Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of you car fixer guys (I'm not one) that have done mods on your solstice, how do you keep everything under the hood clean and shiny? I see so many solstices for sale and when the front hood is opened everything just looks beautiful, new, clean, and well cared for. How do you go about cleaning it? I've seen some youtube videos of people just using degreaser, soap, and a power washer but that seems like a good way to ruin everything and mess up the electronics. I wanted to ask the pros here what the right way is to do it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Nothing wrong with just spraying under the hood with a regular garden hose and spray nozzle. I do it all the time w/ just water. Cover/ wrap a CAI if you have one. I wouldn't personally use a pressure washer.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Spray bottle of liquid cleanser and a LOT of paper towels.

Oh, and then never drive it in the rain & snow . . . good luck with that. :)

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Ideas here including a before and after of my Solstice.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f47/cleaning-under-hood-44800/index2.html

Autogeek.net has a step by step on their website.

I personally do not use a pressure washer. Degreaser applied liberally followed by brushing and foam "sticks" to get the nooks and crannies. Lots of water for rinsing - as in no spray nozzle just douse the scrubbed area with lots of pouring water. Then I use a vaccum (now using a leaf blower) to remove water and let it dry. The DP trim detailer does an outstanding job.

Also check out the "Zenyata Miata" thread under care care/detailing forum.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
This thread is worthless without pics. :yesnod:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just pay a guy $30 extra from a detail company in tampa. That was 9 months ago and it's still shiny and clean looking. I'm in Florida tho, no snow, but we do get that somewhat daily heavy tropical hurricane rain that I drive through.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just pay a guy $30 extra from a detail company in tampa. That was 9 months ago and it's still shiny and clean looking. I'm in Florida tho, no snow, but we do get that somewhat daily heavy tropical hurricane rain that I drive through.
I live in Chicago but wouldn't drive my solstice in snow and salt. But interesting that you found someone to do it for you. I'd be so worried about getting the electronics wet.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I don't do it every time I wash mine but usually on days I have time and it's nice outside I pop the hood and dump whatever's in the soap bucket on it and I have a good paint brush and 4in horse hair brush and I give it a good once over then hose it off.

One thing I do though is I break out the air gun and blast it dry real good.

I also set the oscillating sprinkler under my car and let it run for 10 minutes every now and then. especially if I drive thru any roadwork or after it's rained for a week straight.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Simple Green and a lot of water.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
I usually clean the engine compartment with a damp (water only) rag after every three or four drives. I wipe down everything I can reach. Couple times a year I go over it with a 1" paintbrush (dry) to get the dirt/dust out of hard to reach spots. Doing it this often usually takes less than ten minutes. I usually use quick detailer after every drive too. Obviously not a daily driver. :)

·
Registered
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
2,734 Posts
Ideas here including a before and after of my Solstice.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f47/cleaning-under-hood-44800/index2.html

Autogeek.net has a step by step on their website.

I personally do not use a pressure washer. Degreaser applied liberally followed by brushing and foam "sticks" to get the nooks and crannies. Lots of water for rinsing - as in no spray nozzle just douse the scrubbed area with lots of pouring water. Then I use a vaccum (now using a leaf blower) to remove water and let it dry. The DP trim detailer does an outstanding job.

Also check out the "Zenyata Miata" thread under care care/detailing forum.
This. Absolutely this. I use compressed air to blow the water out of the nooks. Then coat liberally with water based dressing.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Okay Chop - if you can't click the links.... lol
Thanks CW, but I did look at your links, and thought that you may want to consider a career change. :devil: But wouldn't mind seeing some of these spotless Kappa engine bays that folks are talking about.

Cleaning the engine bays of both Solstices in on my radar this spring and wanted to make sure I could find this thread again by commenting. I've removed both engine bays covers on the 2.0 and 2.4, so I'm thinking covering up the fuel injection modules would be a wise thing to do.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
Chop - if you're concerned about water seepage, consider wrapping with tin foil. Otherwise if you just "flood" water for rinsing without spraying directly on the injection modules you should be fine.

Best to play it safe - as you well know without my input!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts