Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

61 - 80 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
The reason this simple mod works is that the fog and turn signal share a ground. When you cut the side marker wire and connect it to the blue wire, it essentially is like extinding the brown wire to the other lights to share the same ground as the fog and turn signals. Now worries. Do this mod... :)
Agree :thumbs:

However I think you meant NO worries. :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
ok so i just did this mod it took all of 10 min for an experianced person like myself it was really easy i went for a drive and saw a sol we talked for a second and he thought it was cool that its worked so well and so easy so thanks for the cheap easy mod if u have any ohers let me know

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
You can turn off the lights with the turn signal control on the steering wheel.

You can test then with the car off by hitting the emergency flasher control and then by turning the lights on one click on the turn signal arm.

BTW, I did 16 of these mods on Skys and Sols at the last mod meet and Go-N Def's last week and Midlife's car this weekend

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
DeepblueGXP

Many thanks for the idea and the instructions. Your instructions made it very easy to set up.

Unfortunately with day time running lights it is hard to get a good video of the mod.

I am in:
[URL=http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u229/rick_lee55/GXP%20Solstice/?action=view&current=MVI_0755.flv][/URL]

Is there any way to power the side markers when the park lights are off?:willy:

I really like the mod:cool: :cool:

From the sound of your video, it sounds like you used the relay version of the mod. Great job!!!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
You can turn off the lights with the turn signal control on the steering wheel.

You can test then with the car off by hitting the emergency flasher control and then by turning the lights on one click on the turn signal arm.

BTW, I did 16 of these mods on Skys and Sols at the last mod meet and Go-N Def's last week and Midlife's car this weekend
Without the relays I would assume Joe? Do we know yet if the LEDs can be powered with this mod without the relays? :confused:

Nice job Summer Solstice! :bow:

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Without the relays I would assume Joe?
If you play the video, you can hear clicking. With the no-relay mod, you can't.

Do we know yet if the LEDs can be powered with this mod without the relays? :confused:
No one has installed LEDs yet as far as I know and did the mod.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Here is a variation of this mod using LEDs
Sorry crappa, that isn't what we are talking about. Cool though, I didn't know that thread existed. What we want to know is if in doing the mod described on the first post and replacing the existing filament bulb with an led, will the marker light still work?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Relay versus non relay method

I assume the benefit of the relay method is to get the side marker flash in alternate sequence to the turning signal light. Where the non relay method you can only get the side marker to flash in sequence with the turning signal light.

I think the side marker flashing in alternate sequence is way cool :cool: Where the side marker flashing in the same sequence not worth the effort. :jm2c:

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Both methods do the same thing. Flash sequencially and when the parking lights are on they alternatly flash. I changed mine to the non relay mod version and it performs the same way.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Both methods do the same thing. Flash sequencially and when the parking lights are on they alternatly flash. I changed mine to the non relay mod version and it performs the same way.
After further reading of this thread I see why the side marker alternates:

What it does do however is to cause the 12Volts to buck each other while the parking lamps are on which is why I believes it alternates because the current flow thought the bulb is actually reversed in that state, as was mentioned elsewhere it should work fine with any Park/Turn Signal incandescent bulbs but LED’s or HID’s most likely won’t work due to reverse current flow. (just a guess at this time?)

·
Registered
160 Posts
wow this mod is easy!!!

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #77 (Edited)
wow this mod is easy!!!
Cool, glad to help

This is an IF THEN theorem argument,

If an LED is a light emitting diode,

If current flows only one way in a Diode

If the 12v is bucking,

then, the answer is obvious.
Sure but no one has put a meter to it to see if it goes from 12+ to 12_ to verify...

·
Registered
94 Posts
wow i feel absolutly retarded hahaha i just read through this thred and ducksols message again and just now realized L.E.D. light emmiting diode wow i feel pretty dumb lol

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Cool, glad to help

Sure but no one has put a meter to it to see if it goes from 12+ to 12_ to verify...
That was my obvious answer:lol:
My suspicions won't add anything constructive.

wow i feel absolutly retarded hahaha i just read through this thred and ducksols message again and just now realized L.E.D. light emmiting diode wow i feel pretty dumb lol
Don't feel bad, I know this :banghead:
I just can't figure it out on a schematic right now with a pinched nerve locking up half my back. :ack:

61 - 80 of 160 Posts