Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how much preparation people are doing before they buy their Solstice.

I have just purchased my "Winter" car. I live in Michigan so this is very much needed. I found a '91 Jeep Wrangler for $3900. Great shape and runs nice. And I can have fun with this too in the summer.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Lets see.......
1) I'm saving saving saving
2) The wife's trying to get a job lined up for when she graduates in May so we can put her paycheck towards the Solstice.
3) I'm coming up with plans to add on a workshop/garage behind my current 2-car garage so I can park my '79 Camaro in there and start restoring it and still give me someplace to park the Solstice and the wife's car.
:thumbs

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Making my last payment on my every day driver (SUV) this month...extra money for the down payment.

Planning where I'm going to store this puppy in the winter months.

Hanging out here

Paying off all the things I had to buy the wife after she found out I was buying a 2nd car :smile

That's about it

·
Registered
183 Posts
Selling my vette now. But unless I hear of a turbo/supercharged model the first year I'll probably just get a S2000. The standard car will be flat out slow.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Have about 20% saved now for the down payment. I hope to have more saved by then and also I will sell my daily driver to add to it. I hope to have about 40-45% of the cost as a down payment, the rest I will finance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've got MSRP saved up at this point... waiting to hear about trunk space, convertible top convenience, forced induction details, etc. before I'm certain. I'm still following 2002-2003 Z06 prices rather closely :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
my plans are shot to hell. i was gonna start an aftermarket site for the car and use the profits to develop my own parts/ideas for the car. things that would be kappa-specific and not likely to be made by larger companies invested in larger markets. the startup capital plus purchase of the car(s) is just too much for my finances.

so, now i am just gonna get the first stice i can and go from there. it'll just take me a lot lnger to get the car where i want it.GMs choice of a power adder will dictate if i move on to the FI model. i wont buy an eaton roots-type powered stice.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Saving hard. Got a For Sale sign on the old Camaro to help with the down payment. Putting the final touches on the ex's '48 Chevy that's taking up the garage space that will house the new car. Not making some of the repairs to the daily driver Honda I normally would 'cuz no since fixing someone elses car. Let them worry about the weak clutch and the oil leak at the rear main seal. Passed on a good deal on a '04 Sportster 'cuz a bike and a roadster wouldn't make sense.

·
Registered
753 Posts
i have 130k miles on my 1998 ford f-150 stx...my daily commuter truck. i'd like to keep it for a weekend go to the lumberyard truck so i hope i can get my new daily driver asap- if it were available today i'd be driving one tonight.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Not seriously yet. I'm buying a house this spring, so a new car payment is out for a little while. My boy turns 16 December 2005, so I will give him my Ranger and get a Solstice soon after. I'm hoping the early rush on Solstices is over by then and the price gouging, (if any), has gone away. With my luck, Pontiac will be sold out and I'll have to wait till production is increased. :mad

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm planning to sell my 98 Integra and I'm doing some Landscaping and deck work for a few friends. I will also be selling some stock. I should have only 45% to 50% that I will need to finance. I'm not worried about it being underpowered the first year. The horsepower and weight are very close to my Integra which is enough for me. :thumbs

Thanks for building it BOB!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I am ready to buy it today if it were to suddenly appear on a dealer lot from a financial standpoint! :cool My cars are both paid for (88 Fiero Formula and an '02 Jeep Wrangler Sahara).

My biggest problem is what to do with this fleet once I get the Solstice. I am somewhat of the opinion that two vehicles for just me is a little too much. However, winters in Buffalo dictate the need for a winter car if I really want to drive a low to the ground sports car too. That is what the Jeep is for. But my heart is really with the Fiero, and although I am dying for the Solstice, I am not so sure I could give the Fiero up.

I am hoping to get a restoration project going on the Fiero after I pick up the Solstice, but I am going to have to find some more garage room for all these vehicles if I do that!

Its at least a good dilema to have! :smile

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Down payment is in the "bank," actually earning more interest. :thumbs My current 60 mile-per-day commuting to work vehicle is a '96 Dodge Stratus that I've put 20,000 miles per year on since December '01 (tremendous vehicle!). Our daughter drives a '00 Saturn SL1, wife drives a '00 Chrysler 300M that we just purchased. No doubt either the Stratus or SL1 will go; depends on what car the daughter would rather have!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Let's just say mine is unofficially ordered. I currently don't have a car payment and my son will be out of college by next summer. My wife drives a 99 Tahoe which also pulls our camper and I drive an 89 Park Avenue. The Buick will be my winter car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am going to be saving, saving, and doing a little more saving. I am going to put as much down as possible, and hopefully my payments won't be too high. I am hoping to have one by the time I get into college.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am seriously saving for the pontiac solstice. I'm even selling my camaro, then I'll have a very nice down payment. Just need to decide on the color I wanna get. Maybe black or silver. :crazy :thumbs

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I started a savings account a bit ago, and a bit of each paycheck goes in there every two weeks. I'll also either trade in my ZX2 S/R for the Kappa car I get, or sell it myself depending on what I get offered for it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been earning money with my GM card and trying to save as much as i can. This is going to be my present to myself once i graduate college in May, so the timing could not be better. I'll set myself up with a good job and a sweet ride, I HOPE! My next decision is to keep the 99 grand prix or trade it....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts