Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
OK, re-posting this question under the proper Thread. I purchased a hitch for my Solstice, and for long trips I would use either a enclosed motorcycle trailer or slide in Cargo carrier. I could leave it at the Hotel during day trips. What if, any pro's or con's.

·
Super Moderator
6,047 Posts
ftr99 : OK, re-posting this question under the proper Thread. I purchased a hitch for my Solstice, and for long trips I would use either a enclosed motorcycle trailer or slide in Cargo carrier. I could leave it at the Hotel during day trips. What if, any pro's or con's.
The trailer has more capacity, is more weather resistant, costs more, takes up more space, and is more difficult to secure at the hotel.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I tried to do that to my wife, but she said, no, absolutely NOT in the rear.

:(

But a girlfriend might be more receptive.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I tried to do that to my wife, but she said, no, absolutely NOT in the rear.

:(

But a girlfriend might be more receptive.
To many "buts" and the word rear mentioned in the same sentence. Sounds way to kinky for me. :lol:

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK, re-posting this question under the proper Thread. I purchased a hitch for my Solstice, and for long trips I would use either a enclosed motorcycle trailer or slide in Cargo carrier. I could leave it at the Hotel during day trips. What if, any pro's or con's.
Recently took a 10 day trip using the cargo carrier in the receiver hitch. loved it. Easy to install and take down at the end of the day. 10 minutes and I was ready to go out looking for a good restaurant. Trailers are nice, but they're expensive and difficult to secure at the end of the day if you don't want to drag it around town with you.

Found a great piece of luggage to use with it. ROLA Car Top Rolling Duffel, #59101. Weather tight, easy to handle, holds a Ton of assorted B.S. A couple of bungee cords to hold it in place and a cable lock through the handle for security and you're ready to roll.

·
Registered
306 Posts
That's great packing. Really! I'm going to look at mine and see how much space I have. I've always thought that it was too small for anything, but I can see how well you all packed. I can't hang clothes behind my seat, since it's all the way back (I'm a tall broad)...anyway, great pics and ideas. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rob, You don't need to explain! The trailer is awesome and I totally agree with the boring miles on a Kappa! Our vehicles deserve miles where we are smiling! Not commuting.

You're vehicle is a princess and should be treated as such!

Let the flames begin...

·
Administrator
9,189 Posts
That's great packing. Really! I'm going to look at mine and see how much space I have. I've always thought that it was too small for anything, but I can see how well you all packed. I can't hang clothes behind my seat, since it's all the way back (I'm a tall broad)...anyway, great pics and ideas. :)
I'm 6 ft tall and still have room behind my seat for a few things, although most of hanging clothes go behind the passengers seat - even when I'm the passenger.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wanted to share a some inexpensive bags I found on eBay that seem to fit quite well even with the top down. The larger bags are from the manufacturer HiPack and their item number is a DB18X (18 inch bag). They are not bad for the price and I picked up two of them for a price of $17.88 each with free shipping. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hi-Pack-Travel-Duffle-Bag-18-22-25-28-Luggage-Black-Navy/191927686032?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=491002930678&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
When you look at the pictures, the bag on the left I packed pretty tight and it was rather snug to get back in thru the widest part of the truck. It was holding 3 pairs of jeans, 5 pairs of socks, 5 pairs of underwear, and 5 T-shirts. The middle bag I went with only 2 pairs of jeans which is probably the best way to go.
Then, in front of the air compressor, there are two toiletry bags (black for me, pink for the wife). These are pretty cheap and I got these for $6.64 each with free shipping. There was no manufacturer mentioned on these bags. However, there is plenty of room for toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, perfume, aspirin, and lots of other little things. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Women-Hanging-Toiletry-Wash-Bag-Travel-Cosmetic-Make-Up-Zip-Tidy-Organizer-Pouch/362660375857?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=631805315830&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Since we are not too tall (5'6" for me and 4'11" for the wife), I am going to see what I could find for some garment bags to hang on the back of the seats. We could fit a few sweat shirts and maybe move some of the T-shirts in there too. If anyone has any suggestions on that, I'm open for suggestions. We are hoping to take a trip to Minnesota's North Shore soon before we put the car away for the winter.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,047 Posts
You can add a significant proportion of volume to the trunk by replacing the compressor. Go to your local parts store (Advance, Auto Zone, et al) and buy a 12VDC powered air compressor and a plug kit. Put them on the floor behind your seat, and put the stock compressor on a shelf in your garage.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I think I was young when I wrote this thread. :willy::willy::willy::willy::willy::willy:

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can add a significant proportion of volume to the trunk by replacing the compressor. Go to your local parts store (Advance, Auto Zone, et al) and buy a 12VDC powered air compressor and a plug kit. Put them on the floor behind your seat, and put the stock compressor on a shelf in your garage.
Great idea. It might not seem like alot of space, but it would be considering just how little room there is in the trunk. I could fit my camera case back there in the added space I bet!

·
Super Moderator
6,047 Posts
I use the space for our "picnic bag" with the collapsing wine glasses, plates, cheese board, and mini table.

For the compressor you can also go one step further:

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Great idea. It might not seem like alot of space, but it would be considering just how little room there is in the trunk. I could fit my camera case back there in the added space I bet!
I use a Domke bag for my camera equipment, fits in the drivers side pocket that the top frame goes in, tripod in a soft case on the floor of the trunk. As always YMMV:grin:

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
The compressor fits behind the seat as well. The fitted Solstice bags work well but you can't over stuff them, they have to keep their "box" shape to fit where they are designed for. I found a small cooler that fits with the two bags once the compressor is removed.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Thanks so much guys. Genius idea about the compressor. I need to carry camera gear. Did anybody try the DDM seat back luggage?
Thanks again

21 - 40 of 40 Posts