Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to this group, and would like to know how to remove the black plastic door lock Knob because I thought it would look better with chrome. I tried to remove them by turning them out clockwise but it doesn't seem to move. Do I have to remove the door panel? If they can be replaced does anybody know a good website that they sell come door locks?

Thanks, Randy

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
welcome to the forum.

a popular option is kappa sphere l'il chromies. do a search and you will find lots of info.

Jeff

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Hi I am new to this group, and would like to know how to remove the black plastic door lock Knob because I thought it would look better with chrome. I tried to remove them by turning them out clockwise but it doesn't seem to move. Do I have to remove the door panel? If they can be replaced does anybody know a good website that they sell come door locks?

Thanks, Randy
They will come off, but they are held on by a very high-pitch toothed spiral - probably only about two turns for the full length of the rod insert - and the teeth hold them pretty securely. I got mine off with a pair of pliers, difficult to do without damaging them, but it is possible if you wrap them well first.

I got some chrome knobs for a VW off eBay - look very similar to the 'chromies' that Jeff mentioned. I had to spin them in a drill press and 'satinize' with wire wool. I also had to drill out the center holes to fit. Then just glue them on. Prolly far easier to go with chromies though (they glue on also).

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
As Soup stated, you're going to be pulling as much as turning to get them off. And, oddly enough, my first "mod" (lol!) was the li'l Chromies from Kappa Sphere also!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Now you know.
LLLFLY

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I tried to remove them by turning them out clockwise but it doesn't seem to move.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you turn them counter-clockwise to remove them... :willy:

Welcome to the group!!! :thumbs:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,472 Posts
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you turn them counter-clockwise to remove them... :willy:

Welcome to the group!!! :thumbs:
They are not threaded, the inner steel shaft has little barbs on it and the plastic piece is a "push on" to fit. The only way to remove the plastic piece is to turn it while lifting up. It doesn't matter which way you turn it because it isn't threaded.

Have fun!

:willy:

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
They are not threaded, the inner steel shaft has little barbs on it and the plastic piece is a "push on" to fit. The only way to remove the plastic piece is to turn it while lifting up. It doesn't matter which way you turn it because it isn't threaded.

Have fun!

:willy:
Ahhh! Excellent...I learned something new today!! :thumbs:

(I like to try and learn something new every day, but being 9:30 here, I figured it was too late.... :lol:) Thanks Dave! :thumbs:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts