Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new here to the forum, i had just bought a used 2007 solstice gxp with only 39k miles on the clock. other than the typical road abuse the car is in great shape. but there's only one thing that's been irritating me about it. the trunk release on the key fob works every time but the one in the glove compartment only works intermittently. so i lowered the glove box to see what was going on i unhooked the harness and inspected it, it was fine i even grabbed a piece of wire and shorted the 2 terminals out and the trunk would release every single time i did that, i plug the harness back into the button and give it a press, and low and behold nothing happens. i tried to find a way to try and remove the button but i cant find a feasible way on how to do it. if any of you guys know please give me a shout because this is just driving me crazy for some reason:brentil:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I don't know but if you purchase a replacement you'll know right away how to take the old switch apart.

Unless you were hoping to repair the old one... :leaving:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to try and repair the current switch, you know take it out clean it and what not but if that doesn't work i would like to be able to just put a normal momentary switch in its place since i know its just the button causing the problem.

·
Registered
292 Posts
This is a cheep part. I alway . Keep a spare in stock.
They pop in. Brake out. The small gray clip remove 1st.
A lot of us have relocated the trunk release to inside the cab.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
292 Posts
This is called. Cost engineering.
Junk in,junk out.
MMike said to Me I never break this switch.
1 hr. later He calls. You will not. believe it.
He now has a spare switch.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
292 Posts
Tip: Add longer wire's.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright I was finally able to get that stubborn button out, it was a huge pain in the ass especially since i couldn't see what i was doing. I first lowered the glove box to where all my papers were falling out (lol)

I then had to reach my hand up behind the button, its a pretty tight squeeze and you have to push quite hard. I got the button out by pushing the bottom half out first and then proceeded muscle out the top

the button has 2 tabs that hold it in they are at the 12 oclock and 6 oclock positions, granted it wouldve been easier to remove the button if i couldve pressed these down but there was no way i could press them in so muscling them out one at a time was the only option

you can see here where the tabs sort of boogerd up the hole it was sitting in

I then took the button and hosed it down with electronic components cleaner and before i stuck it back in its hole i hooked the harness up to it and pressed the button a few times and the trunk released every time.

i had just gotten off work at 8 and immediately looked through Robs thread on how the button was mounted. so i didnt get out to the car till about 8:30 so thats why the pics are kind of crappy.

Thanks everyone and especially Rob for having pics on how the button was held in. I'll report back in a week or so and give yall an update on if the button still works, but all in all i think it was just dirty button. Thanks again!:)

·
Registered
413 Posts
With mad skills like that and awesome documentation you should look into electrical engineering ;)

Now only if you were Italian for extra awesome bonus points. :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
lol.
Now you know.
Great post.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just dropping by to do a update on the button cleaning. The button still works every time I press it. So before you decide to throw in the towel and buy a new button try to give the current one A cleaning first.

·
Registered
459 Posts
You did much better than me. I could not get that damned button out no matter what I tried, so I broke it into several pieces and then it came out. The electrical cleaning did not seem to help, so I had to get a new button. Maybe I used the wrong cleaner? :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Good work, and welcome to the forum. I can tell you are going to fit right in here..........

·
Registered
291 Posts
Old tread but i wish i had found it earlier

Couldn't open my trunk today. neither the fob nor the glove compartment button worked. The door would open with the fob and the panic alarm would sound but the trunk would not open.

I searched the forum and google and found lots of articles about the buttresses being stuck. I made one of the tools recommended and got the buttresses to open but still no luck. I checked the fuses and the relays, no luck.

Finally I found this thread and was able to remove the button. I shorted the wires on the harness and the trunk popped open. It seems the batteries in my fob were weak and just had enough power for the door lucks but not enough power for the trunk release. I'm going to go and get new batteries in both fobs and find some of this electrical cleaning spray to clan out the button.

Also, this might be a good time to rig an emergency Trunk release for inside the cabin
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/easy-fix-complex-problem-manual-trunk-lid-pull-22456/

if you need the instruction for the buttress tool, its here (post 10)
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/buttress-pin-won-t-release-19635/

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Rather than the fob battery being bad, it's likely that the trunk button contacts are dirty/bad in the fob. Open the fob up and try cleaning them first.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts