Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to change the bulbs inside the dash? Like the air bag bulb, or seat belt bulb, etc.....

Is there an easy way to get into the dash for this ? I hope you dont have to remove the dash?

Sorry if this is a silly question and i did try looking online with no luck

i have a 2006 pontiac solstice

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Most dash 'bulbs', certainly the ones you stated, are LEDS and not replaceable. Unlikely to fail anyway. Are you asking just in case? Or are you having an issue?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a back light on the AC/Heat Fan speed dial go out. The dealer indicated the whole thing had to be replaced. I wonder if I drill a hole from the back and snake in an led? ... Not sure I want to rip out the dash just yet. But I'll have it in mind if I have to go in for some other reason.

·
Super Moderator
16,537 Posts
The dash piece called the boomerang is not difficult. The AC control is a single unit and reused from the Hummer. Sole source auto parts has them for about $100 new. I do not believe the LED is repairable but have been wrong once before!

·
Registered
731 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not to say I would attempt to repair the LED. I would snake in an LED with wires that I tie off to +12v & Gnd. It's the back light that needs replacing. The only issue is can I drill w/o hitting something important. I won't know until I have the unit out. Here is the diagram from the rear. Not much to go by.
View attachment Solstice Heat-AC.bmp

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Unlike the warning lights that the OP was originally asking about, most if not all of the backlight bulbs in the kappas are incandescents, not LEDs. This includes switches and gauge cluster backlights (I can confirm that's true in the door and window switches, the hazard warning switch and the gauge backlights - these are all that I've had apart)

I know 2kwk4u had his A/C controller apart to look to replace the red lights with blue, so it can be done. The bulb is probably burnt out and you can replace it if you can solder fine wires. I know Radioshack has small bulbs, they probably have something to fit. (e.g. 12V Microlamps (2-Pack) - RadioShack.com)

Take it apart and remove the old bulb and take it with you to find a replacement. You have to be sure the red-rubber color "hat" will fit on the new bulb.

Just a caveat though, you'll want to get the right brightness (mA) bulb or you'll have one control brighter than the others :willy:. Worst comes to worst you can change all three :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I managed to get the A/C Heat control unit out and replaced the bulb. I'll post pictures later. Turns out the 25ma bulb is not as bright as the regulars. Maybe 50 would work. But I have it in the center (fan speed) so it looks fine. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
1 Posts
JohnC, thanks for the post. I bought my Solstice two days ago and have the exact same issue. Can you provide details on how you accessed the bulb inside the unit? I will try the same procedure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know how to change the bulbs inside the dash? Like the air bag bulb, or seat belt bulb, etc.....

Is there an easy way to get into the dash for this ? I hope you dont have to remove the dash?

Gte yourself some popsicle sticks . put them around the around the sides where the locking taps are. Pry up the back of the unit.You will see three bulbs that twist in the unit. i think they are t4.2 size bulbs. install in reverse order, without the sticks lol

·
Registered
3 Posts

The bulbs you need are dormon 639-041 T4/2. I found out about them today. Will replace one in my ac/heat control unit tomorrow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts