Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a load question, but if a top is maintain what is the avg life.
Area would be along Lake Ontario

·
Registered
403 Posts
it really depends on how well it is maintained, but at a minimum it should look great for at least first 2 years, and still be in good condition for the first 10 years.

I'm only basing those numbers on the MG Midget, Triumph Spitfire and two Miatas that I have owned.

All had original tops and my solution to fading was to have them recolored.
($60 or so)

The top material they are using on the Solstice is very good so actual wear may be better than the above numbers.

First change you will see is fading.

It will take neglect or out of the ordinary wear to impact the operation of the top.

that is my two cents anyway.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Because the top stores in the trunk when folded down, we won't have to worry about the underside fading like on a car that has a boot cover. How many convertibles do you see running around without boot covers? They are a hassle and they take up trunk space when the top is up. That's one less thing to carry around.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Also being a modern car it's using mcuh newer materials. So you might get a longer life span out of this roof. As jimmyo said to since it stows away completely as well it'll stay out of the sun and weather when down.

·
Registered
288 Posts
let me ask you guys this...

As someone whom has never owned a convertible, if it's morning and their is still dew on the top does it have to be wiped off before stowing it in the trunk to prevent mildew or anything like that?

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I've owned three convertibles, a '63 Triumph Spitfire, '66 Chevy Impala, and a 2000 Mazda Miada and I have never had a problem with mildew. Fading has been my biggest problem because the hassle of putting on the boot has "trained" me to leave it in the trunk and to run with the top exposed. After two years my Miata was showing signs of fading. My Chevy showed signs of fading almost immediately but that was at a time when top materials were not as advanced as they are today.

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The roof is made of Haarts cloth.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Since i'm going to be running my Solstice all winter long, what will the snow and Ice do to the top? Will the weight of the snow warp the top? Will the cold temp crack the cloth?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Since i'm going to be running my Solstice all winter long, what will the snow and Ice do to the top? Will the weight of the snow warp the top? Will the cold temp crack the cloth?
You should be fine in the winter. The top should be designed to hold the weight of the snow, and it won't develop cracks. Just clear the snow off of it as you would with any car.

The worst thing for it in the winter is the road salt and the fine sand/stones that are mixed with the road salt. Its abbrasive and not the best thing for the top. So be sure to wash the top of this debris before putting it down, or rubbing very hard on it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Since we know a removeable hard top is in the works, I bet the longevity of some peoples soft tops will increase greatly...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with what some of the others have said here that the material used for ragtops as well as the treatments used to prolong the life of a ragtop (I use RAGGTOPP Cleaner and RAGGTOPP Protectant, which, IMHO is the best) have greatly improved and extended the life expectancy of todays ragtop.
And if you garage your roadster overnight, your ragtop will probably out live you.
OTOH, if you park it outside, stay away from parking it under trees. Tree sap and birdy poop are kryptonite to a ragtop.
Now if only they could make a ragtop out of genuine Saskatchewan Seal skins, eh? :lol:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Roadster1 said:
This company doesn't make the top, the top is made by Dura Convertables which is a division of Collins & Aikman based in Troy, MI
They are only making a protectant/cleaner.

Haartz makes the cloth that Dura is using to make the tops. A different company altogether makes the protectant. But I appreciate that everyone on the forums is trying to make sure we have correct information.

Welcome to the forum Roadster1 . . .
:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Got it

I thought about that after I joined the thread (no pun intended).
I realized that Dura likely didn't make the material....my mistake :( .

But I still can't wait to get mine...(wifes).

I saw one yesterday on my way to work...it looks even better in real life compared to pictures.

Thanks for your correction and for the welcome,

Mike

·
Registered
189 Posts
Roadster1 said:
I thought about that after I joined the thread (no pun intended).
I realized that Dura likely didn't make the material....my mistake :( .

But I still can't wait to get mine...(wifes).

I saw one yesterday on my way to work...it looks even better in real life compared to pictures.

Thanks for your correction and for the welcome,

Mike
Where did you see one? :skep: And welcome to the forum :cheers:

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'm trying to decide whether to get a solstice now, or wait a year. Does anyone know if the removeable hardtop will retrofit to the 2006?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts