Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

How should GM distinguish the turbo version?(You can pick more than one)

• Dual exhaust, boost guage on pillar, different front facia and emblems

Votes: 48 68.6%
  • Different front fenders to allow brake cooling ducts

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Different hood with "power bulge" or scoop

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Stripes on hood and rear deck

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Added spoiler on rear deck

• Added "style bar" above headrests (imitation roll bar)

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Added body cladding ("ground effects")

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • contrasting embroidery on headrest w/ "hypo" name

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • special color paint

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Different style wheels

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Nothing - I like mine a "sleeper"

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, it's apparent that the Forced Induction long rumored to be in development is going to be a turbo. How should GM distinguish it from the normal and less expensive version?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks Mystery Moderator for adding the sleeper option. I tried for two long trying to get around the 10 question block and ended up deleting some options (rear wing..yuck! ) and consolidating others. Anyone have anything I left out?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Cool idea for the poll! (I am not the mystery mod on this one)

I would like to see as few visual changes as possible. At least major ones. Not really for a sleeper affect, but because the car looks so good as it is. The dual exhausts would be great, and maybe some slight changes otherwise, such as possibly some subtly ground fx, but I don't really think it needs it. I selected wheels, just to give it a little more visual distinction, and maybe the headrest embroidery because that would be a neat touch.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
As I said in my rant on consolidating Pontiac I really feel every car should have a GXP version. I also feel that every GXP should have something fiarly different about it to make it stand out product wise from the rest. Dual exhaust helps a lot, but I think it needs to be more. Aggresive front facia, brake ducts on the sides, edgier sport wheels, etc. Make it stand out, make people KNOW what you're driving.

If you want a sleeper buy the base and build it up. This is a Solstice GXP, be proud of your performance heratige, don't try to hide it! All of us are proud of this car, we should be proud to let the world know what they're missing out on.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I see what you mean by showing off the performance hetritage. I just don't think you need to shout it from the roof tops with a car like this. The base cars styling already makes the car a standout. I just hate to see any add ons taken too far. There comes a point where any car can be overdone. I am sure I will step on some toes, but I always felt the big nostrils on the last WS6 Trans Ams was too much. The car certainly looked fast and hot without them. I don't think they did anything but take a terrific looking car and make it gawdy. I'd hate to see a Solstice get to the point where I thought it was gawdy too!

Subtle changes can also be effective. The Mercedes and BMW people seem to be able to make their AMG/M vehicles stand out without going to extremes.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fformula88 said:
... but I always felt the big nostrils on the last WS6 Trans Ams was too much. The car certainly looked fast and hot without them. I don't think they did anything but take a terrific looking car and make it gawdy. I'd hate to see a Solstice get to the point where I thought it was gawdy too!

Subtle changes can also be effective. The Mercedes and BMW people seem to be able to make their AMG/M vehicles stand out without going to extremes.
:agree: For me, I'm hoping that Pontiac leans in the subtle direction for once. Think about past performance version identifiers in the past, the HUGE Firebird decal on the hood and all the plastic body cladding on the Bonneville SSEi (one car mag called it the Bonneville See Me). They could learn from Chevy when to distinguish the nineties SS Impalla, they actually removed the Caprice's body clads.

The Solstice is a great looking car with smooth lines that could all too easily be turned into a joke with too much of a bad thing. Picture a car with all of these things listed and all the bad press it would receive. Anyone remember the Saab Sonnet before they sent it to Bertrone where it got all it's lumps and warts removed?

·
Registered
139 Posts
just the exhausts and wheels for me. special wheels will be more than enough to accentuate the difference. and make them nice like the stock bmw wheels. ive always thought bmw made the best wheels...

and please please no different fascias. i love the looks of the solstice the way it is. its a classic flowing design and i think that anything too aggressive would just look horrible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like the dual exhaust idea. And I can totally picture this car with a hood scoop -styling stolen from the shelby cobra. It would have to be functional though. I make fun of my friends camaro all the time because it has a "design feature" where it looks like air should go in, but, nope! it's just plastic.

If the car is going to be a turbo, as discussed, that would be a cool place for the intercooler like on the Subaru WRX. NOT NEARLY AS OBNOXIOUS, though. Dont get me wrong, when i say hood scoop, I mean like half an an inch off the hood smoothly molded into hood itself.

- :willy:

link to cobra picture

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
GM calls it the little vette, so make it look like this:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I would like to see mostly the same car, but with these changes:

Dual NACA Hood scoops (they're the kind that dip into the hood instead of sticking out)
Dual exhaust
Different Badging
Different wheels, maybe something blacked out.
Different grill and valance panels, like an actual metal mesh like on Bentleys
A boost guage, not nessisarily on the A pillar, as well as a more complete guage package.
6 speed
Different color options for the interior.

And of coarse bright color and stripe options for all future Solstices.

·
Registered
26 Posts
AeroDave said:
I would like to see mostly the same car, but with these changes:

Dual NACA Hood scoops (they're the kind that dip into the hood instead of sticking out)
Dual exhaust
Different Badging
Different wheels, maybe something blacked out.
Different grill and valance panels, like an actual metal mesh like on Bentleys
A boost guage, not nessisarily on the A pillar, as well as a more complete guage package.
6 speed
Different color options for the interior.

And of coarse bright color and stripe options for all future Solstices.
oooh, I like your idea for the hoodscoops. I like your other ideas too, but I would have to change "not necessarily on the A pillar" to "NOT on the A pillar"

- :willy:

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Or maybe like this:

·
497 Posts
I hope Pontiac takes a conservative approach to any turbo styling cues. The beauty of the Solstice is the simple clean design. I would like to see dual exhaust for sure, and maybe a modified grill. A very subtle hood bulge would be okay for me but I would not go so far as scoops; I would prefer any functional induction to be in the grill or at the cowl. A boost gage imbedded in the existing cluster at the bottom of the speedo or tach would be perfect IMHO.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i say cowl inducton and move the wheels more into the wheel wells. and alot of gagues like oil presure. boost. temp and volts and a dash with you can change your colors to any of 2 thousand

·
Registered
905 Posts
Dual exhaust and some ram air type deal on the hood, maybe a little spoiler in the back.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
bradyb, I like that! :thumbs: But instead of making the Sol look like that, they just need to make that car's sticker look more like the Solstice's! :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts