Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Remove the "s" from https and the video embeds here. I put clear bra on the car when I got it bad in 08 so I have no stone chips. Okay, one but that doesn't count. :)

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
here is the pen they talk about...

search for "Loew-Cornell Fine Line Painting Pen"

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
I ordered an AC Delco paint match pen to touch up some rock chips on the fun car. I've been trying to do some research prior to tackling the small job and ran across this thread. Thank you for posting this! I just ordered this amazing paint pen for $7.28 off Amazon, I'm excited to use it!!

I've never touched up rock chips before, so this will be my first time. I've watched about an hour of video on YouTube and learned several good tricks. I'll see if I can actually put into practice what I saw. Stay tuned for pictures!

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
I ordered an AC Delco paint match pen to touch up some rock chips on the fun car. I've been trying to do some research prior to tackling the small job and ran across this thread. Thank you for posting this! I just ordered this amazing paint pen for $7.28 off Amazon, I'm excited to use it!!

I've never touched up rock chips before, so this will be my first time. I've watched about an hour of video on YouTube and learned several good tricks. I'll see if I can actually put into practice what I saw. Stay tuned for pictures!
I tried to order the tool in this video.
My first order was never fulfilled.
My second order came months later. I wish you better luck than I had.
( I have never tried to use the tool yet. )

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Amazon says the tool will be delivered on Wednesday - we'll see *fingers-crossed*.

A couple things I didn't know (that doesn't say much, I know nothing about paint touch up) during my rock chip paint repair video research.

- One method suggested putting a dab of paint next to the chip, then you would use a special spatula/squeegee to slide the dab into the chipped area. This seems...messy, but neat.

- One method suggested using a hole punch on 2000 grit sandpaper once, then take the small punched out sandpaper and glue it to the eraser on a No. 2 pencil, then sand the small area by spinning the eraser/sandpaper directly on the chip for a small, contained area of sanding. This is for sanding a rusted section of raw metal if you were to have that. I only have a few paint chips, and most of them are on the plastic bumper.

I'm not entirely sure how I'll do mine yet...clean chip and surrounding area with alcohol then simply dab paint using the ordered tool into the chipped area, then use heat gun to dry, then repeat process until enough paint has filled in the area and finished...

Or, do I incorporate sanding and polishing?? Not sure yet...

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
Sand or scrape, yes. Most of the touch-up paint pens that I have used have a sharp, pointy scraper under a cap.
You just want to make sure there is no loose paint that can flake off later.
You don't want to get too carried away, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts