Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How to Align your Hood or WHAT NOT TO DO.

First off, I'll give you some background information. I'm a bit obsessive/compulsive on things and for the past few weeks the larger space between the hood and the door compared to the fender on the driver's side was driving me "Ape $h!t".

So Saturday I decided to do something about it. Armed with the PDF from this forum on alignment procedures I decided to try doing a "better job than factory". :) Mistake... in the end I buggered it up and took a lot more time to get it back to where it was when I discovered I should have just moved the fender back a few mm instead of the hood forward!

So after a brief stint in the hospital emergency ward on Sat morning... I finally got it all worked out (as of this morning Sunday). The hospital will be explained a little further down as a "what NOT to do". Luckily nothing was broken and I only have sever swelling and tissue damage of my right index finger. Ouch!

So you want to adjust your hood? (this is what I did, you may have a better idea). I wanted to move the hood backwards toward the trunk about 3-4 mm.

Step One:
Remove the head lights. It takes 10 minutes and is the only way you can do this correctly. You'll need a torx bit. After they are removed...

Step Two:
With the help of a buddy or two broom handles (what I used)... remove the pneumatic struts. WARNING... this will be dangerous and the hood is heavy.
As you may be wondering, this ISN'T how I hurt myself. This is what I SHOULD have done... instead...

I remove the strut from the drivers side only. Then removed the upper clip on the passenger side but left the strut in place. I then carefully lowered the hood and clicked it in place. I then poked my hand in the headlight hole and popped off the top strut. MISTAKE!!!! My hand was now pinned by the top of the pneumatic strut against the hood by my index finger.

Now image your finger stuck in a press or vise exerting 60-80 lbs of pressure.
I was alone in the garage at 8:30 on a Saturday morning. I couldn't pull out my hand, and my wife was in the house. It hurt like HELL, and could have passed out from the pain... luckily I saw a neighbor across the street loading his car.

I yelled "HELP"... he yelled back... "no thanks, I'm ok"... I yelled back... "NO I NEED HELP". He rushed over and tried to help me lower the strut... no luck.

Long story short, he got my wife, who handed me a small screw driver and I was able to stick my other hand in to undo the bottom clip and remove the strut! I was lucky, my wife called 911.. but all I could think about before I removed my finger was that the fire department would wreck my poor 2008 (6,000 km) Mean Yellow GXP.

At this point I was in shock. The ambulance came and took me away until 12 noon. No broken bones, just a stupid feeling of... hmm... maybe I should have removed BOTH struts. I was also thinking of how I would continue adjusting the hood....

STEP THREE:
At about 1:30 I started again... With a swollen finger and a bag of frozen peas and ice (optional in your case). I proceeded to loosen the four bolts on the bottom part of the hinge attached to the frame.

It moves very well but I couldn't get that extra 3 mm forward.

STEP FOUR:
I removed both fenders and loosened the hood locks. Moved the hood forward, lined up all the lines, made sure the front and back was PERFECT. Then tightened the hinge bolts and the lock bolts.

STEP FIVE:
I asked my wife to hold up the hood while I put the struts in place. (She was afraid to leave me alone in the garage with the car, and still asks me where I'm going if I leave the house with a wrench or racket set... I'm 50 years old BTW).

STEP SIX:
With the hood safely secured I proceeded to make further tiny adjustments using the Pontiac/Saturn Adjustment Manual.

STEP SEVEN (Sunday Morning):
Now what has been bugging me all night is the hood needs to be dropped with force to close and it doesn't "pop-up" when released. After some fiddling I was able to get it working.

What I did:
First off I determined the passenger side lock was binding. I placed a piece of masking take across the lock and found that it was hitting the forward edge, not falling straight down the middle. I first tried moving the U fastener on the hood... not much play there. But I move it a few mm and tightened the bolts.

Better but not enough. Next I loosened the bolts on the lock and moved it forward... tested with tape and found it was dead-on.

But the hood would not lock at all. I checked the rubber bumper on the hood and found it was as low as it was going to get (or as high ie... compressed into the hood)... I then loosen the lock and moved it up about 4mm. tested with tape. Then did the "Drop test"...

From 8-12 inches I let go of the hood (no force)... it snapped shut and stayed... I then released the hood and both sides "popped-up".

I did it... AND I still have my finger.

I hope others find this useful and learn from my mistakes. I'm going to put my finger in ice and maybe apply for the next "Darwin Award"... you never know?

Cheers.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds EXACTLY like something I could have done. Glad you're o.k.
Thanks. I was actually laughing in the hospital because I felt so stupid :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol! Glad you didn't get any red streaks on the paint! :) The alignment pdf works pretty good!
:) I did, but they wiped right off!

It was a stupid mistake. I doubt anyone would repeat it. :lol:

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
:lol: Sorry for your pain but this made me laugh my ass off. :glol:

·
Registered
35 Posts
My hood don't sit exactly level with the door. I thought about adjusting it, but after reading this, I might just let it be. ;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:lol: Sorry for your pain but this made me laugh my ass off. :glol:
No problem at all. It was a stupid accident that made ME laugh. I just wanted to pass it along and give out a warning.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My hood don't sit exactly level with the door. I thought about adjusting it, but after reading this, I might just let it be. ;)
That's an easy fix, you just need to lower the rubber bumpers where the u brackets push into the lock.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Too funny! Glad that you are okay and all turned out well. Where are you in Canada? St. Catharines?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
wheres the pics

dang no gruesome photo :sorry:

glad alls well

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dang no gruesome photo :sorry:

glad alls well
I wanted my wife to take a picture at the time but she wasn't in the "mood" :willy:

·
Super Moderator
15,940 Posts
Reminds me of the time a friend was working on his new house. Alone. On a weekend.

He used his nailer to nail his left hand to the top of a wall, 10 feet off the ground on a ladder.

So there he was, in the middle of the swamp (Florida) standing on top of a ladder with his left hand neatly nailed to the metal stud and the nail gun in his right hand.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reminds me of the time a friend was working on his new house. Alone. On a weekend.

He used his nailer to nail his left hand to the top of a wall, 10 feet off the ground on a ladder.

So there he was, in the middle of the swamp (Florida) standing on top of a ladder with his left hand neatly nailed to the metal stud and the nail gun in his right hand.
:) That's how I felt :)

·
Registered
702 Posts

And he got free how?

The "rest of the story", please...:confused:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Thanks for being honest. I will definately learn from this when i remove the hood. Let this be a lesson to you, you should always have the video camera running. You missed out on a perfect opportunity for a great you tube video. That's one of the reasons I tape, cuz I know with the crazy sheet i am doing to my GXP, i will encounter atleast a few disasters like this. The difference between you and me is, you work on your car sober.:)
Glad you escaped.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for being honest. I will definately learn from this when i remove the hood. Let this be a lesson to you, you should always have the video camera running. You missed out on a perfect opportunity for a great you tube video. That's one of the reasons I tape, cuz I know with the crazy sheet i am doing to my GXP, i will encounter atleast a few disasters like this. The difference between you and me is, you work on your car sober.:)
Glad you escaped.
Love this response... thanks.

Yes, I should have done that. But while I was REAL pain, at the same time I was laughing inside thinking that "Sh!t I feel stupid. What a dumb a$$ I am." :willy:

·
Super Moderator
15,940 Posts
And he got free how?

The "rest of the story", please...:confused:
I asked him the same question. He spent a few moments unwrapping his hand to show me the hole torn in the web between his thumb and first finger.

"I did the only thing I could do, I jerked the nail through the hand and went to stop the bleeding"

He had trouble at the emergency room because they kept stopping to laugh.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts