Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
shudder when coming to a stop

My 06 just started to experience this today. It went to GM for a Code Check Engine light, Code P1174, they reprogrammed the PCM per bulletin 3968. They referred to it as Fuel Trim. Now it shudders at a stop. Can't find a damn thing in computer regarding the 3968 bulletin.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
This is interesting and I did not know this was a common problem just for the 08 as mine does it too. I now have 35k on it and there's no telling how the 2 PO's drove it. it's not so bad where I think the car is going to die and it doesn't do it all the time. probably because I haven't been paying attention so now that I know it's a known problem, I'm sure I'll notice it a lot more. I'm sure I have the factory plugs and since I'm getting the less than 1/4 tank fuel gauge problem, I think it's time to get the techron stuff, new plugs and give it one of my gumout treatments. Also, I do not have a tune but I wonder if they could up the idle by 100 rpm to help eliminate this?

·
Registered
433 Posts
sundancer2004,

Are you shuddering at a stop since you have had the reprogram? Please private message us more details of your concern, including your VIN and the name of your GM dealership.

Erica Tiffany
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
27 Posts
shudders when stopped, surges taking off.

I know I'm not an 08 but a 06, but yesterday posted about the same issue. Looked up nearest garage that had a fuel system cleaning machine. (GM wants $189.00), found a local garage in Wilmington nc and it cost 99.00, the shuddering has gone, my hesitation while accelerating is diminished to the point of not being an issue. just saying. the machine forces cleaning solution through the system, cleaning the throttle body, injectors and valves ect, anything that the fuel works with. Just sharing...............

·
Registered
53 Posts
So I get a p0301 first cylinder misfire as follows:

Only during the first minute of start up. The rpm is higher at start up and then levels down a bit....then the engine light. It comes on almost predictably every third start up...and never while I'm driving.

There is a little vibration at start up but it seems normal to me and goes away as soon as I drive off and doesn't happen during a drive, at a stop light, etc.

The car, an 07 gxp, drives flawlessly and I wind it out whenever I can. I've changed #1 plug, a denso (which looked fine) for an ac delco properly gapped and it made no difference. I repaired the crankcase tube coupling - no difference of any kind.

Last year I replaced a frayed coil connector and that cured the problem for months...then it came back...wierd. After that it canceled itself after 2 cans of lucas cleaner. I ran the tank down to about 1/8 low and it came back on - not sure if that had anything to do with it. I plan to change the coil pack soon and see what happens.

·
Registered
283 Posts
When my '07 GXP started getting a cold start misfire I tried everything ( plugs, coils, cleaners). It turned out to be carbon build up on the intake valves. Now I just walnut blast the valves every spring and the problem has never came back.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
So I get a p0301 first cylinder misfire as follows:

Only during the first minute of start up. The rpm is higher at start up and then levels down a bit....then the engine light. It comes on almost predictably every third start up...and never while I'm driving.

There is a little vibration at start up but it seems normal to me and goes away as soon as I drive off and doesn't happen during a drive, at a stop light, etc.

The car, an 07 gxp, drives flawlessly and I wind it out whenever I can. I've changed #1 plug, a denso (which looked fine) for an ac delco properly gapped and it made no difference. I repaired the crankcase tube coupling - no difference of any kind.

Last year I replaced a frayed coil connector and that cured the problem for months...then it came back...wierd. After that it canceled itself after 2 cans of lucas cleaner. I ran the tank down to about 1/8 low and it came back on - not sure if that had anything to do with it. I plan to change the coil pack soon and see what happens.
It might not be in the fuel system now that our cars have miles on them. It might be a weak or failing timing chain/balance chain tensioner since they are hydralically presurized. Mine has a nasty vibration at 1000 rpm until it's warmed up. And then that vibration goes away. However, I do have an uneven idle and there is a difference. My car actually cuts out at idle and you can physically hear it.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
No issues here with mine...

61 - 71 of 71 Posts