Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to have the red backlights on the speedo, tach, and gas gauge on all the time.

I run my headlights on any time I'm driving so I don't need the "auto lights on" function.

Is there a way to keep those red backlights on constantly? Perhaps there is a sensor that turns the lights on automatically that I could cover or paint with black paint?

Thanks!

John :confused:

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Cover the sensor on the top of the dash?

·
Administrator
9,252 Posts
There is a sensor on the dash...little dome near the windshield. On cloudy days, on a run, we would cover it with foil or clay to keep the dash lights on.

Only recommend if you never use the auto lights function!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Turn on the driving lights, that will turn on the dash lights, they fade on slowly.
Also, it makes the gas gauge a little easier to read durning the day.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Turn on the driving lights, that will turn on the dash lights, they fade on slowly.
Also, it makes the gas gauge a little easier to read durning the day.
Mine doesnt work like that.. even with the headlights "forced" on, the gauges are still off. I've been wondering this same topic lately so thank you for asking! Looks like I'll be covering up that little dome too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine does, 2007 GXP. I have swapped in the SKY dash and I not sure which driving light switch I used, the Solstice or Sky, I had both. I do know it is the one with the little orange indicator light in the switch and choose it for that reason. The other one did NOT have the orange indicator light in the switch. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
Mine does, 2007 GXP. I have swapped in the SKY dash and I not sure which driving light switch I used, the Solstice or Sky, I had both. I do know it is the one with the little orange indicator light in the switch and choose it for that reason. The other one did NOT have the orange indicator light in the switch. Hope that helps.
I think you are talking about your Fog light switch, maybe? They are not driving lights.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
That dash sensor is to turn on the headlights when in 'auto' setting when it's dark, or off when it's daylight. Any time you turn on your headlights manually, the dash lights will go on.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I think you are talking about your Fog light switch, maybe? They are not driving lights.
Sure they are! Doesn't everyone drive with the fog lights on at night? Looks cool with them on.

:leaving:

;)

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Love those guys. Years ago when my son was younger, a local TV station would have 3 Stooges marathons every Sunday afternoon. My son and I would sit for hours and laugh until we hurt. My wife started watching with us but that didn't last long.

She couldn't understand what was so funny. :lol:

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
That dash sensor is to turn on the headlights when in 'auto' setting when it's dark, or off when it's daylight. Any time you turn on your headlights manually, the dash lights will go on.
:agree: When the headlights are on (not daytime running lights) the dash lights are on.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Love those guys. Years ago when my son was younger, a local TV station would have 3 Stooges marathons every Sunday afternoon. My son and I would sit for hours and laugh until we hurt. My wife started watching with us but that didn't last long.

She couldn't understand what was so funny. :lol:
:agree: The Stooges rule!!!!:thumbs: That clip was nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!!!:willy:

·
Registered
834 Posts
Weird, there's definitely something up with your car. I've now rewired my light sensor to defeat auto lights, so I'm pretty intimately aware of the light sensor circuit. Essentially, the signal going through the sensor varies between 0-5V. If the BCM detects 0V or "infinite resistance" it assumes the sensor is disconnected, and defaults to "dark outside" and not only turns on the gauge/dash lights, it also turns down the DIC light (it's extra bright for day, and dimmed for night). If the sensor is in the light, the BCM will detect a low voltage, it will keep all lights off, and DIC bright. If the sensor is in the dark, the BCM will detect a higher voltage, and the same thing will happen as if the sensor was unplugged.

Can you ever get the dash lights to come on? When you turn your headlights on manually, does the DIC go dimmer? If not, have you checked your fuse panel for a blown fuse? If the DIC makes no change, I'd be more likely to think something is up with the BCM. If the DIC does react, that leads me to believe something is up with the dimmer switch or a fuse for the dash lights.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can you ever get the dash lights to come on? When you turn your headlights on manually, does the DIC go dimmer? If not, have you checked your fuse panel for a blown fuse? If the DIC makes no change, I'd be more likely to think something is up with the BCM. If the DIC does react, that leads me to believe something is up with the dimmer switch or a fuse for the dash lights.
I've kept an eye on it the last couple days and when its daytime and the headlights are manually on the dash lights are still off. If I cover the sensor the dash lights come on and the DIC and radio fade. If I then remove the cover the dash lights stay on for a minute or two but eventually always fade off.

At night if I turn the headlights on manually the dash lights come on and the DIC and radio fade. If I point a flashlight at the sensor the dash lights fade off, when the light is removed they fade back on. Auto setting works correctly all the time.

The dash lights, DIC, and radio all fade in and out properly but they are Always commanded by the sensor and Never by the switch. This is my first GM newer than 1968 so I have no clue about the wiring! Any help would be fantastic!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dash Lights

What I'd like to accomplish is to have ALL the dash lights on all the time, day or night. As I said, I always turn on my headlights manually so I don't need the auto function. The gas gauge is down in that dark hole and I can't see it very well without the red lights activated. :brentil:

Included in what I call "dash lights" are also the radio lights. It would be nice to have them all on all the time but to be able to control the brightness with the control.

Do I need to rewire the circuit to make the headlights independent? I kinda hate to do it but only because my garage isn't heated.

I appreciate all the suggestions so far! :)

John

·
Registered
7,146 Posts
What you want to do is pretty difficult, because the lights are all driven by the BCM, and the dimming is pulse-modulated (very fast on/off pulses). The dimmer knob is just an input to the BCM, but the BCM itself controls the dimming.

So you could break the output from the BCM, maybe, but then you'd have to generate the correct voltage (it's not battery voltage) and you'd lose dimmer control. I really wouldn't attempt it.

HOWEVER, for the gauge readability, I have a suggestion. I also had the same problem of contrast and readability with the OEM faces. So I got a custom set of faces made with white on black lettering -much easier to read.

Details here: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/new-gauge-faces-corrected-trunk-open-icon-60545/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts