Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there, I just want to go to the process I did to install a GSM/GPS Tracker on my '07 Pontiac Solstice with the Monsoon System (I mention this because used I picked the battery line from the AMP which is always hot). In the days than we're living you never know if you have your things secure, at least for me than park on an covered open garage, that's the reason I decided to go with this approach of security.

I got the tracker actually from Amazon at a very good price and it have many functions like:
  • SMS/GPRS/Internet Network data transmission
  • Support both GPS / GSM station positioning ways
  • GPRS on-line and GPRS re-connected automatically if GPRS drops
  • SMS / GPRS dual-mode switching
  • Support for point-to-point, point to group, group-to-group monitoring
    Set multiple functions of security, positioning, monitoring surveillance, emergency alarms and tracking in its entirety
  • You can turn off the engine remotely

LIST OF THINGS YOU'll NEED
TOTAL: $121.72**

*I bought this one but there's another one with is exactly the same but include a remote controller to arm and disarm the system. I didn't know of this one but maybe you can try it, you'll save on SMS. The model is TK103B.
**Some of this things you'll have already, in my case I needed to buy them because I'm new in US and don't have nothing, that's why I included on the price.

First of all you need to think where to place the tracker, the antennas and the rest of the things. As the antennas needs to be looking at the open sky (no metals above them or you will lose a lot of signal) I found a perfect place the gap between the rear cup holders and the glove compartment (See photos below)

If you go with the same approach as me, you'll need to disassemble the water fall, the centre console and all the rear parts to see something like this.

At this very early stage, I took all the parts than we disassembled and bring them to the apartment so I had a chance to clean them well. I used the 3M Heavy Duty Mounting Tape to put the actual tracker in place. Note than the cup holder have a little lip where we are going to place the tracker, here you have two options or cut it or cut the tape (I preferred to cut the tape as you won't see anything after all, you'll need to add some layers of tape to make it thicker).

You'll see on later pictures it fit perfectly here. I placed the antennas on the waterfall itself the GSM have a 3M tape is just paste it. The GPS is magnetic so you'll need actually a flat fridge magnet for example, be sure is bigger than the antenna so it acts like a reflector and you'll get better signal on close spaces. I also put the microphone (not sure to what is used) on one of the holes of that glove compartment because is easy to install it, is hide and you can hear if the top is down (I didn't tested it as I don't know for what is used but I assuming with the top up, the noise of the wind won't let you hear anything). You can see on the pictures I also put the reset button there too but I had to remove it from there because the water fall won't fit when you try to install, the button itself is to thick.

Before place the cup holder in, you'll need to insert the SIM Card and the microSD in because you won't be able after put it. Once you have it and you are installing it connect the antenna cables to and wrap the cable than you're not going to use, that way it will be a cleaner installation if you'll need to remove the waterfall after. You will have something like this (Forget about the harness connector and the reset button, you won't have it connected yet but it will be a good idea to check if the connector and the cables fits correctly and you can open the glove box)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
How To: Add GSM/GPS Tracker System Edit Post Part 2

Now it's time to go back to the car. Put in place your waterfall and check if all will fit. Get you cable harness and check your manual to see which cable is what and get the battery cable (Red). This one need to be connected to an always hot battery wire and as I have the monsoon amp, this is the red on the bottom connector (Amp have always power but it turns on when the radio sends the signal to turn on). You'll need to find a ground and connect it too (Close to the amp there's one connection so make the connection there).

At this stage you can connect the harness to the tracker and place the cables where the ones near the hand brake are (you can add some tape to make it more pro and hide). You can install the waterfall and all other pieces you disassemble before because you're done in this part of the car. ONE MORE THING, REMEMBER TO PUT IN ON YOUR TRACKER. If you don't it will work as far as the battery is connected but if it's not it won't use the battery instead, so just power on the tracker and make sure it's working properly. ANOTHER THING, I placed the reset button where the top is, there are some sensors I just taped it somewhere hide there so I can actually reset with the top half way down.

Now you need to disassemble the front part, just like you do to change the radio (I followed the instructions of this post http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f61/how-aftermarket-headunit-replacement-15707/ it's a very good stuff, thank you AztekzRpurty). You need to disassemble all the centre console with the metal part of the gearbox as well (Unfortunately I don't have the pictures of this but is quite simple to do it, just some bolts). And place the cables all the way from the waterfall to the radio compartment.

Now I places the SOS button where the OBDII connector is, behind it. You can reach it while you're driving and is hide, you won't see it unless you know is there (if you put it correctly) just like this:

This is I have for now, I'll write some more as I'll have it.

EDITED 10-06-2012

As I mounted everything back to the car 2 weekends ago, because is the one I used daily, I needed to disable all the back part again in order to connect the Shock Sensor I bought from eBay (Just plug and play but you need to connect it to the tracker so...). I put it on the waterfall chassis but in the trunk part (not behind the seat) because this is like a sensor and you can config the intensity so I don't want to disable everything just to config it. Is hide here as well (you only can see it with the top middle down and as it's black you don't notice is there). I have just one picture but it was already dark and you can't appreciate it very clear but here it is:

And the last part of the project is how to wire the door sensor, the horn, ACC and fuel pump. Reading on the forum, with the help of TomatoSoup and some other websites with wiring diagrams for alarms I figured out how to wire this. The only thing I don't have yet is the fuel pump because I'm waiting for my multimeter to be delivered (I don't want to cut this cable if I'm not 100% sure). The other wires I'm 100% sure are correct and I tested those.

For the door triggers I finally found how to add the trunk trigger too, so now all 3 doors trigger the alarm too when it's arm. The wires are located on the BCM (Body Control Module), is part of the fuse/relay box below the glove box. It has the following connectors: C1-72 pin gray plug, C2-72 pin gray plug, C3-41 pin red plug, and C4-68 pin lt. gray plug.

Using the manual of the tracker where you have the wires, you need to use the blue wire (negative trigger because the door switches are active low, the wire is grounded when someone opens the door - TomatoSoup). We have 3 wires from the BCM to only one on the tracker, you need to weld oll this together but using the Diodes we bought (See first post for the buying list) like this:

The cables from BCM are:
- Passenger Trigger: C1 19 (Tan/White)
- Driver Trigger: C1 22 (Gray/Black)
- Trunk Trigger: C1 55 (Orange/Black)

All this are negative wires so you won't have any problems. I used one diode per cable (this is 3 in total).

Cable for ACC is C4 C8 (Brown). Special attention to this one, is located behind the BCM, you need to disable the 4 bolts and is the connector behind it.

Cable for Horn is C2 14 (Tan). I didn't weld this one because I prefer to have a silent system and also because on the wiring diagram of the tracker seems like it needs a positive cable for the horn and the one in the BCM is negative, so you'll need to find another one, maybe directly to the horn.

Once all connected I hide all cables and taped them so it looks stock and is more difficult to see than the car have the system installed. Hope this guide help some one and feel free to ask if you have any other question. I'll post tomorrow pictures of the system working, today was raining here and I couldn't so..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reserved too

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Nice write-up!

The door switches are active low (the wire is grounded when someone opens the door) - thus, negative trigger.
- Passenger door wire is Tan/White on BCM connector C1, pin 19
- Driver door wire is Gray/Black on BCM connector C1, pin 22

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks TomatoSoup for that, I'll wire this probably during the weekend. Any thought on the fuel pump wires? Or which I can actually use to turn off the car?

wspohn it look more complex than what it is, also because I tried to be detailed on text and include all pictures of the process hoping it will help others with their setups

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Thanks TomatoSoup for that, I'll wire this probably during the weekend. Any thought on the fuel pump wires? Or which I can actually use to turn off the car?
Don't have wiring info, but the tank pump and wiring is accessible in the trunk on top of the 'Mayan temple'. You'll have to pull out the rear carpet to get at it though.

Then it's just a case of finding which wires are for the pump... See which wire(s) have 12V when the car is on, and pull underhood relay 19 (fuel pump) (or fuse 13) and check where the 12v goes to 0.

UPDATE: I found a diagram showing that the wire colour is Grey (YMMV).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi TomatoSoup thanks again, I'm going to check this today, now I'm going to run for a while and then I'll go back to work on the car :)

carnut122 I forgot to add some picture of the tracker working, I'll do it today and post it later, but yes is working very accurate when I tested on an open street. Inside a garage I think is not that accurate but as it have lots of options you can put the tracker like in arm state and it start sending data to a server, so you can see the route of the car and last stops and things like that. I bought it on Amazon, I'll send you the link in a PM

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Research on door triggers

Hi TomatoSoup, I was looking on the internet about this and found this page 2006-2008*Pontiac*Solstice*Vehicle Wiring Chart and Diagram where it explain you some of the cable connections and where to find them (You're right with the connections and everything) but it says:

NOTE #3: When connecting to an Alarm System, use both wires and DIODE ISOLATE, See DIAGRAM
Researching about this I found this picture explaining what is that

So now I need to buy some of this diodes (1 or 2 AMP) and also I'll include the trunk door trigger (If I find the wire), so the alarm will be activated on this too :). I'll change the fuel pump to ignition instead, I think will be better for the engine, what do you think?

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
You can get the diodes from RadioShack (1N400x will work just fine) - these for example: 1N4003 Micro 1-Amp Diode : Diodes | RadioShack.com

I would stick with the fuel pump. a) Too difficult to find an ignition point to use. b) If you have a hard 'off' point, your thieves might start tearing into the car to find the alarm. Whereas is you have a soft point (the car will drive a distance before stopping) they might well think it's a problem with the car, and/or be in a public area where they'll just dump it rather than continue with the theft.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks TomatoSoup for your help, I found on Radioshack another pack of 25 diodes for $2.99 and I bought it. I finished with my installation, just remain the fuel pump but I have now the wires ready so I don't need to disable all the interior again :lol: (It's really a pain in the ass). I updated the first post with the buying list and the last one with the steps remaining for the complete installation. Hope yo all like it, feel free to comment

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, thank you for so detailed instructions and information how to do this :) I suppose that price have changed during the time and the prices list are not actual at this time. But the sequence kept and are still actual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts