to your car. The old car must have lots of memory. You take an old car and modernize it with an updated engine, suspension, brakes, tires, electronics, and if you do it the right way, you can revert back to stock at any time. The outer body is the main attention so you will need new paint. Then you must give something new and modern style on the car that transforms it from ordinary to extra ordinary. Projector headlights will instantly transform your car appearance. Changing the wheels can also be a great transformation. Now you can go for the interior. This is the place when you feel the comfort while driving. Adding more entertainment will help you drive with fun. Lots of sophisticated gadget can be install on your car, even big screen.

·
Super Moderator
16,393 Posts
The vehicle electronics should not be a big issue. the ECM and BCM are reused designs from other GM cars.

The things that will be interesting will be the truly unique body parts, rubber seals and cables. The trunk release cable assembly for example is a unique electro mechanical assembly that is still in stock but may not be forever.

I have also read that the rear O2 sensor has been out of stock along with the slave / throughout bearing assembly.

And of course the bits and pieces that make up the convertible top structure.

Fortunately Marvic has lots of spares and I know where he lives. :devil::thumbs:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
They will last as long as there is interest but more importantly; ingenuity. Cuba's an interesting, living, time-capsule, of how American cars continue to be maintained long after the US started a trade embargo in 1962.

Yank tank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
457 Posts
(the fuse box says "dome light").
That's for YOUR dome!!

Seriously, I plan to keep it running as long as I am. The body is a truly unique and timeless design - not a box or triangle with wheels. Where there is a will there is a way.

Now where is my Mr. Fusion device.....:devil:

·
Registered
8 Posts
The good news (for the GXP owners anyway) is that LNF variants are alive and well in lots of new models coming out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How about BODY parts like fenders, etc. How many years will they be available for BOTH SOL and SKY? Where can you get body parts now in case of a fender bender?

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
It's just now it's starting to show it's age with all these issues with the censors and all that.
Someone censored your car?? Tell us who and we'll help you track the varmint down! :devil:

I have a 1988 Fiero with around 225,000 km on it that is still going strong. The general expectation these days is that drive lines should last about 200,000 miles if not abused, so your car will probably fall apart around the engine.

On that carbbed V8 swap bit, be aware that some jurisdictions don't allow retrofitting - whatever goes in there has to run as clean (and sometimes needs to be no older than) the year of your vehicle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts