Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sometimes don't catch typos fast enough to be able to edit them. How long a period is there for a user to edit any of his posts?

Color me curious.

: curious :

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
That service was cancelled during the latest big forum upgrade.

Catch your typos in 24hrs then you can edit. In case it takes your longer you are miata-ed.

·
Super Moderator
6,451 Posts
I sometimes don't catch typos fast enough to be able to edit them. How long a period is there for a user to edit any of his posts?

Color me curious.

You have 24 hours, Dave. After that you can message me and I will edit it for you.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have 24 hours, Dave. After that you can message me and I will edit it for you.
I'm not going to bother you for a freaking typo, it's far easier to just ignore this place and not bother to respond at all.

: seeya :

·
Premium Member
10,345 Posts
They should give us at least 72 hours to be able to edit a post, that is pretty poor service and it should not require a moderator to be contact it to do something like that.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This 24 hour limitation is pure BS. I just checked over on Sky Roadster, and I could still edit my posts from a couple of years ago.

Why the difference? New policies to go with the new software?

While I was there I found one of my posts from 2005, and I could still edit it. Sky Roadster and this forum are owned by the same company, why the differences?

I also visited the Subaru BRZ forum, another forum owned by this company running the older software, and was able to edit one of my first posts from 2012.

So, the next question: Is this edit limitation hard wired into the new software, or is this something that can be adjusted?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bumping to the top of the list for visibility. I'd really like to know whether this 24 hour (I assume) edit limitation is a "feature" of this new software or whether this is a new policy of the owners of these forums.

Are the administrators and/or moderators able to address this issue?

·
Super Moderator
6,451 Posts
Now they need to implement a count-down clock somewhere on the page.
: ticking :
While there isn't a countdown timer available, there is a count-up timer in the header line.

I'm not going to bother you for a freaking typo, it's far easier to just ignore this place and not bother to respond at all.
Well, that will certainly reduce the possibility of making and missing a typo. Probably save you some time, as well.

Bumping to the top of the list for visibility. I'd really like to know whether this 24 hour (I assume) edit limitation is a "feature" of this new software or whether this is a new policy of the owners of these forums.

Are the administrators and/or moderators able to address this issue?
Moderators are not able to change the time limitation on editing. Kathy has stated that she can't either.

For the record, the old format had a 30-day editing limit. It was instituted after an unhappy member deleted all of the information he had ever posted.

One last note: If you want the system administrators to see an issue you are having, we have been asked to encourage you to post it in the Community Feedback thread.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
About what I thought, thanks for the reply. This is the Community Help forum in the Community Help Section of the board. I thought I was asking in the proper place. I'll study your responses a bit after this response, but I doubt I'll respond further. Thanks. John.

: thumbs :

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the record, the old format had a 30-day editing limit. It was instituted after an unhappy member deleted all of the information he had ever posted.
I just went back on Sky Roadster to a post about 13 months old and edited it by adding a line. I went away, and came back and the edit was still there, so I deleted the addition, putting the message back where it was before the edit, and that also worked, No 30 day limit there.

Again, Thanks for the replies.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,451 Posts
I just went back on Sky Roadster to a post about 13 months old and edited it by adding a line. I went away, and came back and the edit was still there, so I deleted the addition, putting the message back where it was before the edit, and that also worked, No 30 day limit there.

Again, Thanks for the replies.

Dave

Correct, no limit on the Sky forum. The 30-day limit was here only.

·
Super Moderator
6,451 Posts
About what I thought, thanks for the reply. This is the Community Help forum in the Community Help Section of the board. I thought I was asking in the proper place. I'll study your responses a bit after this response, but I doubt I'll respond further. Thanks. John.

As it turns out, you did ask in the correct place after all. When I went to do it, your concern had already been forwarded to the site administration.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While there isn't a countdown timer available, there is a count-up timer in the header line.
I hadn't thought about that line as being a countup timer, but yes, it is a timer, and yes, it is counting up.

Again, thanks for the response.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
This 24 hour limitation is pure BS. I just checked over on Sky Roadster, and I could still edit my posts from a couple of years ago.

Why the difference? New policies to go with the new software?

While I was there I found one of my posts from 2005, and I could still edit it. Sky Roadster and this forum are owned by the same company, why the differences?

I also visited the Subaru BRZ forum, another forum owned by this company running the older software, and was able to edit one of my first posts from 2012.

So, the next question: Is this edit limitation hard wired into the new software, or is this something that can be adjusted?

It would be wonderful if we had unlimited edit to our posts. Would make my coupe registry a dream!!! This new limit to edit really made updating difficult.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
I’m totally for changing edit times.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Yeah - even the 30 day limit was not really required. So what if a member gets pissed and wants to delete their posts? I know that can impact the rest of us by the loss of good info, but it's their right to remove their work as a red-booded Amercun!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Moderators are not able to change the time limitation on editing. Kathy has stated that she can't either.

For those of you who may have missed this, Kathy is MomsSol, who is an exalted Administrator.

If an Administrator cannot changed the time limit on editing messages, the edit limitations are probably built in to the current version of the software running on this forum. I guess we're going to have to live with it, as it isn't going to change.

I'm done tilting at this particular windmill.

Dave

·
Administrator
9,207 Posts
FWIW.....I’m not done fighting for this yet. We survived just fine with the 30 day limit for many years and don’t know why this cannot be adjusted now.

Also, not that effects everyone, there are things I had access to do previously now I can’t.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts