Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Administrator
9,243 Posts
Deep
Are the Wires the same color on Both the Left and Right sides
Every car I have done this on .. Sols and Skys .. the Wires were the same color on both the L and R sides.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Every car I have done this on .. Sols and Skys .. the Wires were the same color on both the L and R sides.
:agree::agree: Did mine. Works perfectly.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Got my 1st Mod completed and they LQQK good ,and work GR8 Thanks for the tips everybody. I never looked at the wires on the Car. I per-assembled everything in the heated basement. YAAAA

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Sorry, been busy on another forum.

For the non relay version, cut the black on both sides and connect them to the blue wires (one is slightly darker than the other).

Wiring like MomsSol said is the same on all Kappas

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not being a big fan of just splicing together electrical systems I don't have schematics for, I went the route of relays and blocking diodes to prevent cross-feeding and back-feeding voltages.

Here is the diagram. Works like a charm. Be certain to insulate all of your splicing. I tie-wrapped together and then covered with electrical tape the pairs of relays. On the frame behind the headlights there is a convenient hole already drilled in the sheet metal. Use a stainless bolt, nut and washers to hard-mound the relay pairs.

When in daylight the side marker and front turn lamp flash together. When in night the side marker and front turn lamp alternate. Wife was skeptical until I showed her the results after dark. Now she realizes the Solstice is more visible (particularly ours, which is black)

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Tomorrow's project. ;)

Done:::3/15/09

This is a simple mod...I'll repeat the thoughts previously posted...Why didn't they do this originally?

I simply unwrapped the bundle that led to the side marker, cut the black wire, taped the nubin and pushed it back into the plastic sleeve.

Used the quick connect to mate the blue front turn signal wire to the black...and it worked!

Followed up with some electrical tape around everything to seal it up tight...all done. Both blinkers took less than 30 minutes...most of your time will be unwrapping and then wrapping.

Here are a few photos:::

Here's a short video of the mod:::

And a slightly longer version:::

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration Deepbluegxp!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for the info DeepBlue. I read this entire post and looked at all of the pictures. When I did my mod, I wanted it to be completely invisible (I did not want anyone to see the quick connects or re-routed wires.)

The solution is to unravel the wire loom before the split to the turn signal branch. This will allow you to splice the connections and keep them iside the loom with no wires sticking out. Also, I did not use the quick connects. Instead I stripped the blue wire without cutting it and then inserted the stripped end of the black wire into the unraveled strands of the blue wire. I then wrapped the black wire around the exposed copper strands of the blue wire and soldered the connection. To complete, Tape the splice and then stick everything back inside the loom and tape it back up. you can't tell that the mod was ever done just by looking at the harness.

Here's a picture of the splice before soldering:

And a picture before applying the tape. After the tape, it looked exactly the same as before the mod.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Has anyone not been able to do this? I've tried this today & no luck? Weird. I'm pretty good w/wires & such.
I did this about a year and a half ago. It appears there are a couple options listed in this thread since I did mine. If you follow the drawing in post #50 in this thread you should have no problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello everyone.

I'm new to this site - just stumbled upon it a couple days ago.

I own a 2008 Solstice GXP "Deep" convertable and thoroughly enjoy it. It is fully loaded and to date, I have not changed one thing on it.

I like this MOD (thanks Deepbluegxp) and I'm going to do it on mine also. I do have a question however.

Looks like a lot of folks indicated this MOD was very easy and everyone is flashing. Having read through this entire thread, I'm a little confused as there appear to be two ways to do this MOD! Am I correct in saying that UNLESS you MOD using the 2nd method that includes the horn relays, that your side markers will ONLY function as turn signals and will not be lit up during normal driving when the headlights are on?? Also, you only need to perform method 2, correct? In other words, you do not have to do the first method before you do method 2, correct??

I'd like to have my running light still functional as running lights when I'm done with the MOD :)

Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to browsing through this site. Looks like there is a lot of good info on here.

By the way Deepbluegxp, I've looked at another site that you reference in your posts to see photo's of your Solstice with all of its many MOD's - great looking vehicle. I know there are others to look at also, and believe me, I'll be doing that. :)

Ed

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Welcome EK!

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I like this MOD (thanks Deepbluegxp) and I'm going to do it on mine also. I do have a question however.

I'm a little confused as there appear to be two ways to do this MOD!
The two methods are two ALTERNATIVE ways of doing it. The preferred, easier, method is the cut/splice method. The side markers stay on with the parking lights unless the turn signal is on, in which case the relevant side flashes instead. No need for the relay method.

This mod, along with the second-horn mod, are the best first (safety) mods you can and should do to your car ( http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/tweetys-horn-mod-pics-12729/] ).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks BellaVerde!

Thanks Tomato Soup! Yes it does indeed help - I'll be doing mine tomorrow, without the relays, unless it rains.

I'm going to go look up Tweety's Horn Mod also - thanks for the tip. The link you provided didn't seem to work.

Thanks again

Ed

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,732 Posts

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Welcome to the forum and the flasher crowd!!!
Thanks for your comments on my car.

101 - 120 of 160 Posts