Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did everything right, My Dealer had me first on the list, He tried and tried to put my numbers in, and He could not register me for a car. What a SREW JOB!

Screw Pontiac, How many of you will just go and find another car?

My Dealer even said it turned his stomach paying for a Program He could not use.

AM I ALONE ON THIS ONE? MITCH :brentil: :cuss: :devil:

·
Registered
157 Posts
THERE WAS NO SCREW JOB!

These comments and posts are getting old. Even if the servers were working perfectly and you got in at 2pm, there were about 2200 dealers enrolled in the EOP program and only 1000 cars. EVERY DEALER WAS NOT GOING TO GET A CAR! If you thought differently, then you were either misled or dillusional...enough already! You have every right to be disappointed, I know I would be, but you did not get a "screw job" from GM. If you really liked the car enough to spend 20-25K on it, then waiting a few extra weeks shouldn't change your mind...and if it is then you probably shouldn't buy one to begin with!

Sorry for the rant, but GM did not promise a car to anybody and they don't "owe" anybody anything. [/rant mode off]

·
5,600 Posts
MITCH said:
How many of you will just go and find another car?
What car can you buy for $20,000 that looks and handles like a Solstice? No, those who are chomping at the bit to get a Solstice will not just go find another car.

Mitch, I take that back. Some will. And then every time a Solstice passes them on the road they are going to wish they owned one and get very unhappy and then trade their newly-depriciated car in for a Solstice.

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts
GM did not promise a car to anybody and they don't "owe" anybody anything. [/rant mode off]/
I agree with your first paragraph but not what I have in qoutes, and here is why.
I think GM does, why, because we know they troll this forum, and many times people posted that their dealer was guaranting 1 of the 5 they were getting etc.. I know that they had the March traning etc, but the Dealers NOT all but enough kept saying "I can guarantee 1 of the 1000's". IT is their MARKETING Campaing not the dealer and they needed to use very STRONG language if they want it to pull it off without a major snafu, but they did not. How many of us said NO they can not promise you any etc..
Now we hear about 4Q delivery even though this forum and dealers were saying summer. Also their IT department was not ready, again prior to the launch many post were writen saying, my dealer has X number of terminals and will use them etc..
They need to post on their WEB site the correct information from now own, and do not let their dealers be the voice of information, this is the ERA of the INTERNET and their WEB SITE MUST be the ONLY VOICE OF INFORMATION.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
MITCH said:
I did everything right, My Dealer had me first on the list, He tried and tried to put my numbers in, and He could not register me for a car. What a SREW JOB!

Screw Pontiac, How many of you will just go and find another car?

My Dealer even said it turned his stomach paying for a Program He could not use.

AM I ALONE ON THIS ONE? MITCH :brentil: :cuss: :devil:
No, I think you are right. This wasn't set up to be positive for anyone except the lucky 1000. I think it would have been better if they set it up as a straight lottery, waited for all the entries, then picked 1000 at random. At least that would have been clear and fair. This way it left alot of people (including me) wondering if we were cheated by a dealer, a computer, or what. A lottery with a close off date would have been fair. This was a race you could not win...so why set it up as a race. Good idea, but the execution sucked. :agree:

·
Registered
157 Posts
LatinVenom,

I think you made my point in your reply, it is the DEALERS who are at fault, not GM. As far as I can remember, there was no advertising or information to the consumer from GM regarding the EOP procedure until the official announcement on Thurs. Apr. 14th during the Apprentice. Everything else was leaked from dealers and spread through the forum. GM really doesn't have any direct control over the dealers, they are independent franchises. Sure they can threaten to terminate the contract with the dealer or withhold allocation, but other than that they can't do too much other than give them instructions. Every piece of EOP literature the dealer got told them not to release any info or display any of the pieces before April 15th. It was printed all over everything. How many dealers put the stuff out the minute they got it? From reading the posts there were probably more that put it out right away than those that held it. If they can't follow simple instructions like that then I guess we can't expect much else from them.

As far as GM's advertising of the contest. If you read the website it states:

Is my online registration a vehicle order? Does registration mean that I will get a car?

No. Your registration is not an exclusive retail order and does not guarantee you will be able to purchase a vehicle. You must take your completed registration form and unique ID number to a participating dealer, and comply with all program requirements to order and purchase a vehicle on a first-come, first-served basis, while quantities last.
The dealer network is to blame for the misinformation and problems. And as I said in my earlier post, if you dealt with a crappy dealer, I would make it a point to boycott that dealer. I know there are some people who are really in the boonies, but I think most people are like me...there are at least 7 Pontiac dealers within a 3 hour drive from me...lots to choose from. I have a great dealer 15 min outside of town in a neighboring small town and I give him support by giving him repeat business. We all know that most car dealers/salesmen will do whatever it takes to get the sale and I very rarely come across a salesman that knows more about the car than I do...it's just the way it is unfortunately. I still don't see how this was a "screw job" by GM.

·
Registered
936 Posts
C5Vette said:
THERE WAS NO SCREW JOB!

These comments and posts are getting old. Even if the servers were working perfectly and you got in at 2pm, there were about 2200 dealers enrolled in the EOP program and only 1000 cars. EVERY DEALER WAS NOT GOING TO GET A CAR! If you thought differently, then you were either misled or dillusional...enough already! You have every right to be disappointed, I know I would be, but you did not get a "screw job" from GM. If you really liked the car enough to spend 20-25K on it, then waiting a few extra weeks shouldn't change your mind...and if it is then you probably shouldn't buy one to begin with!

Sorry for the rant, but GM did not promise a car to anybody and they don't "owe" anybody anything. [/rant mode off]
I agree 100 %

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think i got screwed by the server... like i said in the war story thread, i got in at 2:34:09 however the system didnt give me a reference number. Then when i we reapplyed after realizing that the system screwed me, i was put on the wait list at "2:30:00". At my dealership, someone got a car at 2:37, but somehow my entry which was registered at 2:34 didn't get processed properly and therefore i don't get a car. Please explain how that isn't getting screwed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
RichSol said:
No, I think you are right. This wasn't set up to be positive for anyone except the lucky 1000. I think it would have been better if they set it up as a straight lottery, waited for all the entries, then picked 1000 at random. At least that would have been clear and fair. This way it left alot of people (including me) wondering if we were cheated by a dealer, a computer, or what. A lottery with a close off date would have been fair. This was a race you could not win...so why set it up as a race. Good idea, but the execution sucked. :agree:
BINGO :agree:

·
Registered
14 Posts
no you arent the only one! my wife an i were with the dealer from 1:30 est, till 2:25 est, by this time my nerves were starting to reach there end! i recieved a call later that day with a time stamp of 2:41 est--waiting list! im still up in the air over this, and unsure what ill do just yet.---
think ill try counting to 10 or something!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also got screwed Was in the system. o type zip stopped the process
dealer call solstice program manager at gm Amanda said to start over,
dealer says where gona loose our position,just fix zip problem,amanda says sorry 10000 times. dealer asks who we need to speak to bob luts? amanda does not know who bob luts is.Guess where all the loosers from the apprentice are working. Way to go gm you sure know how to treat your long term customers and make your dealers lok like idiots This weren't a dealer problem this came from gm . I dont think i'm even on the damned waiting list
cause my zip werent accknolledged tell me i wasn't screwed

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also got screwed. Was in the system. o type zip stopped the process.
Dealer call solstice program manager at gm. Amanda said to start over,
Dealer says where gona loose our position,just fix zip problem,amanda says sorry 10000 times. dealer asks who we need to speak to bob luts? amanda does not know who bob luts is.Guess where all the loosers from the apprentice are working. Way to go gm you sure know how to treat your long term customers and make your dealers lok like idiots This weren't a dealer problem this came from gm . I dont think i'm even on the damned waiting list
cause my zip werent accknolledged tell me i wasn't screwed

·
Registered
337 Posts
The only bad thing is the people that had the #1 position at the dealer and got jumped by #2, #3, or even #5. GM should have only let one Pass Word/ User at each Dealer. So, after #1 got his/her, #2 step up and take a shot. I was lucky - small town dealer and I was the only one the showed up on the 15th. I did put my name on the dealer list back in March along with nobody else. I new when my dealer said his User ID / Password could work from multiple PC's, #1 position did not mean much anymore. Again, I am glad to be in pending mode, but if not I would still want the car.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Screwed by dealer, NOT GM

First I have to vent and say I am royally upset that I didn't get a First 1000 after following this car's every move for two years and following every EOP step to the letter.

However, I don't blame Pontiac, I blame ignorant/arrogant dealers. I don't mean to offend, because there are many helpful and intelligent dealers, but there are also many like mine. I put down a $1000 deposit at the largest dealer in my area long before the EOP was leaked. Once the program was leaked, I thought I made the right choice in dealer figuring that the largest one would be the best educated...boy was I wrong. I had to hold their hand every step of the way, telling them about each upcoming broadcast and every bit of published info.

When I tried to explain that no one was guaranteed any of the initial cars, the SALES MANAGER told me that they invested millions of dollars in their dealerships and were the largest one around...if they wanted a car they would get it!!!

On D-Day, I showed up early, my salesman was at lunch right up until 1:45!!!!!!! I then cringed as the sales manager stumbled through the screens to try to pre-enter the info...telling me that I couldn't get the two-tone with ANY exterior color! He then had my info at the bottom of the five registration pages. When I pleaded that I was the first to put a deposit down, so I should be the first entered, he kicked me out of his office. There were no other early depositors there...the dealer was entering the orders for relatives of the owner and salesmen...that's why I got bumped to fifth place. He refused to let the salesmen each try to enter an order at the same time, he wanted to do it personally. So instead of possibly getting 5, he got 0!

When the server crash happened I just about jumped across the desk to rip the mouse out of his hand. They had screwed up everything else, I just figured this was his fault too! I had to get back to work so I didn't stay until he got any kind of confirmation. When I called him at 4:00, he said they wouldn't know until next week (total BS, I know) and that no one in Michigan got one. I can only hope that he was too dumb to know that a Pending status meant that it got through and I'll be getting a call from Pontiac.

My first impulse was to demand my deposit back, take my business from them and go down the street to the next dealer. Then reason hit me and I realized that I am still first on their list for regular allocation, where I would probably be 20th if I went down the street. Therefore, this dealer can treat me like crap and if I want a car sooner rather than later, I have to smile and put up with it.

The only thing I blame Pontiac for is trusting that all of it's dealers and salesmen were smart enough to read and UNDERSTAND all of the steps and rules of this mildy complicated program. Pontiac spelled everything out very clearly, but many just skimmed it and made assumptions, even arguing with us when we told them the way it really works. I am greatfull to the wonderful dealers we have here (Conejo, Small Dealer, etc), but many are not at their level. Pontiac should have took total control of the program and not had the dealers involved in any step but picking up the car (in October!!!!).

I will keep my deposit down, but will start test driving some other cars. If anything else strikes my fancy before my car is delivered, I will cancel, maybe get a used Beamer or Mercedes. Either way, this dealer lost at least one sale...I was going to lease this one and then come back and buy one in two years once all the bugs were worked out and maybe get a F/I one. If I do, it will definately be from a different dealer. And all 200 people in my office knew how excited I was about this car, why I had to leave for a while on Friday, and now they know what a lousy dealer we have next to us.

Sorry for the long rant, but I had to vent at my HORRIBLE dealership experience. Hopefully the timing is not as bad as Pontiac is implying and in few months I'll be driving my Solstice (just in time to keep the top up) and forget all this ever happened. There, I feel better already! (almost)

·
Registered
288 Posts
SolTex said:
The only bad thing is the people that had the #1 position at the dealer and got jumped by #2, #3, or even #5. GM should have only let one Pass Word/ User at each Dealer. So, after #1 got his/her, #2 step up and take a shot. I was lucky - small town dealer and I was the only one the showed up on the 15th. I did put my name on the dealer list back in March along with nobody else. I new when my dealer said his User ID / Password could work from multiple PC's, #1 position did not mean much anymore. Again, I am glad to be in pending mode, but if not I would still want the car.
I think you hit the nail on the head with that one.

The larger dealerships definitely had the advantage on this one. I was at the largest dealership in the St. Louis area. I was first in line as I got there at 7:45am since they wouldn't let anyone put deposits down in advance.

After being there for a few hours they were telling me how it was going to go down. They said that they were going to have four separate computers going, and they were all going to be logged on with the same username and password. Initially I was very worried about this. I didn't think that Pontiac would have set it up so that the same user could sign on from more then one workstation.

I expressed my concerns and my salesman called the EOP folks to make sure that it would be okay. They said it would and then they tried it out just to make sure. It worked fine.

Luckily they were able to get all of their 4 orders in(mine included) before they were all sold out. (of course mine went through last)

The problem with this is that smaller dealerships that only had one or two terminals available were at a definite disadvantage to those that had up to five going at one time.

If GM had limited all dealerships to one login session per dealership they would not have had the traffic/server errors which not only complicated matters for all dealerships but also looked poorly on GM as a company.

·
Registered
228 Posts
C5Vette said:
THERE WAS NO SCREW JOB!

Since it sounds like you want to be on a high horse.

I dont think you have any right to tell someone they shouldnt be pissed over a computer problem. I also dont think you have the right to say "you probaly shouldnt buy one to begin with"

Just my opinion I see the point of ranting but your on a solstice forum figure it out.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
There really never was any position for EOP as long as dealers could hit from multiple terminals. It ended up being a lottery plain and simple.

In hind-sight maybe those who have said 1 terminal per dealer would have been a better system, would have cut down on server traffic by 4X (assuming many dealers hit with 5 PCs) and taken the advantage of bigger dealers away with multiple PCs and high-speed web access.

The single threading of people on 1 PC would also have allowed dealers to maintain the "position" of people in deposit order so the early adopters would have gotten the first cars.

In the end the EOP would have probably taken same 40 minutes but would have been 100 times more orderly.

The good news is your position still holds for allocations and dealers should go in order of earliest deposit/pre-order date.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was up all night thinking about the car. That morning we got to the dealership at 8am when it opened. Only to be told they were taking a few phone orders ahead of us. I dunno how that worked, but whatever.

Then with 5 guys on computers, they kept trying different numbers to see if that was the problem. and one of the guys that came in at like 2pm got the one and only order for that dealership. :(

Im not angry anymore, guess Im gettin over it, being here in these threads has helped me. I would have felt very alone otherwise Im sure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
C5Vette said:
THERE WAS NO SCREW JOB!

What exactly was your job here? to make us feel even worse? Wow, job well done.

The good thing about these threads and the posts is the fact that you have the scrolling option to just go right on by. People are venting, let them vent.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Billabongi,

I am not trying to be on a high horse and I'm sorry if it came across that way. And I can totally understand how the people feel that lost out. When it got to be 2:30 and I couldn't get through, I had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach and I just knew that I had already lost out...I was royally pissed. Thankfully my heart made me keep trying even though my head told me to give up. But from a lot of the complaining, it seems that people either think 1) they were "owed" a first 1000 car because they have been following the car or 2) they think that if there had not been computer problems they definitely would have gotten a car.

Regarding #1, I am a car nut in general and I know what it's like to memorize every last spec and detail about a car and be a true enthusiast. In a perfect world only those types of people would have gotten the first 1000 (and that would include everyone on the forum that wanted one). But think about it...my opinion is that GM did not want these people to get one of the first cars, because we are the types that would buy the car no matter what, even if we have to wait. The whole point of the Apprentice/EOP promotion was to get people interested in the Solstice (and subsequently, Pontiac) who knew nothing about the car and may not otherwise have bought one or visited a Pontiac dealership. And I think they succeeded with this. Why would a company spend advertising dollars to sell a car to someone who is already sold and determined to buy it? It doesn't make any business sense.

As for #2, if there had not been any computer problems and everything went smoothly, there were still 5000 people trying for 1000 spots. They would have just sold out in 10-15 minutes instead of 30-45 minutes and there would still be 4000 people that missed out and were wait listed. Ultimately someone would be losing out and like another post said, I would never wish for someone else on the forum to lose out just so I could have my spot...and I get the impression from some of the posts that others don't feel this way and have sour grapes. All we have are "what ifs" and we will never know who would have gotten a car if the servers were working properly.

All I meant by the "shouldn't buy one to begin with" is that I don't think buying a car is an impulse purchase (at least not usually). I truly believe all the people on the forum love the car and if that's the case, why would you not want to buy one just because you can't have one of the first ones? Is Solstice # 1001 or even 10,001 not the same car we have all fallen in love with?

All in all, I am a GM and Pontiac fan, and I LOVE the Solstice, both for what it is and for the change it represents at GM. I think GM has enough negative publicity and problems with the press (much of it they brought upon themselves, unfortunately) without unwarranted negative posts on the forum. Some people don't realize how quickly things spread on the Net and someone who knows nothing about the Solstice can come to this forum and read all these rants and walk away thinking that this car and GM are a joke. And the press will have a field day...I can see it already...the first reviews of the car in Autoweek or Motor Trend will probably have an opening paragraph about how "GM/Pontiac really screwed up the introduction" and "all the people on the internet forums got the shaft." I for one am sick of the cheap shots the press takes at GM and don't want to give them any more ammo. :(

And as for the multiple terminals issue, I was at a small dealership (they can't even fit a car in their "showroom") and we still had 2 terminals going and we got 4 cars. So I don't know that the 5 terminals at the bigger dealers was such an advantage. For the dealers that did have 5 terminals and the people that were #1 or 2 and lost out but #3 or 4 got one, well that does plain suck and I think those are horrible dealers that would do that to their customers...they would definitely lose my business in the future (although I can see where they have you over a barrel if you are #1 for regular allocation...where ya gonna go, right?) They basically disregarded the "first come first serve" idea of the whole contest to begin with.

I guess I will make this my last post on the subject since I think I have made my point and everyone is entitled to think what they want. I am just calling it as I see it. Can't we all just love the Solstice and get along? :grouphug:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts