Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many threads about luggage / storage in the Solstice. Am getting ready to do a roadtrip so I thought I would photo the pack! I have done long journeys to Halifax and Atlanta with no storage issues as it was just me. This time it is different....the wife is coming!!!:):willy::):willy: We are going south of Montreal for the Quebec Solstice / Sky meet then carrying on to Quebec City. A total of five nights.

Pictures as follows:
1) Shows all the gear that will easily go into my Sol.:thumbs:
a) Solstice Computer Bag ( bought from Solstice Stuff before they ran out ) this will go behind my seat.
b) Kappasphere duffel bag
c) Motorcycle Tail bag - will mount on GM Luggage Rack. I customized this bag by removing all of the different belts and buckles that would be used to adhere on a motercycle rack....they might scratch:cryin::. I found two "Pontiac Red" bungee cords that will go through loops on top. Bottom has a non scratch pad plus I will put a shammy towel under it. Major shout out to Rob The Elder as he gave me the idea...I lucked out and found the perfect bag.:thumbs:
d) Tote bag by Kappasphere - will go behind wife's seat.
e) Solstice Cooler Bag - not using side attachments to save space. A Latin Venom masterpiece!!! Cold libations are a must after a day of top down driving.:cool:

Next two pictures show Motorcycle tail bag on luggage rack. The loops on the top of the bag keep bungee cords in place which allows me to mount it length wise and have more rearview visibility. Final two show trunk with two items for when top is down.:) and then the motorcycle bag added in case of rain.:brentil::devil: Bag is waterproof but with roof up I would have no rearview mirror visibility.

So there you have it. A Sol packed for a five night trip...no problemo!!!:cool:

Attachments

·
Administrator
9,155 Posts
Great post N.Sol...but two women, 11 days and the top down...now that's packing a Sol!

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
NOW I'm jealous that you have that trunk rack!!!

See you in the morning.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Love packing pics! Great job!

Here's a couple from the Coupe loaded for 1 dude, 1 dog, 14 days. I put all the dog stuff in a flat container in the passenger footwell, with a pillow on top to make it soft and the same height as the seat bottom and made a dog bed on top of that. All my stuff went in the back.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Here's a couple from the Coupe loaded for 1 dude, 1 dog, 14 days. I put all the dog stuff in a flat container in the passenger footwell, with a pillow on top to make it soft and the same height as the seat bottom and made a dog bed on top of that. All my stuff went in the back.

Awesome coupe 112!!! I love the dog bed. I have a Jack Russell who I adore but she is not allowed in the Sol. When I had a corvette I would let her ride in the back which was carpeted. With all the plastic in our Sol interiors I am just to scratch paranoid.:willy:

·
Registered
2,729 Posts

<snip images>
Cool idea. I actually built a platform that I can put stuff under (my laptop usually goes under the front part. Aint nobody goin thru Angus to get my laptop.His stuff I need quickly like water and leash I put between the upright and the seat). Then I put the dog bed on top.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Here's ours ready for an 11 day trip for two people. Didn't need to do laundry either.

No dogs in mine! We have three and they only go in the SUV.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I used a Sky bag in the back of the trunk, a KappaRack and Watherproof Had suitcase on it for my last trip.

The advantage is you can carry all you need, and still get the top down!

Jim :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts

Power hooks found in the bath section at your local wal-mart..2 sizes large and small
also use the rollup space bags..

·
Registered
270 Posts
My wife and I are leaving Saturday for a week in the Smokie Mountains - Gatlinburg, Tail of the Dragon etc. Her is how we are packing.

Using my new luggage straps to hold on old leather suitcase on my Kappa Rack.

A second suitcase in the trunk extension I did this winter, along with my Solstice Cooler from Latin Venom.

Added my computer case and a small duffel bag to fill out the back.

And I can still put the top down! So, I have my wife, my beer, my computer and plenty of luggage. Looks like we are a go!

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice pack 60's Sol!:thumbs: I love the vintage suitcase on the luggage rack. We have the same pack values....my five nighter into the province of Quebec was a "packing success"...my wife and all her stuff, my stuff, iPads in a portable bag that I always took with me and cold beer for the end of a days driving.:cool: This was my first trip using the luggage rack. Getting that one bag on there made all the difference....we had all the space we needed.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

That looks great! Especially with your car.

I would have loved to do that, but I needed waterproof. Still, the rack really works well, and looks decent too. Plus I like that I can easily remove it.

Jim :cool:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
We are putting the kappa on the trailer and using the eight foot bed of our f150 to pack. We have plenty of room
Don't see the point... The Solstice is to drive not to pull around on a trailer but that's just me.

·
Super Moderator
15,945 Posts
I have the truck and trailer because I frequently need to take one of the Kappa's, the wife's Kia or one of the bikes in for maintenance.
It’s just a lot easier to have the trailer and not need a ride.

I also haul a lot of building materials which will not fit in the truck. For our house, the kids and neighbors. You know how it is.

I also found out that if you go to a car show and drive your car, it is obviously not as "cool" as cars that show up on a trailer. So I traded my enclosed cargo trailer for a custom built car hauler. I basically got it for free. Jeff painted it for the cost of materials.

And while I agree that the cars are for the fun of driving, personally pounding down the freeway for two 10 hour days is not my idea of fun. Another consideration is that since my wife’s knee replacement surgery, I did not want to expose her to 4 days of sitting in the Kappa just to travel to and from the Nationals. I want her to enjoy the fun of events there without having problems with having to sit in one position for 9 days.

Another consideration was that I can carry all the stuff that the club members traveling with us can not fit into their cars, like luggage, golf clubs, spare tires, gas cans, helmets etc.

Finally, I am not accumulating “boring” miles on my Kappa and am saving the miles for the fun stuff.

The down side is that my wife no longer feel any constraint on buying stuff while she is in Austin . . . I am sure it will be more expensive this way.
it

Attachments

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Sacrilege! Any mile in a kappa is fun.
Ummm, I've had a few experiences that I would have to exclude from the fun category.

Like crawling through a construction zone at a stop and go pace for an hour+ working the clutch-gas-brake deal until I finally reached an exit off the interstate; that was a totally NOT fun hour. :cuss:

Or being on I-80 with nothing but tractor trailers in a total downpour with almost no visibility, also totally NOT fun. :cryin:

So while I agree with you for the most part, there are always exceptions. ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts