Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much louder does a HFC or catless downpipe make a stock exhaust GXP? I want a louder exhaust (not too extreme) but I know cat back gives no gains. So if I could spend the money on a downpipe instead which gives more power and enough sound to satisfy then that is a win-win.

·
Registered
79 Posts

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Here's mine with Solo HFC and Solo Street Race exhaust (no muffler). You have to remember, some cars didn't even come with a muffler from the factory if they were turbo charged.

It's also my understanding you don't want to get rid of your cat as you will have awful raw gas smell.... Just a tidbit...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the videos guys.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I picked up a magnaflow catback when I got the car last year because I thought it was too quiet. Just put in a werks catted dp a few days ago. Not loud at all. Barely noticeable for normal driving. WOT sounds much deeper. Exactly the sound I was after.

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
I have a Magnaflow catback exhaust, a custom HP tune and a Solo cat. I did the Magnaflow catback first. It was an improvement in sound over stock. Not too loud an no drone at highway speeds. Later, I installed the tune and the Solo HFC. I improved the sound even more, especially the burble sound when slowing under compression. Here's a video I made about a year ago with the camera attached at the rear license plate between the exhaust tips while I made a quick run along Pacific Coast Highway in Capistrano Beach, CA. Still not too loud IMO, even when near the police (if I'm careful.) I had a cold air intake on my '07 NA, and a CAI will make the car much louder than my exhaust modifications. My CAI was an noisy attention getter, with no improvement in performance. I did like the sound, but I had to be careful to avoid gettin notice by the man.

P1010687.MOV - YouTube

1 - 7 of 7 Posts