Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got around to taking my bumper off today to fix a bent bracket (parking lot incident). I searched for threads on how to do it, and although there are lots of posts, I couldn't find a full how-to that wasn't either tips or more than you need to do. Most how-to's point to a GM PDF that has you disassemble WAY more than you need to.

So, with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight to save you from doing more than you need, here are the steps to follow for those of you that might do this in the future. NOTE: this is for a GXP, the NA is most likely different underneath...

1. Open the hood.
  2. Inside the front of the engine compartment under the leading edge of the hood, find and disconnect the front fog/turn signal harness connectors on both sides. Push the loose ends down so they don't get hung up when removing the bumper.
  3. Just in front and slightly below the fog/turn harness connectors, undo the 10mm bolts (one on each side) that attach the thick black plastic tabs of the bumper.
  4. Undo the lower four 7mm screws attaching the front of the wheel well to the trailing edge of the bumper (not the front topmost one that just attaches the well to the metal bracket). Repeat other side.
  5. Undo the two 7mm screws on the top outer edge of the bumper. Repeat other side.
  6. Pop out the sidemarker light - push down on the top inner 'tab' (stiff) and push the assembly outward. Disconnect the bulb & harness by twisting 90 degrees and pulling out. Set the sidemarker aside and tuck the harness out of the way. Repeat other side.
  7. Pop out (with a panel puller, or similar) the two outermost 'christmas tree' plastic pins on the bottom outer edge of the bumper (just in front of the wheel well). Repeat other side.
  8. Under the bottom of the leading edge of the bumper you'll find a row of many plastic pins. YOU ONLY NEED TO UNDO TWO OF THESE. Don't touch the remaining ones that attach the body-color bumper tabs - these one-use-only pins only hold the lower intercooler grill to the bumper. Instead just pop the two regular 'christmas tree' plastic pins about one-third in on both sides that attache black plastic to black plastic. They are the ones that hold the intercooler grill (and thus the bumper) to the car - removing these frees the bumper and grill together.
  9. Go to one side and pull out the edge of the bumper to free the 90 degrees wheel well tabs from being caught behind the metal brackets (pull out then forward past the brackets). Repeat other side.
  10. Easiest with two people: Undo the five 7mm screws along the top edge of the bumper, the bumper is now free and can be lifted forward off the car. The grills, fog/turn light assemblies and the brake cooling ducts will still be attached to the bumper, though you might pull one of both of the ducts loose when you remove the bumper - no biggie, just clip it back in.
Remember, you should only need to be pulling a total of 6 'christmas tree' pins, but they can break easily, so have a supply handy for when you put the bumper back on. Available at most auto parts stores (Auto Zone, PepBoys etc).

·
Registered
75 Posts
i only want to change the center emblem, do you think i still have to completely remove the bumper to get at the three speed nuts that hold it on? or can i do a partial remove and reach up there and get at the 3 nuts? thanks

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
The foam impact protection is under the bumper cover so you won't be reaching up. Take all the fasteners out and you'll be surprised how easy the cover comes off. I've had mine off three or four times and it's very easy to do.

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts