Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace my battery. I opened the fender, removed the battery, and installed the new battery. The problem I have is aligning the fender. I snugged it in place; the door opened and closed fine. When I tightened it down the edge of the door hit the fender. The other problem I had was the fender in the middle is out too far. The top and bottom are aligned. Please HELP! Bob

·
Administrator
9,155 Posts

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
For other folks seeing this thread before they change their battery, let this be a warning!

ALWAYS use painters tape at the top and trailing (door-adjacent) edges and make alignment marks with a Sharpie pen, BEFORE removing the panel!

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
For other folks seeing this thread before they change their battery, let this be a warning!

ALWAYS use painters tape at the top and trailing (door-adjacent) edges and make alignment marks with a Sharpie pen, BEFORE removing the panel!
Good advice. I prefer the fender removal option while others prefer to remove the wheel. Removing the wheel is more work (in my opinion) but eliminates the misalignment risk.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I'll take the freaking windshield out myself before I take sheet metal off of that car. The body alignment guide (linked to elsewhere) is helpful, but incomplete.

Having removed, from the blue car:
- Hood
- LH door
- Trunk lid
- Both fenders
- Head and tail lights
- Rear bumper
- Soft top

(Or, everything except the quarter panels and the RH door)

I'm probably doing it wrong. :) I sometimes consider and regret the series of events that have led me to this point. :|

I can say with some authority that getting everything aligned is a dark art, the secrets of which have been lost to antiquity. Or at least are hidden from me, which is equally likely.

The wheel liners should really come with some sort of quick disconnect feature. Any time you're working on the engine, it is 100 times less (physically) painful if you can straddle the control arm, sit on the tire, and do your thing, rather than bending over the liner the whole time. If everything didn't get so wet and dirty with them removed while driving, I'd just leave them off permanently.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts

I'd love to see a series of pics on that the next time you have occasion to remove a fender. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I have to wonder if the lines of the Sky make it easier to realign that panel because I have had mine off three times with no drama getting it back in the correct location. More evidence of its innate superiority maybe?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
@JohnWR It helps somewhat that the Sky fenders are fiberglass. Steel flexes a lot, and the panel is under some amount of tension normally.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I'd love to see a series of pics on that the next time you have occasion to remove a fender. :)
Better still, here's DeepBlueGXP's battery removal video. Now he only marks the fender support (triangular thingy) at 3'18" and draws on the metal directly, but I would also mark the fender alignment itself, too, at the start.

https://vimeo.com/14513041

Replacement:

https://vimeo.com/14513086

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I had to replace my battery. I opened the fender, removed the battery, and installed the new battery. The problem I have is aligning the fender. I snugged it in place; the door opened and closed fine. When I tightened it down the edge of the door hit the fender. The other problem I had was the fender in the middle is out too far. The top and bottom are aligned. Please HELP! Bob
For the middle of the fender - assuming you mean "middle" vertically - remember the Big Ass Bolt that goes in the back, between the door and the fender. That hole, IIRC, is slotted. The fender also rotates along the vertical axis.

It's a pain. I'd happily buy one of the factory workers stock in their favorite brewery to find out how they did it. I'm reasonably certain that they didn't spend an hour or more per car getting every panel correctly aligned.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts