Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
just did mine last friday. love em. the write up was awesome and extremely easy to follow. took bout 5 minutes to read and about 5 minutes a light and i was done. looks good!!!!!

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Just found this thread. Funny as I read the forum thoroughly almost evey day. Not sure why I missed it originally.

Question - Does this wire splice method work with LED side markers ? I have LED's and would like to know before I do it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
A few have reported it works. I don't have LEDs. Easy to reverse if yours doesn't

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
I don't have LED side markers, but I do have LED turn signals (with resistors). The conversion still works fine.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I have LEDs in the side markers and it works great.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
What does that have to do with Turnsignal and side markers?

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Does the side marker light put enough load on the circuit to make resistors unnecessary with LED turn signals?
You mean with LEDs in the side markers? I have LEDs in my side markers and there are no issues at all. No resisters were needed.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Sly Bob, I think the question is if you put LEDs in the side markers and the parking lights and do this mod, is there enough resistance just from the LED bulbs to not need resistors?

Or perhaps that is what you meant?

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
The way this mod works is to load the flasher circuit in the opposite phase to the 'real' turn signals. Thus, it doesn't matter what you have in the side markers it would have no effect on hyper-flashing and turn signal loads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What I meant was the regular incandescent bulb in the side marker and LED in the turn signal on the front. If I'm understanding what TomatoSoup is saying, resistors will still be needed if LEDs are put in the front turnsignal socket. Am I correct?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
This works on all KAPPAs.
This mod now has two methods.

NEW easier way to do this mod, no cost. :)

Relay method for LEDs
Add an automotive relay on each side marker to convert them into turn signals and still retain the marker for the parking lights.
The relay is installed with the side marker +12V brown wire cut in half and connected to the relay in the normally closed position, position 87a to 30. The blinker +12V Light Blue wire is tapped and the black wire, hook them to position 85, 86.

The following picture is what you need to do this mod.

2 Auto Relays Automotive Electrical, Horn Relays | TESSCO 800 472 7373
4 Wire Taps (Wal-Mart) or Advance Auto parts
Crimp connections
Four 6" pieces of 18 AWG wire (2 pieces each color)

I did a diagram on the box to show how it works.

See the difference

FYI, my mod is being sold by a certain roadster club that uses GM in their name... and according to the site, there are more difficult versions around the web. I don't know how much easier this can be? I didn't patent this mod so anyone can sell it but don't get ripped off for something that is clearly documented and easy.

Two versions to the mod:

The first one is completely FREE (other than spending about 1/2 hour of your time).

The second one costs about 15 to 20 depending on where you get your parts.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
We did a bunch of these at Penticton last year. Kyle was getting 10 dollar or so tips for doing others cars. He used shrink wrap tube and did a really nice job - per the "easy way instructions" posted here. This year in Lewiston, I was surprised to hear of this "new invention", and that it cost 60 bucks. The method used by GMR was to supply a longer pigtail set and tie in back a little further than the "easy way". So it did require a couple bucks worth of parts. I kinda prefer the "easy way" myself, but if you don't know how to do it, I guess to some it may be worth 60 bucks.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
What I'm looking for is a way to make those side marker lights shine steady WHITE (and bright) when that turn signal is on so I can see if anything is in the area as I turn.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Do you have pictures PATbfd?

121 - 140 of 160 Posts