Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello People! My name is Paul, I've had a 2006 Solstice for about 9 months. Black, bare bones, No DIC or anything fancy pants aside from power windows. I've been a lurker of the forum for as long as I've had the car. I have decided to join because I found no PPC bypass tread, and decided to poke around the problem myself.

This is a temporary work around. I did it because my fiance rides shotgun and i was not comfortable having no airbag for her, God forbid something happens. If you are not comfortable doing this mod, then please don't. I am not a GM engineer, nor a certified auto technician. I am your average tinkerer. I don't have much understanding of the airbag and safety system. I've read a bunch of threads on the forum and people's interpretation of how the system works. Despite all the mumbo jumbo about bus communication controllers; I won't yet give GM that much credit, as long as i don't know how it works. I'd bet it's a basic input-output controller.

Anyways, That's my intro and disclaimer.

Here it goes.

Materials needed-

1) small paperclip
or
1) wire/switch if you like control.

Pull the seat out and unclip the wire harness. set it aside, you will need it later. for sitting passengers.

Below is a picture of the floor end of the harness. The white/grey clip is THE TOP.

Note in the picture what two pins I'm shorting. You should see the passenger airbag light on when the ignition is engaged.

I snipped the paper clip smaller so it fits snug inside of the harness.(you won't be reconnecting the harness to the seat. duh)
Please cover it with tape, there is 12vdc present there. At best, it will drain your battery in a hurry if it shorts to ground on something groundy.

If you'd like, put a switch in between if you need to turn it off for kids, dogs, autocross trophy's or large plants.

This will not get rid of the idiot light! It's temporary until you win the lotto so you can afford a new sensor/cushion/wire/harness value pack.

I drove about 20 miles today with no trouble. If I come across anything fishy or a bag blows in my face for no apparent reason, this will be the first or second place I notify.

Again, if you are not comfortable with my lack of solstice airbag system understanding, Please don't do it!!!!!

Have fun :willy:

·
Registered
153 Posts
A little confused. When you have the paperclip inserted, the dash light indicates that a passenger is in the seat and the air-bag will deploy in case of an accident?

Do you know what color the wires are that you are shorting? I have a schematic and it would be helpful to know what is being bypassed. If you are shorting Pink A (voltage) with Tan/Blk you are just turning on the light and not activating the system.

Tan/Blk - I/P mdl sw sig
Pink E - Ind Ctrl
Pink A - Ign 1 voltage
Pink B - Sens serial Data
Blk/Wht - Ground

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
DANGER DANGER DANGER (Will Robinson)!!!

Just as bobbob says, all you are doing is turning on the light. NOTHING else. You are NOT enabling the airbag!

If you don't know exactly what you are doing, PLEASE don't mess with safety equipment in your car.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Good way to get rid of that annoying light. Especially handy for someone who almost never has a passenger in the car. Am reminded of the olden days when the family would pile into a Rambler station wagon and travel cross country each summer. 4 kids rolling around in the back wrestling for control of the portable transister radio. No seatbelts ~ no airbags. How did we survive without nanny-DC safety standards?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Of course one has to wonder what is the difference to passenger safety with a disabled airbag system vs a system that fails to correctly detect the passenger.

I think I will carry a 50lb weight with me and have my passenger place it on their lap if the system fails to detect them. (Just kidding, don't need a 50lb projectile flying around).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks bobbob and tomato. I think it would be best to have this thread deleted. I was iffy anyways. if an admin could delete that would be good.

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Of course one has to wonder what is the difference to passenger safety with a disabled airbag system vs a system that fails to correctly detect the passenger.
True, but better to know that the system's not working, than blindly go forward thinking that it is.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hello!

I tired this, and the passenger light is always "On" but the dash airbag DTC is still on!!

What pins should I Bypass then? I want the passenger airbag to be always ON like a normal car.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Do I need to clear the DTC with a diagnose tool??

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Kuprito, as the responses above indicate, this procedure only changes the passenger light, it does NOT enable the passenger airbag. Even if you could clear the error it would just come back because the sensor in the seat is sending the error signal to the body control module computer.

There has been no known "bypass" for the sensor to my knowledge - it must be replaced in order for the passenger airbag to be enabled.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Solstice archillies heal

Asking around on line, it seems to me that 100% of all Solstice passenger sensors are malfunctioning at one time or another. I wonder how many passengers have been killed or injured by this design flaw. I just sent notes to my state's political types and National Highway Safety demanding a recall at dealer expense. In just 2 1/2 years of ownership I've replaced 3 at around a grand each, and this one is now coding. It stopped me from passing inspection so my Solstice, with 23,300 miles, is stuck in the garage. G M should be paying for this obvious design flaw and safety problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts