Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in a Mid-Atlantic state it is really humid and hot from mid-July right through until early Sept. I think I might have to go for it as much as it seems like a stupid thing to do on a convertible. I must be getting old!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
:agree As backward as it seems, anticipate most of my top down driving will be in the winter months. Just hope the AC is big enouth to put up with the black cloth top and the Texas sun.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I hate using the A/C, even here in FL. However when it's 95+ Deg out and it starts raining, it's gets super muggy super fast. At that point I close the car up and turn the A/C on. Which means I want A/C.

·
4,592 Posts
Cheever3000 said:
No, it would be suicide! I am definitely getting A/C. I might even use it when the top is down!
:agree I also will use AC with the top down here in Sunny So Cal

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I'll be getting A/C mostly because it makes the defrost much more effective. And there's always the days when it's hot AND rainy. If I decide it's hurting my performance that much due to parasitic losses, etc (which it shouldn't so long as the A/C compressor clutch disengages completely) I can always buy a shorter belt for track days and just reroute it to leave the A/C out of the loop. Can't do much about the extra weight tho. :(

'course I could just stop eating whoppers and lose more weight than the whole A/C package would cost me anyway.

·
Registered
154 Posts
2KWK4U said:
I'll be getting A/C mostly because it makes the defrost much more effective. And there's always the days when it's hot AND rainy.
Amen Brother! I've had a few cars with no A/C and the vents under the window were only for defrosting the window NOT for defogging it. Condensation would drip off my old sunbird's windshield. I had to keep a towel in the back seat.

·
5,600 Posts
Yes to AC, needed or not.

My Solstice will be loaded with every option Pontiac offers. I may be nuts, but the Soltice could someday be a collector car. NO, that is not why I want one! But if the Solstice flops - not freakin' likely! - the few cars built will be highly collectible. If it is the home run I expect it to be, then 7 or 8 generations down the line, those 1st year cars are going to be prime. Imagine being one of the lucky few to still own a fully-optioned 1st year Solstice or Sky!

Too young to buy a loaded 1st year Corvette, Shelby, Z28, or 240z ( I wasn't even born for the Vette introduction) and I am NOT missing that thrill this time around.

I don't know if I'll buy a Solstice (HIGHLY unlikely that I won't!!!), but if I do buy one, mine will be fully loaded with everything available including any appearance packages offered.

You only get one chance to buy a 1st year model of an American Sports car that could become a legend. I am NOT going to screw up that chance. My only regret is that I won't be able to afford one of each, a Solstice and Sky! :crazy

I kid you not. I want one of each, though the Solstice is my passion.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Cheever3000 said:
I might even use it when the top is down!
Definately! I use the A/C on my Jeep with the top down a lot. I direct the vents onto my arms when its hot out and the sun is beating down. Helps keep me from roasting from the mid-day heat.

Also as was mentioned, it helps a lot to keep the windows from steaming over, and it also is nice to have on muggy, rainy days.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Agreed, even in super sunny Michigan AC is a must have. Too many positives not to get it.

I also agree that the Solstice could be a collector's car. I think of all the Pontiacs my dad had 60's Lemans, GTO, Firebirds that I simply can't miss the chance to own the Pontiac of my day!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've always felt that AC is a bad idea on a roadster. After all, if you're hot, drop the top and drive. However, I'll end up with it because of the effect it will have on resale value and because it does help on hot rainy days.

·
4,592 Posts
palmer said:
I've always felt that AC is a bad idea on a roadster. After all, if you're hot, drop the top and drive. However, I'll end up with it because of the effect it will have on resale value and because it does help on hot rainy days.
no offense palmer, but in the desert, you generally have the top up on the hottest days, or die! Dropping a top when it's 110+F doesn't cool you down, you get hotter. AC for me :patriot

·
Registered
15 Posts
A/C? Absolutely!

It can get pretty hot here in southern Ontario May to September, so having A/C is a given; especially in my case for medical reasons since I was born without any sweat glands and heat can be very dangerous for me.

Cheers to all as we count the days until the Sol arrives!

Neil

·
5,600 Posts
ThinkingManNeil said:
Cheers to all as we count the days until the Sol arrives!
And to you. :cheers

It is getting exciting! What do you expect from a Pontiac? (Pontiac BUILDS excitement... so they say.) :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Winter's too cold and summer is too damn hot :mad in St. Louie especially in the summer. The gulf winds brings a lot of humidity and after it rains fugetaboutit. A/c for me. My question would be how many days a year do you think you would put the top down?

·
4,592 Posts
summersolstice said:
My question would be how many days a year do you think you would put the top down?
That's a good question. Mine (the hold-me-over) has been down every day except when raining, fortunatley I live in So Cal. Funny how many convertibles I see with their tops up on a beautiful day around here.

·
Registered
86 Posts
RODEO said:
That's a good question. Mine (the hold-me-over) has been down every day except when raining, fortunatley I live in So Cal. Funny how many convertibles I see with their tops up on a beautiful day around here.

Go figure. Southern Calif. was made for convertibles. :cool I'd move there if my company would triple my salary although I hear there are some deals on homes in Simi Valley. :smile

1 - 20 of 47 Posts