Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

How much was your "Dealer Fee" (U.S. dollars)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering how much you guys paid in dealer's fee when you picked up your car? Just picked up my car yesterday and love it, but that fee was a lot more than I expected. The car was sold at MSRP, but the dealer fee was $599 (not including the registration/title fee). I'm wondering if that dealer fee is in line or if it seems excessive. So how about letting everybody know what your dealer fee was (or will be, if you know it for sure).

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
I have not picked up my car yet since it has not arrived but I have purchase other cars from this dealership and others in Fl. and I have paid any where from $349 - $485 that payment is suppose to be for the Finance guy and other misc things. I have in the past successfully not paid for it but it depends on the car and if it was the end of the month etc.
This time when my SOL comes in I will definitely not pay for it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
SlySol said:
I was wondering how much you guys paid in dealer's fee when you picked up your car? Just picked up my car yesterday and love it, but that fee was a lot more than I expected. The car was sold at MSRP, but the dealer fee was $599 (not including the registration/title fee). I'm wondering if that dealer fee is in line or if it seems excessive. So how about letting everybody know what your dealer fee was (or will be, if you know it for sure).
0 Dealers fee
Paid MSRP
No Dealer Charges

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ya know the "dealer fee" thing always seemed like a scam to me (maybe SmallDealer can weigh in on this)
I mean, shouldn't that stuff be factored into the price of the car? Seems like a gimmic where the dealer can say "Sure, you can have the car for invoice! There will just be a small fee of $500" Didn't he just make $500 on the car afterall?
You know like the TV commercial says "It's yours - ABSOLUTELY FREE!!! ....there's just a small shipping and handling fee of $79.95!"

My dealer is charging me a "docking fee" on my Sol. Hmmmmm...
So let me understand this... your charging me money to take the vehicle off the truck? So if I don't want to pay it, can I drive it off myself? ;)

Sorry just playing :devil: 's advocate.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My original order was at a dealer where I would have been the 7th order and they only had a toptal of 4 for their first 4 month allocation. Their dealer fee was $195 and is printed as part of their sales contract form.

I found another dealer where I am now slated to get their first of 4 allocated but their dealer fee is $495 and was not negotiable (also printed as part of their sales contract form). I know it may be on other models, but not on this one. Since I have about $300 in GM card earnings expiring in December or shortly thereafter (I have the OLD grandfathered card where I can cash in up to $3500 and I have about $3280 saved up) I decided to get my car earlier since my bottom line will be a wash between the two delaers.

Regardless, it still seems like a scam to me. :cuss:

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have always balked at paying the document fee or whatever the dealers want to call it. I always felt this was part of a dealer's cost of doing business and should come out of his profit. I have walked away from a deal when they wouldn't take it off, but when I made the deal for my Solstice back in January, 2005, I told the salesman that I would not fight them over the $149 document fee since I was getting it for MSRP, I would not haggle.
By the way, my dealer called yesterday to tell me that I should receive my Solstice by the middle of October! Can't hardly wait.
:)

·
Registered
976 Posts
A word on doc. (Documentation) Fees....

The correct answer to the thread question is...."most states have a cap to how much a dealer can charge for miscellanious fee's. And dealer's are well aware of that cap." I am sure it is different for every state. Hope the other dealers on the forum will chime in here......

I charge a $25 doc. fee, which includes the title application fee. In our state you pay your tax, title , and license on your own. Keep in mind that you would have to pay for the title application at the state anyway. I think that is around $10.00

I feel that a small fee of $25 should be charged on any car deal, whether the car is financed or not. I think over $100 is excessive, but not 25-50.

Finance makes their money from the bank, sort of a kick back for signing up a customer. Usually salesmen get a small kickback as well. At my dealership the kickback for financing a deal is $25 to the salesman. So the I don't think the doc fee should pay the finance dept.

Just tossing out random thoughts here, but the shop charges $58/hr, and I know that it takes our ladies in the office some time to finish up sending things off to the proper places, making sure middle initials are in certain spots, etc....

that being said, yes it is all profit. It doesn't go into the profit I split with the dealership(commission base), but it is profit none the less. But why would I just add it into the price of the car, as someone suggested? Just as much of a gimmick IMO. that's like saying I will throw in ten free gallons of gas, and just adding $30.00 to the invoice. Senseless to add the doc. fee anywhere but right out front, usually when quoting the price...

"Mr. Becker, looks like only $23,580, plus our paperwork fee." .......

And why should a dealer have to eat that? Did you know that a dealer has to pay interest on every vehicle on his lot? Some of them he looses alot of money to sell, should he charge you that? Should he drop his advertising costs if you order the car, since he won't have it sitting around on his lot? Between the cars that sell right away and the cars that sit around, a dealer really just hopes to break even on the interest.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Doc fees

Doc fees can very. I don't know if the regular hold fees are on this car but thay were around 3% of the car price. This paid for advertisement and lights heat or what ever, they also need money to stay in business. :lurk:

·
Registered
621 Posts
My document fee was only like $55 or so. TTL brought it up to $150ish. Now if I can get just that extra dollar back from PennDOT for the tire tax. :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
tbird54 said:
Doc fees can very. I don't know if the regular hold fees are on this car but thay were around 3% of the car price. This paid for advertisement and lights heat or what ever, they also need money to stay in business. :lurk:

I don't thing GM will put more than 2% advertising. And they make their money in holdback, if it doesn't get eaten up in interest on the floor plan. And thank you for pointing that out....

·
Registered
976 Posts
Drex said:
My document fee was only like $55 or so. TTL brought it up to $150ish. Now if I can get just that extra dollar back from PennDOT for the tire tax. :)
Your tax, title and license only came up to $150? Our tax here is 7%, so I assume you traded something in?

·
Registered
22 Posts
cadillacricket said:
I don't thing GM will put more than 2% advertising. And they make their money in holdback, if it doesn't get eaten up in interest on the floor plan. And thank you for pointing that out....
I think that poeple like to look at lot that has a lot of cars and this helps. This is just like feeding cattle. It cost. :grouphug:

·
Registered
976 Posts
tbird54 said:
I think that poeple like to look at lot that has a lot of cars and this helps. This is just like feeding cattle. It cost. :grouphug:

amen to that..... My lot is almost empty right now, and I can't get anyone to take any car's off of the lot. Having to trade for everything right now..

Totally off topic there, wasn't I?

·
Registered
621 Posts
cadillacricket said:
Your tax, title and license only came up to $150? Our tax here is 7%, so I assume you traded something in?
Opps... make the TL. Taxes are 6% here, force of habit made it come out TTL.

·
Registered
284 Posts
question on fees

as I have never bought a new car before, I have a few questions on the fees. I know the pricing quotes always say "before tax, title, and license" but what does that really mean? Where do these fees come into play (what gets paid at the dealership and what gets paid at the BMV)? When you finance your car do the fees get wrapped into the finance amount? Also, the tax, is that sales tax added onto the car's price; so say 6% of $23000 would mean I'm actually paying $24380 to the dealer??

Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts