Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking..
We established that there are roughly 9-10K orders for Sols. By this I assume we are talking about money down, VOM assigned orders correct?
If this is true then another question arises. If GM plans on producing 9000+ orders by end of '05, what cars are actually included in that? The reason I ask is I originally placed my order back in April but wound up #41 on the waitlist - that puts me in the dealer's 2nd or 3rd allocation. Now, I have my money down and received my VOM. So when GM says they have 9-10K "orders", what are we really talking about here? I don't see how they could plan on producing ALL 9K orders if that goes past the dealer's original allocation.

I know I'm probably going around in circles here. I'm just trying to figure out when GM says 9-10K orders what orders are they including? If not all, then how many more orders are out there that we don't know about?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...it's a great mystery

SD SOL said:
I was just thinking..
We established that there are roughly 9-10K orders for Sols. By this I assume we are talking about money down, VOM assigned orders correct?
If this is true then another question arises. If GM plans on producing 9000+ orders by end of '05, what cars are actually included in that? The reason I ask is I originally placed my order back in April but wound up #41 on the waitlist - that puts me in the dealer's 2nd or 3rd allocation. Now, I have my money down and received my VOM. So when GM says they have 9-10K "orders", what are we really talking about here? I don't see how they could plan on producing ALL 9K orders if that goes past the dealer's original allocation.

I know I'm probably going around in circles here. I'm just trying to figure out when GM says 9-10K orders what orders are they including? If not all, then how many more orders are out there that we don't know about?
There are other threads on the allocation system. I think mapping the entire human genome was easier than understanding it though. Good luck.
:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I think those figures count everyone with an order in system (most are not picked up yet). Yes those orders will span into 2nd allocation.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
RichSol said:
There are other threads on the allocation system. I think mapping the entire human genome was easier than understanding it though. Good luck.
Thanks RichSol, it wasn't really a question about allocations though. It more a question of what GM designates as "orders".
mceb said:
I think those figures count everyone with an order in system (most are not picked up yet). Yes those orders will span into 2nd allocation.
That was my assumption as well. So am I correct in assuming they plan on completing all orders even if they go beyond the first allocation? That doesn't make any sense does it? Will they just keep the cars around or will they send more than the dealer is allocated?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Small Dealer answered this on another thread

If you are in the second allocation, what might help is a rethink of the distribution. So if the first four months allocated 10 cars to Anchorage and sold 2 and 20 to Miami but sold 50, while you may be out of luck with regard to the first allocation, they may rejig the second allocation to better match the demand.

SD jump in with a reality check please.

·
Registered
212 Posts
SD SOL said:
I was just thinking..

I would think there will be numerous anamolies at work on the allocation process, based on the following educated guesses:

1) Solstice allocations will be based on dealer volume. The more volume, the higher the allocation.

2) California dealers will have a higher demand for Solstices (since the weather is better) than Midwestern dealers, but lower volume (based on the fact imports have a much higher market share in California).

3) Therefore, Solstices will be in short supply in California as compared to Detroit, Cincinnati, etc.

That means you may have ordered in April and could be #41 on your San Diego dealers wait list and waiting until 2006 for your car, while someone ordering today in Rockford, IL will get their car in a month or two.

Just guesses, mind you, but I think the logic is correct.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok. Before this thread continues on the wrong track, let me clear something up. This is not a question about how allocations work, I am well aware of this process.

My question is: What criteria is GM using to determine what an "order" is? Does GM consider a vehicle that has acquired a VOM and had a deposit placed on it an "order" ?

The reason for my question was the statement that GM plans on producing all (most) of the cars that are on "order" (9000+) before the end of the year.

Alright, let's assume that the 1st 4-month allocation begins in September. That will take us to the end of the year. That would mean that all cars produced between Sept. and Dec. would fall into that time period, correct?

So let's say my dealer is receiving 15 cars during his 1st 4-month allocation - the period of Sept to Dec. Then that is normally all he should receive - 15 cars, correct?

Ok, if so, then here is my confusion (please read completely):
My "order" (VOM assigned, money down) is 41st in line. This would normally place my car in the 2nd (Jan - Apr) or 3rd (May - Aug) allocation. However, according to GM, the 9000+ cars that are on "order" should be built by December 31st.

Therefore, shouldn't my "order" (placed in April, long before we heard the "total of 9000 orders placed" figure) be included in that estimate? If so, what does that mean with regards to the the dealer's allocation? Will they simply send all the completed "orders" to the dealer regardless of their initial allocation? Or, will they complete production of the vehicles and hold them for shipment during a later allocation period (whether or not the quantity of that allocation is adjusted)?

In other words - If placing money down and receiving a VOM constitutes an "order" than everyone who has placed a deposit as of the "9000 orders" statement (end of last month?) should have their car built by Dec. 31st. - correct?

I hope this clarifies my question.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
My guess is the 2nd allocation will be adjusted simply based on change in weather. I think they will pump more cars to the south and west in the winter months while the nothern states are under deep freeze. Would help you in San Diego if your dealer's 2nd allocation is much bigger than first.

Just a guess.

I don't think they'll finish the 9000 by December.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
:agree: I just don't see how they can get production up fast enough to accomplish 9000 by the ens of the year.

·
Registered
212 Posts
mceb said:
My guess is the 2nd allocation will be adjusted simply based on change in weather. I think they will pump more cars to the south and west in the winter months while the nothern states are under deep freeze. Would help you in San Diego if your dealer's 2nd allocation is much bigger than first.

Just a guess.

I don't think they'll finish the 9000 by December.
I don't see how Pontiac can do that. Fair weather buyers are just that, fair weather fans. Out here in Los Angeles you don't see too many Pontiacs tooling around. It's hardly fair to a dealer in the Midwest that buys twice as many cars from Pontiac to get a smaller allocation than an LA dealer, just because the weather is better out here. But should the Midwest not have enough orders to fill their fair allocation, then sure, I can see them eventually heading to Southern and Western states.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
danlbrau said:
I don't see how Pontiac can do that. Fair weather buyers are just that, fair weather fans. Out here in Los Angeles you don't see too many Pontiacs tooling around. It's hardly fair to a dealer in the Midwest that buys twice as many cars from Pontiac to get a smaller allocation than an LA dealer, just because the weather is better out here. But should the Midwest not have enough orders to fill their fair allocation, then sure, I can see them eventually heading to Southern and Western states.
I think it would be brilliant. Of course, I do come from a southwestern state (AZ), but many in the northern states were saying that if they couldn't get theirs before the cold sets in that they would just as soon wait until spring. And to call us fair weather buyers is unfair. I have been a long time GM buyer from a family of GM buyers. Three cars in the last three years. And my brothers and nieces and nephews have purchased a total of 12 during the same time period. Is that fair weather? You really shouldn't stereotype. And I didn't think he was suggesting reducing their allocation, just shifting delivery times.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Editguy,

I think he meant that the weather is fair most of the year in the areas he was talking about, making the car more attractive to those people in those states during the winter months. I don't think he was trying to imply that some people are fickle in their purchases of Pontiac vehicles. At least that's the way I read his statement.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
ojohnson said:
Editguy,

I think he meant that the weather is fair most of the year in the areas he was talking about, making the car more attractive to those people in those states during the winter months. I don't think he was trying to imply that some people are fickle in their purchases of Pontiac vehicles. At least that's the way I read his statement.
Well, he compared it to fair weather fans, and that implys people that are only there when it's something they want, in this case the Solstice. And the other reason I think he meant it the way I took it is that the west coast sells a lot of imports, whereas the midwest has been stronghold for American car companies.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Editguy said:
Well, he compared it to fair weather fans, and that implys people that are only there when it's something they want, in this case the Solstice. And the other reason I think he meant it the way I took it is that the west coast sells a lot of imports, whereas the midwest has been stronghold for American car companies.
You heard me right the first time. Didn't mean to knock GM fans out West, but the fact is my fellow Californians generally turn their noses up at GM products and it wouldn't be fair for GM to allocate a higher proportion of Sols to California just because the weather is more favorable. Now if the GM dealers in the heartland can't sell their allocations because winter sets in, that's a different issue.

Probably the best solution for you (and me, as a 2001 Grand Prix buyer) is dealers out west should give priority to long time customers rather than the import owner who's dropping by for a Sol and nothing else. That's always been the way its worked in the past anyway when there was a shortage of a hot car.

·
Registered
212 Posts
ojohnson said:
Editguy,

I did mean out here we are fair weather fans, but that shouldn't be considered an insult to the GM faithful out here. It's more a statement that GM has a lower market share, which is hardly debatable. I just don't think it would be fair for large volume dealers in the Midwest to get shorted on their allocation be cause Pontiac of Newport Beach can sell a zillion Sols to go with the 5 G6's they'll sell this year.

By the way, your order is exactly the same as mine. I ordered minutes after the EOP ended, so we'll see how much sooner (if sooner at all) I get mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How Many Orders

Well mine is just in and the delaer told me the count is around 11K.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
We don't think about new cars until March

Our climate much like Minnesota, and come November nobody here is going to care that I have a new roadster. In fact they will probably say, why get it now, you just have to store it until April?

We are bound to see a shift in order demographics even before the north goes into hibernation., so the second allocation could "go South" and it may help get rid of backlog in those areas.

I spoke to my salesman today, they stopped taking orders a while ago as they didn't see any point in taking peoples deposits with no knowledge of when delivery would happen.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
danlbrau said:
...3) Therefore, Solstices will be in short supply in California as compared to Detroit, Cincinnati, etc....
But wait!!! Mazda says the Solstice "buzz" is only in the Detroit area, and the rest of the country doesn't know about the Solstice. How can Solstices be in short supply in California? Mazda says they don't know about the Solstice :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
SD SOL said:
Ok, if so, then here is my confusion (please read completely):
My "order" (VOM assigned, money down) is 41st in line. This would normally place my car in the 2nd (Jan - Apr) or 3rd (May - Aug) allocation. However, according to GM, the 9000+ cars that are on "order" should be built by December 31st.
Personally, I believe there may have been some misunderstanding in the release that mentioned GM would fulfill the 9000 orders by the end of the year. If they do get 9000 cars out by the end of the year, I don't think it will necessarily be for the same 9000 orders that are out there now. Because as you said, some dealers continue to take orders that would fill out an entire year of allocations. While other dealers stop entering orders into VOMS once they have their first allocation filled and just put you on a list. It appeared to be a mix from the dealers I talked to. But regardless, I think we can expect that once we get closer to the second allocation, all dealers will start filling that out as well and as long as they use up all their allocation slots, I don't think GM will adjust their numbers just because another dealer entered theirs way sooner than they needed to. So I think it may be a bit misleading to some who currently have orders in ... if you're #40 at a dealer with an allocation of 15, I would highly doubt they intend that order to be one of the 9000 cars produced.

I may be wrong about it, but that is my impression. We don't really have any good information from GM about the specifics.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
danlbrau said:
Probably the best solution for you (and me, as a 2001 Grand Prix buyer) is dealers out west should give priority to long time customers rather than the import owner who's dropping by for a Sol and nothing else.
Well, it's all going to depend on individual dealers, but I think a lot may view this as a good chance to earn some brand new customers for GM. There are a lot of people who never would have considered GM before this car and it's a great opportunity to make some new lifelong customers. If they like their new GM car, they're going to consider GM for other purchases in the future. And GM could really use some new customers. So while I don't see them giving preferential treatment to import owners, I can't see it going the other way either. I think it will be strictly first-come, first-served for the most part. If somebody comes in with money, they're going to sell you the car if they can. So they may tell you that they're giving you preferential treatment by selling you the car because you own a GM and they value current customers or because you own an import and they want to earn your business, it's probably just a selling tactic to make you feel special.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts