Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

How many times in last 10 years have you had to use your spare tire?

• Five "fun and exciting" times

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Six - My cars are debris magnets

• Seven *SIGH*

• Eight - I never leave home without a Cellphone...

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should be interesting. I stated on another thread I've only had to use mine twice in 15 years, and one of those was not even on the highway (in the parking lot after work).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Aside from using the spare when I rotate the tires I really have not used one in the past 10 years. However, I have had to change my girlfriends tires twice. She had a mazda 626 and whenever she would cut a corner to close and hit it with the back tire it would tear the sidewall. However, ever since she bought a new pickup she has not had any problems. Hopefully that problem was relegated to the design of the Mazda and will not be seen on the solstice.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I've only used the spare once in the last 10 years in any of my vehicles. That time was a screw in the tire and it went flat in the parking lot. The only other tire problem in that time frame was on my motorcycle. The rear tire blew out on the freeway! Very scary. If you've ever pushed a bike with a flat, then you can imagine riding one. Didn't crash, but I swear some of the time the rear wheel was ahead of the front wheel! :eek

·
Registered
533 Posts
Last time was sometime between 1984 and 1986 - don't recall the exact date. Came out from work and saw that a flat had developed.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I've used mine twice. Both times were amasingly within 60 days of each other. Had a nail in one tire and a screw in another. But besides those two times I've only ever taken my spare out for going to the autocross to remove weight.

Just do like Lotus does with the Elise, you get a can of run flat that you can stow behind the boot if you so desire. :smile

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
More times than I can count. For whatever reason, I am a magnate for flat tires. They have all been from something getting lodged in the tire: nail, screw, other piece of metal, etc. Most of the tires have been repairable, but it is still an annoyance. Luckily, these types of flats usually leak slow, and have allowed me to get home, or at least to a place where I can easily make the change to the spare instead of on the side of a highway.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Fformula88 said:
More times than I can count. For whatever reason, I am a magnate for flat tires. They have all been from something getting lodged in the tire: nail, screw, other piece of metal, etc. Most of the tires have been repairable, but it is still an annoyance. Luckily, these types of flats usually leak slow, and have allowed me to get home, or at least to a place where I can easily make the change to the spare instead of on the side of a highway.
Just a thought; I don't know what kind of tires you're running, but if they're wide and of a very soft compound, they are more likely to attract debris and retain it. Maybe it's just part of the cost of performance. :(

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
Just a thought; I don't know what kind of tires you're running, but if they're wide and of a very soft compound, they are more likely to attract debris and retain it. Maybe it's just part of the cost of performance. :(
I think its just bad luck for the most part! The tires have ranged anywhere from 185/75R14's on my 91 Probe to the 225/45R17 Z rated tires on my Fiero, and the number of flats has been fairly consistant over all the cars I have had.

I think its partially bad luck, but it may be the roads I drive daily too. Maybe a lot of roofers drive down the same roads leaving nails all over. I dunno. It kinda sucks, but I am good friends with the local tire shop and they give me deals now since I am a "frequent" customer! :crazy Not that I want to be a frequent customer, but its better than nothing! :lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts