Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

How long if i didnt order

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Crimson Avenger 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i havent even looked at a dealership, thought about ordering or anything, i want one, but my $$$ is tight right now and i dont have an extra grand or so just to throw down on a hold spot, unless i sell my S2K, so

How long do you think it will be from right now, if i havent ordered it, to get:
The solstice:
or
The sky:

#2 ·
Skyolstice said:
Hey guys, i havent even looked at a dealership, thought about ordering or anything, i want one, but my $$$ is tight right now and i dont have an extra grand or so just to throw down on a hold spot, unless i sell my S2K, so

How long do you think it will be from right now, if i havent ordered it, to get:
The solstice:
or
The sky:
Best estimate, next spring. Which wouldn't be all that bad.

#4 ·
mceb said:
Yea, late winter or early spring sounds about right. Would also have a choice because Sky comes out in spring '06.
Thats what i thought, like Feb, or March of next year, thats not so bad, i hope some people start getting them in like october or nov. i want to see one so damn bad, and test drive it, and just...just look at it in person.

#5 ·
Are you all saying that Sols will be available on dealer lots in late winter early spring, available to anyone? Or are you saying if you order now, you'll get one then.

Same question, but for the Sky, when will we be able to see one on a lot, and be able to buy it on the spot?

#7 ·
Billabongi said:
You wont see one on a lot till late next year Id say. The first 4th month allocation is done for at almost every dealer. Cars wont start rolling out untill august or october and you expect to see one on a lot in feb? Your odds are not good.
I agree, with the first 4 month allocation almost all spoken for, it would be reasonable that the second month allocation may see a heavy number of pre-sales too. Its most likely going to be well into next year before you can walk onto a dealer and drive home.

However, that depends on your location too. There are probably some areas of the country where the demand is not as high, and dealers may have available inventory fairly early compared to high demand areas.

I am not sure I would make a guess for the Sky yet. Until they have allocation set and we see how many get pre-ordered, it is hard to make a guess on how popular it will be. However, I have a feeling it will see a similar amount of popularity to the Sol.

#8 ·
Have to think with 8000 pre-orders you ain't getting in now until next year...hence best guess next winter if you put down money now to get into 2nd 4 month allocation. Could be small chance you'd slip in to a dealer that has not sold their first allocation.

As far as when they'll be hanging around on lots, I'd have to guess fall '06. I think they'll have another surge next spring.

#9 ·
You may want to try talking to dealers about the Sky. Since it's so far off, you may be able to get by with a minimal deposit. Before the Solstice aired on the Apprentice, a couple people reported holding their cars with only a $50 or $100 token deposit. These cars won't be hard to unload, so dealers probably won't be too uptight about getting huge deposits ... they're completely refundable anyway. And the size of deposit is up to the dealer, so make some calls and see if they'll work with you. The worst they can do is say "no".

#11 ·
To be honest, I'm gonna be happy with it being next year before I get into one. I don't want to be too impetuous. plus, money is tight for me as well. I live in what I consider to be a low-demand area (rural oklahoma), so hopefully I can get one fairly easily when I think it's time. Also, my location might help me getting one for MSRP. I'll have plenty of money saved up to spend on an aftermarket sound system (sorry, even the premium factory systems don't provide enough bang for my buck.) Speaking of aftermarket, is anyone making turbo kits for these cars yet?

#13 ·
There is a search for it, put in "Sound Clip" and youll find a post i made with the Sky clip, im assuming the solstice will sound the same.

See money wouldnt be that tight if i didnt have 3 cars, the only one i can sell is the S2K, because its paid off, but im not sellin it until i drive one, so i kinda got it tight with an M3 payment, and an RSX payment, plus insurance, rent food, ya know all the stuff in life. but once i get in a sky and drive it, or a solstice, if i like it, ill sell my S2k, and pay cash for it right there.

#14 ·
Fformula88 said:
I agree, with the first 4 month allocation almost all spoken for, it would be reasonable that the second month allocation may see a heavy number of pre-sales too. Its most likely going to be well into next year before you can walk onto a dealer and drive home.

However, that depends on your location too. There are probably some areas of the country where the demand is not as high, and dealers may have available inventory fairly early compared to high demand areas.
But don’t forget that a dealer may buy a car from his allocation just to put in his showroom. I know I would – what better way to drum up future sales. Most people haven’t even heard of the Solstice, let alone seen one. Now I doubt they would do it with their first 4 month allocation but I’ll bet they would with their next allocation. I’d load the car with every option, stick it in the showroom and sell it just prior to receiving a showroom car from my third allocation.

#15 ·
you could probably hold a spot with a $500 deposit. an s2k book value is probably 5k off a new solstice loaded. as much as i want my solstice, if my order wasn't in and i had an s2k for this summer, i'd probably wait until next spring to make a switch

#16 ·
Skyolstice said:
See money wouldn't be that tight if i didn't have 3 cars, the only one i can sell is the S2K, because its paid off, but I'm not selling it until i drive one
You might keep tabs on the Solstice and/or Pontiac clubs as they spring up in your area. If you go to a few of the gatherings, I'll wager you can get a test drive from one of the proud owners. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.