Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 60 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Installed my relays and I too now flash on the side.
Thanks for the mod.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Installed my relays and I too now flash on the side.
Thanks for the mod.
I also flash. :D

This is an easy, useful, and way-cool mod. :dthumbs:

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
A member of the sky forum had a GTO with simular wiring and blinked with out a relay. they use the GTO wiring guide and did the mod on the Sky and it works. I did it to my Solstice this weekend and it works great.

This is what you need to do.

Open the harness to the side marker, pull out the black wire up to the point of the harness where the fog lights split off. Cut the black wire close the split and (using the end that comes from the side marker)then apply a wire tap to the blue wire in the bundle going towards the fog lights.

I stripped back some insulation off the blue wire and soldered the black one to it. Then re-taped the harness for a nice clean look.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
A member of the sky forum had a GTO with simular wiring and blinked with out a relay. they use the GTO wiring guide and did the mod on the Sky and it works. I did it to my Solstice this weekend and it works great.

Open the harness to the side marker, pull out the black wire up to the point of the harness where the fog lights split off. Cut the black wire close the split and (using the end that comes from the side marker)then apply a wire tap to the blue wire in the bundle going towards the fog lights.

I stripped back some insulation off the blue wire and soldered the black one to it. Then re-taped the harness for a nice clean look.
All fine and good, but what happens to the other end of the black wire or did I miss something?

Pics and diagram?

·
Registered
39 Posts
All fine and good, but what happens to the other end of the black wire or did I miss something?

Pics and diagram?
The other end of the black wire gets taped off and hid in the harness. It is no longer used.

I did this mod yesterday. It was SOOOOO easy!

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts

So am I to assume that there is no need for a relay just a simple wiring connection from the black wire to the blue does it? This is just way to easy not to do :woo: :woo:

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Perhaps this mod in conjunction with swapping the side markers with LEDs will not add to the voltage draw.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Perhaps this mod in conjunction with swapping the side markers with LEDs will not add to the voltage draw.
Good idea Deepbluegxp, the current draw on LED’s are much lower for sure, however I went back over to Sky site and have been reading the post and looking at the GM schematic that was posted in the thread. Convert your side marker lights into turn signals - Page 3 - Saturn Sky Forum
I'd be surprised if they would work with this mod as they don't respond to reverse current flow. (voltage polarity matters)

It looks like the (black) Marker lamp ground wire is being cut and tapped back to the low turn signal return (blue) so it doesn't change any supply current being pulled through the 10 amp fuse or any wires in the circuit under normal operation and after further investigation I'd say this is most likely a safe mod because that fuse would have blown if it was drawing too much current, that being said it's still a mod and if something goes wrong and they find it? :thumbs:

What it does do however is to cause the 12Volts to buck each other while the parking lamps are on which is why I believes it alternates because the current flow thought the bulb is actually reversed in that state, as was mentioned elsewhere it should work fine with any Park/Turn Signal incandescent bulbs but LED’s or HID’s most likely won’t work due to reverse current flow. (just a guess at this time?)

I removed my first caution so as not to confuse anyone. :dthumbs:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great Mod - :dthumbs:
I also did this mod over the weekend, using 2 vampire taps to connect the black and blue wires, and electrical taping the whole thing back up. I know soldering is better, maybe i'll do that in the new future.

By the way, Great picture explaining the wiring! Wish I'd seen it last weekend ;)

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
The other end of the black wire gets taped off and hid in the harness. It is no longer used.

I did this mod yesterday. It was SOOOOO easy!
Now I feel like a DOOB! girlz:blush:

See how easy this mod is!!!

Thanks for the diagram Deep, that WAS SIMPLE.
Have not done it yet and I have the relays DOH! so I might as well try LEDS and see what happens but with my schedule who knows when the next mod will be :willy:

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Great catch. Got to me before I sprung for the relays.:yesnod:

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Now I feel like a DOOB! girlz:blush:

Thanks for the diagram Deep, that WAS SIMPLE.
Have not done it yet and I have the relays DOH! so I might as well try LEDS and see what happens but with my schedule who knows when the next mod will be :willy:
I thought about the LEDs, they are diodes and the electrical current lights LEDs in only one direction so that won't work.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I thought about the LEDs, they are diodes and the electrical current lights LEDs in only one direction so that won't work.
Deepbluegxp,

You know after reviewing the diagram again they might just work fine as the wire that's being cut and relocated is the side marker lamp ground not the turn signal / fog lamps so it shouldn't affect any current flow in those lamps. :thumbs: and actually the side markers with this setup are now just using the flasher return instead of a direct chassis ground. (this most likely adds an extra amp or two of current draw through that wire - I don't remember the side marker specs, but I would expect the wire can handle the increased load just fine?)

So my original statement about current flow is still correct however I think after further investigation the direction of current flow in the side markers remains the same and the only thing that happens is 12V is being applied to both sides of this lamp when parking lamps and the flasher's are on thus giving the alternating appearance.

If someone has already tried this mod and has LED turn signals installed post and let us know if it indeed works ok.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Just did this relayless mod...easy! Works like a charm.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Method 2 from the first post. The reason this simple mod works is that the fog and turn signal share a ground. When you cut the side marker wire and connect it to the blue wire, it essentially is like extinding the brown wire to the other lights to share the same ground as the fog and turn signals. No worries. Do this mod... :)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
which one of these is the simplest???;)

41 - 60 of 160 Posts