Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,708 Posts
One thing that gets me:

Why can we edit posts (albeit within an arbitrarily short time frame), but not delete?

The last explanation I heard was that deleting posts "interferes with the narrative," which I find to be a BS excuse. If we're not allowed to delete, then we shouldn't be allowed to edit.

(I am not advocating for removing the ability to edit.)

It feels like a few designers had a concept meeting and we're the guinea pigs of its outcome.
The difference that I can see between deleting and editing is that editing a post, even to the point of removing all of its content, leaves a placeholder to show that something was there. This makes it more likely that subsequent posts that refer to it will make a little sense or be slightly less dis-jointed than would be the case if there was nothing where the post used to be.

Oh, and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

·
Administrator
513 Posts
We should be rolling out solutions to editing In the first few weeks of Q1, we will not be providing this ability to deleting. More that just creating holes in the narrative, it creates holes in the site. Indexing and reindexing errors may cause pages to break and errors to populate pages.
We hope to avoid that, while still giving out the functions you're looking for.

-Gerrit

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Please consider making WickedMike a moderator !

That way he can always edit the famous, important and beloved Coupe Registry !

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
We should be rolling out solutions to editing In the first few weeks of Q1, we will not be providing this ability to deleting. More that just creating holes in the narrative, it creates holes in the site. Indexing and reindexing errors may cause pages to break and errors to populate pages.
We hope to avoid that, while still giving out the functions you're looking for.

-Gerrit
The typical solution to this is to include a nullable "date_deleted" column in your message table. When "deleting," you just set it to the current datetime rather than actually deleting the row and filter the display list based on that. This maintains referential integrity. There is no technical reason to remove the ability to delete a message as evidenced by, say, every other forum that allows this.

I fail to see how a message that says "DELETE DELETED DELETED" is better than just not showing anything at all. That is a messy distraction. Looking back through forum history, I have yet to run across a situation where I thought that the "narrative" was "holey" because of a deleted post.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The edit button disappears after an indeterminent length of time. Check the little 3-dot icon to the right side of the header line of the message. I so rarely leave messages on this forum after the changes that I've forgotten where it used to be.

:dunno:

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
The edit button disappears after an indeterminent length of time. Check the little 3-dot icon to the right side of the header line of the message. I so rarely leave messages on this forum after the changes that I've forgotten where it used to be.

:dunno:

Problem with mine is that it went away and never came back at all.

·
Super Moderator
6,708 Posts
Up until recently I had an edit icon and was able to correct posts. Has something changed? Can't find the edit button now.
Look to the far right in line with your name on the post you want to edit and you should see three dots in a vertical line. Click that and you should get a drop down that includes edit. Click that to edit your post.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts