Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a fellow that gave me his VOM# to check and it didn't come up. He is getting gufff from his dealer and is getting frustrated. He asked if I had any advice on how to approach the dealer for the best results, Here is what I told him...... any additional thoughts?

A friendly disposition and the truth are the best tools. You want the car if it has been ordered, but you don't want to be pushed around either. Call your salesman and set an appointment to come in and talk with him. Tell him that you would like to know how your order is coming along, and go armed with the knowledge that we have given you on the forum. write down some key words or questions....

what is the VOMS #(vehicle order maintenance system) associated with my order? Ask for a printout of your VOMS #. They CAN do this...

When is your first solstice coming in? Is it one of the first 1000?

where am I at in line? Have you cashed my deposit?

Offer to buy the sales staff dinner if they agree to help keep you informed. You would be suprised how fat lazy salespeople's ears perk up at the sound of "free food". ( a little humor)

Seriously you would be suprised how much you can get from a salesguy if you warm up to him.

Most importantly, remeber you are on the same side. You want to buy a car soon, and he wants to sell it now. He may have your deposit, but he hasn't cashed his commission check yet.

Inform him of just how much you are interested, and tell him of he will get you the voms printout, you have a friend at a dealership that will look up the order for you.

these are just randome Ideas, but you get the point. I am not saying you are adversarial, but look at it from the salesguys standpoint. Hopefully he is too busy to grab his ass with both hands, we all should be, but if you show him that you are competent, and you want to help him make this sale, he WILL HELP YOU.

Here are the things I think you should not do....

Dont Argue with him, or boldly disagree. No one likes a customer who tells him how to do his job, even if the customer is dead right. arguing puts him on the defensive. when he says something you don't agree with, ask him to prove it on paper, and sign it. Do that once with something he is not sure of, and he will check his facts EVERY TIME THEREAFTER.

Don't show up unnoticed. Make an appointment. This just makes sense. When you call to make an appointment, don't take up an hour telling him what you were coming in for. Keep it short and sweet "just wanted to drop by and talk about my solstice after lunch, what kinda shake did you want?"

Don't take up an hour of his time once a week for the next two months pestering him about stuff that is mainly important to you. Even a lousy salesman can be gotten along with in small doses. .

I am not saying to lavish your salesguy with affection and gifts, but it doesnt take much to warm impress someone enough to make them WANT to help you however they can. I sold a car once and found out that the owner's favorite song was "rock and roll" by Led Zepplin, so I bought the CD( I was suprised i didn't already have it actually) and burned off the song. Had it in his car when he started it up for the demonstration drive. His eyes lit up, and I can't even begin to tell you the good Karma I have gotten from the guy since then. He sent me a postcard from maui and everything!

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
I agree with your approach, Cricket. Good energy, good will and good karma goes a long way.
"Cast your bread upon the waters and it will return one hundredfold to you." Goodness seems to be a good investment. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Good advice cricket.

My guy had trouble locating my VOM # too. We found it written on the outside of my sales folder.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Good Advice fof Dealing with Life in General

:agree:

The customer may always be right, but that doesn't give you the right to be abusive and it is just plain stupid. Put yourself in the salesman/dealer's shoes would you want to deal with you going ballistic over your order. It just brings everything down to a disagreeable level straight away and if you have any sense at all, you end up kicking yourself after you have calmed down.

If your spouse is calmer by nature than you are (or it's not their car so have the advantage of detactment) take him/her along with you to keep you from "losing it".

I was concerned that I didn't know what my order number was after three months of having the car on order, and after getting the brush off from the sales manager. But I called my saleman the next week and asked (nicely) if he could get me the order number for my car. He called back later that day with the number and I have since had independent confirmation that it is sitting in the system. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts