Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Thanks for this video. This was done for me by Cecil Atkission GMC Motors in Kerrville TX for FREE! The day before they had replaced my intake cam solenoid and charged full price, so I guess they still came out ahead.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
just using the word targa will make people think it is a Porsche.
Just for the record, Porsche was not the first sports car in the 1960s to offer a removable roof panel. They offered it first in 1966.

Triumph offered a removable top panel and a substitute soft top for those rainy days when the tin top was off, five years earlier than the Porsche. If they had called it a Targa instead of a 'Surrey' top, Porsche perhaps would have thought it too obvious to claim a 'first' for their top.

·
Super Moderator
6,051 Posts
.........Triumph offered a removable top panel and a substitute soft top for those rainy days when the tin top was off, five years earlier than the Porsche. ........
I have the tin top and backlight from a TR250 on one of my TR6s. I was never able to find the soft top, so I made one using the front bow and latching hardware from a damaged convertible top.
The tin top was (obviously) too big to carry in the boot, so i once made a 2-week trip in the car with no roof. It went well except for this one thunderstorm.....

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
I have the tin top and backlight from a TR250 on one of my TR6s. I was never able to find the soft top, so I made one using the front bow and latching hardware from a damaged convertible top.
The tin top was (obviously) too big to carry in the boot, so i once made a 2-week trip in the car with no roof. It went well except for this one thunderstorm.....
John, there are two theories on that:

1 - if you drive faster, fewer raindrops hit you

2 - stop under a bridge until its stops

I've tried both, and favour the first. Used to do that in my TR3 with Brooklands screens but my wife hated the rain so she slumped down in her seat and I put the tonneau cover over her side. Couldn't stop laughing when I went over a bump, or better yet, a railroad crossing and watched the large wifely bump appear in the tonneau beside me, usually accompanied by some cuss words.

How do you feel the Surrey top looked with the TR6 body lines - not bad? Did you paint the rear assembly body colour?

·
Super Moderator
6,051 Posts
John, there are two theories on that:

1 - if you drive faster, fewer raindrops hit you

2 - stop under a bridge until its stops

I've tried both, and favour the first. Used to do that in my TR3 with Brooklands screens but my wife hated the rain so she slumped down in her seat and I put the tonneau cover over her side. Couldn't stop laughing when I went over a bump, or better yet, a railroad crossing and watched the large wifely bump appear in the tonneau beside me, usually accompanied by some cuss words.

How do you feel the Surrey top looked with the TR6 body lines - not bad? Did you paint the rear assembly body colour?
While definitely preferable, (1) only works when whatever is in front of you cooperates and gets out of the way. "My" storm included stop-and-go traffic so I had to revert to (2) as soon as i could. It was not even close to being soon enough. I tried the tonneau cover once in the rain. It was fine until the right turn after some water had pooled in it, so i didn't do it again. Shortly after that I fabricated the surrey top and it stopped being a concern.

I thought it looked good, and was/is definitely unique. I don't recall ever seeing another one. Mine came on the car and I left it the original colors: body color for the tin top and black for the rear assembly.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
I tried the tonneau cover once in the rain. It was fine until the right turn after some water had pooled in it, so i didn't do it again. Shortly after that I fabricated the surrey top and it stopped being a concern.
LOL! Sounds like how I found out why they put a big rubber plug in the jacking hole if the floor right in front of the driver's seat - I worked it out pretty quickly after catching a crotch full of freezing slush right in the goolies!
:surprise:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts