Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only thing that does not work on my newly acquired '06 Solstice is the 12V power outlet on the lower dash. All the fuses check out. Cannot figure out how to remove plastic in order to check the wires and/or replace the outlet. I need it to charge the cell phone and run the GPS! Can someone give me some hints on how to remove the panels without breaking the plastic. I have so far been able to remove the plastic panel surround for the e-brake, passenger grab handle and vee shaped panel behind it. What's next?!

·
Registered
3,441 Posts

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, that wasn't too hard to remove the dash assembly! Thanks for the info and the link. There is power to the plug so at this point, I would have to say the 12V socket is bad. Will call the local Chevy dealer later this morning and see if I can get a new one. Thanks again for your help...

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Well, that wasn't too hard to remove the dash assembly! Thanks for the info and the link. There is power to the plug so at this point, I would have to say the 12V socket is bad. Will call the local Chevy dealer later this morning and see if I can get a new one. Thanks again for your help...
They are available and not too expensive (<$10), but a bit of a bear to get out! Seems odd that the socket is bad. Unless you see corrosion or loose contacts, there's little there to go wrong. I would suggest you look more closely at the wiring, or even the connector itself before you go through the hassle of getting the socket out, only to find the old one was fine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
As was already said, there is really not much to go bad with the socket. You said there was power present in the wire to the socket....did you check the ground side for continuity to ground?
Remember it is mounted in plastic so the plug socket needs to receive it's ground through a wire also. :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
12V power supply socket as is...dead. I have removed the socket from the system. Only the wire and plug is now sticking out of the dash hole. When I attach jumper wires from plug to item I want to energize, it works. I have ordered a new socket from the local Chevy dealer. Only cost a bit over six bucks. Should be in Thursday. Will post results...

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New part came in this morning. Went after it and installed it when home. It works!!! Total cost of part came to $7.95.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
New part came in this morning. Went after it and installed it when home. It works!!! Total cost of part came to $7.95.
Nice to hear a story that doesn't end in hundreds of dollars spent and arguments with warranty and dealers!

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Sweet! Thanks for the update as it's always nice to hear how the story ends.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Why can't they all end so perfectly!! :willy:

Glad you got it working! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the exact same problem with my 12v outlet! Although its comforting to hear that this was an easy fix, I am really doubting that I can do this myself. No one to help with it so my next option is to take it to the dealer?? Appreciate any other suggestions!

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Mine didn't work either when I got my car 18 months ago
I bought s new socket an replaced it in 20 mins or so
Be careful with the plastic as it gets thin/narrow up by the radio

Cheers??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts