Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Great job Aztek, GM should consider your headunit design just to gain that extra storage space under the unit :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Powering off

The reason your radio stays on is because you tapped into the constant power wire. Most GM radios today are controlled mostly through a data-BUS wire (LAN signal). It controls all chimes and warning signals, as well as accessory turn-on signals. The only way you can get your radio to turn on and off with the key is to get a harness that lets you gain control of the data-BUS wire (the only way you can do it directly behind the dash, that is). When I installed my Kenwood double din, I went to the fuse box and grabbed an accessory wire, it does turn off when the car is off, not after you open the door. I believe it was a brown wire in the main harness. I did try modifying a basic GM wire harness that had a data-BUS box, but the LAN connections are totally different, and I didn't recieve any signal. The only positive thing about not getting the data-BUS wire to work, is that my blinkers don't make that annoying sound anymore. Just thought I would put in my two cents

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nice work!!!

Aztek,

just wondering if you got around to the speakers or anyone else for that matter has replaced them.

Are they 6.5 in in the door and 4 in behind the seats?

I might just change the speakers and add an amp for now so I don't loose the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
212 Posts
cartmann32 said:
The reason your radio stays on is because you tapped into the constant power wire. ... The only way you can get your radio to turn on and off with the key is to get a harness that lets you gain control of the data-BUS wire (the only way you can do it directly behind the dash, that is). ...
So then how does the factory radio shut off when you turn off the car? You make it sound like the factory radio isn't connected to the accessory wire.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
L3M1315 said:
So then how does the factory radio shut off when you turn off the car? You make it sound like the factory radio isn't connected to the accessory wire.
The factory radio turns off when you open the door, which means the factory radio isn't connected through an actual accessory wire. The entire audio system and multiple other accessories are powered through the DATA-BUS system. It recieves a signal from the door when it is opened and then turns off the power to the radio. For right now, you cannot have an aftermarket radio do that until someone (scosche or metra) comes out with an aftermarket radio harness adapter to gain control of the acc. turn-on signal. If you go to a stereo dealer, they have basic gm harness for $100-12o, and in them they have a box that has a little speaker in it. You will notice that there is a purple, yellow and black wire going into the box and a red wire coming out of it. That means that with the box and purple (Data-bus) wire, you gain an accessory wire that communicate with the data-bus wire, hence, your aftermarket radio will function exactly like your stock one did. Hope I didn't confuse you, it's hard to explain how it works exactly, but if you probed every wire behind you radio, you will have none give you a turn-on voltage when you turn the key on. So just go to the fuse box untill there is a harness available.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well Done!

Great job on the post Aztek! :thumbs: I'm sure everyone appriciates the time you put into this post. Can't wait to see it this weekend at TMS.

Cheers :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Critterman said:
Looks good and a storage area, what more could you ask for :)
I was thinking the same thing.. you like DOUBLED your storage area! :lol:

Looks great.. how many days/cut fingers and curses did it take? it looks like a big job,, I wonder if that is how Best Buy does it?

Jim

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I don't know how they would get it in any other way.

They probably would just cut the wiring though. I just didn't trust them to get the big boomerang piece off without any damage. I knew I could take my time and back off if something wasn't going smooth.

It took me from about 10:00 in the morning till about 4 or 5. Would take a lot less now.

·
Registered
271 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thank you so much for the illustration on this!! This will be a big help for when I install my new Radio.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts