Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to rub it in, but I'm soo excited. I just placed my order.

I went to Schumacher Pontiac which is apparently the largest Pontiac reseller / dealership in the South East (from what I understand). They have an allocation of 700 Solstices. I just ordered mine last night and the put in the order this morning. They said they would have a VIN for me within the next couple of weeks.

I tried to order one through my local Pontiac dealership "Pines Pontiac" (formerly "Hollywood Pontiac"), but they only had waiting lists... and no dealer allocations.

A couple of the guys I was talking to at Pines Pontiac actually suggested that I go to Schumacher Pontiac because they said that they believe that by the time the car actually hits the showroom floor, all of the Solstices will have owners already.

The thing that sucks about Schumacher Pontiac is that it's up in West Palm, and I'm down in Fort Lauderdale, so it's an hours drive... :\


Anyone here on a waiting list as apposed to actually having an order?


Todd,
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1997 Pontiac Grand Am GT (For Sale!)
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE/V6 5-Speed
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE/V6 Auto
1984 Pontiac Fiero 2m4 SE WS6
1981 Pontiac TransAm WS6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,849 Posts
An allocation of 700? Are you sure that's not 7?
Anyway, what part of Ft. Lauderdale do you live in? I was there for 4 years...long ago...far away... worked for the Ft. Lauderdale News
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
82-T/A said:
They have an allocation of 700 Solstices.
The only allocation numbers that have been recieved are the first four months of production numbers. 700 would be 681 higher then any other dealer based on infoamtion posted here. And even if it represented a full year, it would be 4% of Solstice production going to this one dealer.

82-T/A said:
They said they would have a VIN for me within the next couple of weeks.
VINs aren't available to dealers until after a car is built.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
82-T/A, sounds like your dealer is making up a few stories. It's good they are getting people pumped up about the car but they have to watch setting unrealistic expectations like you'll have your VIN in couple of weeks. We don't even know when they are to start regular production yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
600 Posts
Take the dealer news/facts lightly. Most seem to be misinterpreting the information they receive. Hopefully you really are on a list to get one and congratulations! :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Sounds like your dealers playing you. :brentil: My dealer also told me they were the largest in the SE too. :D I think they all say that. However I know mine is the largest in Central Florida though for sure, and they're only getting 15 cars in allocation. As SD said, the highest allocation we know of to date is 19 cars for the first 4 months.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,464 Posts
Let me shime in, before people get the wrong impresion about this dealer, I have place a call to the General Manager and asked him to call me, so we can set the record straight. This is a good dealer and maybe there was some miss communications, I know what the allocation is, however I will wait for the G.M. to call me and give you the correct info. I also think 82-T/A is confusin VIN # with the VOM # at this time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,464 Posts
I just talk to the G.M. and it was the VOM# and not the Vin# what he said. Now about the 700 figure.
The regional Manager from GM who controls 7 States in the South East is trying to get GM/Pontiac to send them (dealers on the 7 SE States) more cars, since the North Dealerships once the weather gets bad, they will have a tough time selling Solstice up north. So there you have it and hope this clears up this miss communication.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,512 Posts
LatinVenom said:
The regional Manager from GM who controls 7 States in the South East is trying to get GM/Pontiac to send them (dealers on the 7 SE States) more cars, since the North Dealerships once the weather gets bad, they will have a tough time selling Solstice up north.
They will probably have a hard time convincing GM of this. I'm from NJ, and from what I can tell about the dealers around here (Northeast US), they all have orders against most or all of their four month allocation. Unless people start cancelling orders because of the delays, I don't expect that there will be a lot of unused allocation available to shift south.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I can only go with what he was telling me. But he did say that he would call us as soon as he had a VIN number. I do already have a VOM number, well.. at least my co-worker does. He ordered his on Saturday. I ordered mine last night but a different guy took my order but he couldn't enter it in until this morning. He called me and told me he would mail in my purchase order.

Basically, what he said to me is that the guy who owns Schumacher dealerships told the Regional guy at Pontiac that he wanted 700 Solstices and that he would buy whatever and howmany other additional Pontiacs were necessary to get those Solstices.

I tried to get one from Pines Pontiac, but they just told me I'd have to be put on a waiting list.

The guy at Schumacher on the other hand DID say that I was guaranteed a car and that I would get one of those 700.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,849 Posts
:skep: yup, you'll get one of those 700 spread out over the next four years...
good luck, though :thumbs: and keep updating your progress.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, you guys are saying that even though the dealership told me I was guaranteed a Solstice by "around" October, after I gave them a $1,000 deposit... I'm actually not guaranteed a Solstice and there's a chance that I'll not actually get one?

The guy rang up the entire cost of the car, plus tax, title, and dealer prep.

I would be REALLY pissed if I end up not getting one....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
By the way, we ARE talking about Pontiac Solstices in GENERAL... right? Not the first 1000? Cause I don't really care about getting one of those. I mean, it would be awesome... but I just want to make sure that I get a Solstice...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
82-T/A said:
So, you guys are saying that even though the dealership told me I was guaranteed a Solstice by "around" October, after I gave them a $1,000 deposit... I'm actually not guaranteed a Solstice and there's a chance that I'll not actually get one?

The guy rang up the entire cost of the car, plus tax, title, and dealer prep.

I would be REALLY pissed if I end up not getting one....
You will get one....I think what's being said .. is that it may not be anytime soon. If you are truly in this dealer's first 4 month allocation, you hopefully will have it prior to year end....that is once production begins "officially"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dlent said:
You will get one....I think what's being said .. is that it may not be anytime soon. If you are truly in this dealer's first 4 month allocation, you hopefully will have it prior to year end....that is once production begins "officially"
Alright, well that's cool.... I don't have to be the first person on the block to get one... I just want to make sure I can get one... I was getting worried there... people keeping saying GM wasn't prepared... and all this other stuff... haha...

Oh well, it's just more time needed to save up for a down payment!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,512 Posts
The EOP rules stated that dealers shoud take Solstice orders in three ways:

1 - First 1,000 orders until they're all gone (which only took about 41 minutes.)
2 - Orders against the dealer's initial four month allocation (which appears to range from zero to a max of 19, from what we can tell so far.) until they are all gone.
3 - Form a dealership waiting list (not the national waitlist for the First 1,000) once their four month allocation was full.

So you want to make sure you fall into group number 2 rather than group number 3.

I recommend you go to the dealer and confirm that your order, with VOM#, was submitted against the dealer's initial four month allocation, and if possible, dertermine where exactly in their allocation you fall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Remember there are 5000 plus orders ahead of yours.

I am sure this dealer would like to get 700 cars but they will need
to buy and sell a boat load of pontiacs to get to that kind of number.

It seems that all regular allocation cars are already spoken for here in the NE.

As a dealer on this forum has said their allocations are based on a month
by month basis on how much business they do with GM.

Since GM is having issues delivering the first 1000 cars and they will be under the gun to get all these orders out I would find out where you stand in line
for his 700 cars.

Does this dealer have > 10,000 GM's on the lot? My dealer has about 100
cars and is getting 6 in his regular allocation. so to get to 700 this dealer
must be selling 100+ times more than my dealer. Do they have ~1200 salesman?

If not I kind of doubt he will be getting 700 cars unless these are spread
across man dealerships that they control.

So again find out where you stand in his 700 line.

Unless GM is fooling everyone you could be waiting a bit longer than you expect.

And of course if you back out you LOOSE YOUR DEPOSIT. :devil:

Remember they are in business to make money. :willy:

Later!

:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bought_It said:
Does this dealer have > 10,000 GM's on the lot? My dealer has about 100
cars and is getting 6 in his regular allocation. so to get to 700 this dealer
must be selling 100+ times more than my dealer. Do they have ~1200 salesman?

If not I kind of doubt he will be getting 700 cars unless these are spread
across man dealerships that they control.

Actually, yeah... this dealership actually owns a SEPERATE "HUMMER" dealership as well. They just built this massive building next to their Infinity Dealership. They have their Pontiac and Buick dealerships joined, and then they have a seperate Saturn, Chevrolet, etc...

Their "front space" as in... the space that borders the main road is deceptively small... but they go back about 5 solid street blocks of car inventory. This cluster of their dealerships is in West Palm Beach. They then have another huge group of dealerships in North Palm Beach.

The exact quote from the Sales Manager was:

"Schumacher told the regional Pontiac office that he wanted an allocation of 700 cars. He told them he was willing to take however many other Pontiacs he needed to take, in order to get that number. He said that between both their Pontiac dealerships (they have two), they make up the largest distributors of Pontiacs in the South East."


So, that's what he said... I sure would love to actually get one sooner than later.... but I suppose I can wait until Christmas... haha...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
82-T/A said:
Actually, yeah... this dealership actually owns a SEPERATE "HUMMER" dealership as well. They just built this massive building next to their Infinity Dealership. They have their Pontiac and Buick dealerships joined, and then they have a seperate Saturn, Chevrolet, etc...

Their "front space" as in... the space that borders the main road is deceptively small... but they go back about 5 solid street blocks of car inventory. This cluster of their dealerships is in West Palm Beach. They then have another huge group of dealerships in North Palm Beach.

The exact quote from the Sales Manager was:

"Schumacher told the regional Pontiac office that he wanted an allocation of 700 cars. He told them he was willing to take however many other Pontiacs he needed to take, in order to get that number. He said that between both their Pontiac dealerships (they have two), they make up the largest distributors of Pontiacs in the South East."


So, that's what he said... I sure would love to actually get one sooner than later.... but I suppose I can wait until Christmas... haha...
Car dealers saying they are the biggest really doesn't matter at all in this instance. It's like the "my Dad can beat up your Dad," scenario. My dealer group sold 8,000 units last year--we just sold 95 last Saturday-one day. BTW, we rank in the top 50 nationwide according to NADA on total units sold. We get one Solstice for the first four months. To get that number of units sold, we have BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Nissan, Jeep, Chrysler, Pontiac, GMC, and about 1000 used cars at any one time. We get 1 Solstice. Even if we carried all GM brands, and sold the same amount, the only number that matters for our allocation is the number of Pontiac sales.

As far as earning an allocation of 700 Solsti, it's not how many Pontiacs they TAKE, it's how many they SELL. Phase 4, I think, is "turn & earn." Besides that, 700 units is almost 3.5% of the first year build-out, and I'm sure that there are already 10,000 orders in. They can't take another dealers allocation, they can only buy the other dealership. 2800 Pontiac dealers, 20,000 cars, subtract 1,000 EOP. 19000/2800 = 6.8 per dealer. Some get less, some get more.

Not your fault, not angry, venting, or directing any harsh words at you, just remember you're dealing w/ a guy who manages guys who sell cars.....we are at the top of the pyramid, most of us anyways, as far as showmanship goes. What we do with it is another matter. There are a lot of ways to say the same thing, some leave you an out, some don't.

All in all, you'll get a Solstice, just how long you may have to wait is the question. October, maybe. January, possibly. July, hopefully, but damn that sun would be hot in FLA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,406 Posts
My dealer owns multiple dealerships in the vicinity and 'combined' he is getting an allocation of 8 cars for the first four months. The other two dealerships in the direct area might get 2 each if they are lucky.

Plus my dealer will be buying one of the first allocation cars for display in the showroom so other people can actually have a close look at one.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top