Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Not being a big fan of just splicing together electrical systems I don't have schematics for, I went the route of relays and blocking diodes to prevent cross-feeding and back-feeding voltages.

Here is the diagram. Works like a charm. Be certain to insulate all of your splicing. I tie-wrapped together and then covered with electrical tape the pairs of relays. On the frame behind the headlights there is a convenient hole already drilled in the sheet metal. Use a stainless bolt, nut and washers to hard-mound the relay pairs.

When in daylight the side marker and front turn lamp flash together. When in night the side marker and front turn lamp alternate. Wife was skeptical until I showed her the results after dark. Now she realizes the Solstice is more visible (particularly ours, which is black)

Just doing a little research for a possible foglight/front turn signal delete on my Sky and came across this post . . . never knew about this even though I was aware of the relay and non-relay/easy mod.

I think if done this way, you could have and LED 194 light in the side marker, and a 3157/4157 style LED in the front and it would still work as a result of the added diodes.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I think if done this way, you could have and LED 194 light in the side marker, and a 3157/4157 style LED in the front and it would still work as a result of the added diodes.
CS, you shouldn't need double relays to make the nod work with two sets of LEDs. First, the reason (though I have not confirmed this) that the two LED setup doesn't work is that the side lamp needs the low impedance of the front bulb 'turn' filament as a route to ground, and doesn't get this with a front LED.

HOWEVER, if you only use a 3157 LED in the front, you'll get hyper-flashing ANYWAY, so you'll need a low-ohm load resistor in series to fool the BCM into thinking there's a filament there, drawing current. In that case, you will again have your low impedance route to ground, and thus the side marker should flash - even when using DBG's simple splice method.

[NOTE: the way (from inspection) the DBG splice method works is that the blue lines are the +12V interrupted signals to the front turn filaments. The black wires are grounds. Thus you splice the ground of the side marker, to the 'trigger' (+ve) wire of the front turn filament.

THUS, when the turn/flash signals are off, the black wire is grounded through the front filament and the side marker lights. When the turn filament is switched ON, both wires to the side marker are +ve and so the side turns off, but then lights again when the the front goes off - which is why it alternates with the front turn.] NOVA will be back next week with another unsolicited documentary!

·
Registered
834 Posts
CS, you shouldn't need double relays to make the nod work with two sets of LEDs. First, the reason (though I have not confirmed this) that the two LED setup doesn't work is that the side lamp needs the low impedance of the front bulb 'turn' filament as a route to ground, and doesn't get this with a front LED.

HOWEVER, if you only use a 3157 LED in the front, you'll get hyper-flashing ANYWAY, so you'll need a low-ohm load resistor in series to fool the BCM into thinking there's a filament there, drawing current. In that case, you will again have your low impedance route to ground, and thus the side marker should flash - even when using DBG's simple splice method.

[NOTE: the way (from inspection) the DBG splice method works is that the blue lines are the +12V interrupted signals to the front turn filaments. The black wires are grounds. Thus you splice the ground of the side marker, to the 'trigger' (+ve) wire of the front turn filament.

THUS, when the turn/flash signals are off, the black wire is grounded through the front filament and the side marker lights. When the turn filament is switched ON, both wires to the side marker are +ve and so the side turns off, but then lights again when the the front goes off - which is why it alternates with the front turn.] NOVA will be back next week with another unsolicited documentary!
Ah interesting. My take on it was, the addition of the 2 diodes on top of the relays would then allow you to use whatever 3157/4157 bulb you wanted LED or halogen, with the relay method and it would still work.

Or alternatively, I figured adding the same 3-6 ohm resistors per branch of 3157/4157 would work as well if I went LED that route.

I finally decided I'm gonna go with some tinted tail lights (will tint some clear and spray it on). And I wasn't comfortable with that for the longest time because if I did, I would want to go with brighter bulbs. Well I found them finally not too long ago, for a price I was willing to pay.

Picked up some 3157 cree, with projector LED bulbs. Kinda like this:

And one like this for the reverse light:

The red 3157 LED bulbs have already arrived and are they ever freakin bright. My fiance thought they were ridiculous compared to lighting up just a plain halogen 3157 I took out in terms of brightness.

The white reverse light without the peripheral smaller LEDs is awesome as well, but it needs a resistor as well or it will be dimly lit when the car is running.

The guy I'm dealing with for the bulbs has been fantastic about everything except slow shipping, albeit free (and prices were better than Stunner Lights even though I didn't have to order an entire package/kit, and you can order as much or as little as you want, and not just an all or nothing kit with bulbs you probably won't want, and some bulbs you might want but aren't provided, and SL is not willing to sell piece by piece).

Furthermore, the guy I'm dealing with has thrown in resistors for free (so far 5 for free, and may end up being 7 if I do the the front turn signal delete). If I did, I'd mount an amber 3157 in the top corner parking light above the projector headlight. I'd also tap the turn/hazard circuit, to include the 194 LED in the fender marker light to alternate flash, and add an LED strip that would go around the edge of the headlight housing. So basically the front turn signal would be deleted (I'd simply paint it off black for now, and perhaps add some auxiliary lighting in the future), graft a 3157 socket ring onto the back of the existing plug for the 194 in the top corner parking light, and add an LED strip on a parallel branch circuit to the fender light. Which is what got me doing some turn signal research.

I've done some measuring, and I should be able to run the LED turn signal strip the way I want to and could even setup an Audi-esque LED DRL treatment as well. Just debating now if I want to add an LED strip for DRL type function since I deleted my DRLs when I went with the 55W HID headlights. When I decide I'll order the LEDs. But still gotta get this breather tank project done, and it's been wintery lately and looks like it'll stay that way till at least next week when I'm back in school.

Oh, and thanks again for being a sounding board for ideas with your expertise as usual TS!

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
First Mod

Did my first Mod today! I converted the side marker lights to work as turn signals. Followed a post about splicing wires in wire harness without using relays and it worked out great. This was just a small Mod, but gives me confidence to do more changes. This community is a Blast!!!!! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Just spotted this ..............

Solstice / SKY Side Marker Turn Signal Kit
$69.00

I have blinking side markers too, was needed to make the car road legal. I have no idea how the guy who made my car road legal did it, but it works like a charm...

View the Blinker Video of RTM

View The Blinker Video of my Solstice

They do seem to blink different than the RTM Motorsports movie. My side markers blink in same pattern as the front one and in the RTM movie they seem to blink intermittent.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
TomatoSoup Side Marker/Turn Signal Kit

I'm very sure if Mark (TomatoSoup) had to time he could make these for a lot less of us...
How about it TS $50 + shipping sound good.. With the extra cash you could buy yourself a new electronic talking soldering gun.. :grin:
I already have this lighting feature on my Sky but would love to clean it up with a kit like this, so I'm in for 1 - TS Side Marker/Turn Signal kit! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Holy Smokes, didn't check to see if RPM-Motorsports are supporting vendors on this forum!! :eek:

:wtf: Don't want to upset "Kiss-Ass" on the other side of The Kappa River!

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Yeah certainly not a vendor but what the heck do you need a kit for anyway? Did you read the thread from the start? You're wasting your money, follow the instructions in this thread.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just spotted this ..............

<snip>

View The Blinker Video of my Solstice

They do seem to blink different than the RPM Motorsports vid. My side markers blink in same pattern as the front one and in the RTM movie they seem to blink intermittent.
I'm curious how you got lights on the same side to blink at the same time. All the example videos I see look like the RPM video where lights on the same side blink in alternate.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
No idea. The guy prepping the car to make it road legal did it. I assume he just reconnected the cables so the sidemarker now is getting power from the turn signal.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
CS, you shouldn't need double relays to make the nod work with two sets of LEDs.
The thread that never dies.

So I'm planning on doing this mod, but am I understanding correctly that the simple method won't work if I'm running LEDs in both the headlights and markers? Is there any way around that without going the relay route? I really don't want to use relays... and I'd really like to keep my LEDs.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I did this mod a few days ago using the relay method. I also changed the side markers to LED.

To see the difference, on the passenger side I just replaced the bulb, and on the driver side, I took apart the side marker and used an LED strip.

The video shows both.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
The thread that never dies.

So I'm planning on doing this mod, but am I understanding correctly that the simple method won't work if I'm running LEDs in both the headlights and markers? Is there any way around that without going the relay route? I really don't want to use relays... and I'd really like to keep my LEDs.
Sorry, I missed this, so maybe a day late, dollar short :(

YES, you can use the "non-relay" method with LEDs. The trick is to get a small (1 amp is fine) full-wave bridge rectifier - which is just 4 diodes in a block. Solder the "+" leg to the positive side of the LEDs and the "-" leg to the negative side of the LEDs. Then use the other two "~" legs (doesn't matter which way) for the bulb base wires for the input voltage.

I did it this way for mine. Works great (and you don't need to worry about which way you insert the bulb holder piece into the socket :)).

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
modified my sidemarker lights (once again). Now have independent bulbs for turn signal and side marker in the side marker lamp. It allows full function of both turn signal and side marker. It is more expensive and time consuming than the relay method,but being retired and now in my man cave for the winter, it was a fun modification. Only wiring necessary was splicing the new turn signal bulb into the existing turn signal wiring.

Attachments

141 - 160 of 160 Posts