Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

...and the press said?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is sheer speculation, but it might prove to be an interesting topic of discussion.

This is a multiple choice poll.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I chose great car for the money on the positive side, with nit picks of the top and storage space. The press is always quick to point out flaws in GM cars and beat GM over the head with it. Although they will admit it’s a bargain, they are not going to like getting out of the car for the top, and certainly will mention limited trunk space.

Its hard to say what they will think of the handling and such at this point. Crisp handling? Maybe. I hope so.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I think they'll find it a great handling car + a great value in a roadster. They will diss the trunk but might cut some slack on the top being back to basics and all. Overall I think they'll flag it as a winner.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
mceb said:
I think they'll find it a great handling car + a great value in a roadster. They will diss the trunk but might cut some slack on the top being back to basics and all. Overall I think they'll flag it as a winner.
I agree, they will overall think it’s a winner, even with their nit picks, because of the value to performance and coolness factor.

A good poll may be, who will win in comparison tests.

06 Solstice vs 06 next generation Miata?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Like a puppy treats a newspaper.

It IS American, after all...

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
2KWK4U said:

:glol That doesn't create a pleasant image! :glol

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
I think because of the styling of the car and the mule test drives were positive, I believe they will give it a good score.

·
Registered
76 Posts
2KWK4U said:

If it weren't for the gushing Auto Mag reviews of the '05 300 and '05 Mustang (which leaves me scratching my head :confused ), I'd agree with you,,,, but I'm inclined to think that the North American auto reviewers and talking heads will give G.M. kudos for taking a step out of the box and building a couple of great looking, value priced roadsters.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you driven an 05 Mustang or 300?

:thumbs Believe me, the Chrysler 300 deserves all it got at car of the year...its a Mercedes with Chrysler muscle and a sticker that is just plain civilized. Great car...I'd have one IF I wanted to afford BOTH a Solstice AND a 300. The Mustang...well, let's just say, its all the passion of the original 69', with all of the refinement of 2005. Both great cars...and frankly, show that GM is slipping when it comes to building a value. :rant What's up with the cheap plastic? It's like GM, and Pontiac, especially, want "cheap plastic" to come into everyone's mind as a brand distinguisher. If they put any of that sh_t in the Solstice or Sky, they might as well be a newspaper! How hard is it to build a value car, without melting down milk jugs, spraying it with some Rustoleum (preferrably in DULL GRAY), and calling it an interior! GM...WAKE UP, your interior designs feel cheap, look cheap, work cheap, but aren't cheap. Recipe for "disaster" when you look at Chrysler and Ford products!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
big_daddy_mpd said:
:thumbs Believe me, the Chrysler 300 deserves all it got at car of the year...its a Mercedes with Chrysler muscle and a sticker that is just plain civilized. Great car...I'd have one IF I wanted to afford BOTH a Solstice AND a 300. The Mustang...well, let's just say, its all the passion of the original 69', with all of the refinement of 2005. Both great cars...and frankly, show that GM is slipping when it comes to building a value. :rant What's up with the cheap plastic? It's like GM, and Pontiac, especially, want "cheap plastic" to come into everyone's mind as a brand distinguisher. If they put any of that sh_t in the Solstice or Sky, they might as well be a newspaper! How hard is it to build a value car, without melting down milk jugs, spraying it with some Rustoleum (preferrably in DULL GRAY), and calling it an interior! GM...WAKE UP, your interior designs feel cheap, look cheap, work cheap, but aren't cheap. Recipe for "disaster" when you look at Chrysler and Ford products!

To their credit, GM (almost typed BM there... Freudian slip) has been moving their interiors upscale these last 2 years... pretty much since Lutz came on board. In the past, they cut corners here and there so they wouldn't have to "de-content" their cars' safety features. GM was still including ABS as standard equipment on just about their entire lineup long after other manufacturers decided to make it an option that you had to pay several hundred dollars over the "base price" to get. There are other examples as well, but the ABS one was the most prominent.

As a consequence, they had to save money in other places to keep their pricing competitive. Unfortunately, materials and fit and finish quality suffered. Ultimately, this strategy failed. Partially because it wasn't promoted correctly (if at all) and partly because buyers didn't realize it or care. They've finally started moving away from that approach, and hopefully it's not too late.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Check out the GM interiors of a couple of their most recent new vehicles. Specifically, the G6, Equinox, LaCrosse and the Cobalt. All are light years better than the cars they replaced (Grand Am, Tracker, Century/Regal, and Cavalier). They still may not be up to the top of the industry, but they are certainly competitive again. As GM roles out more cars, people will really begin to notice. The problem is there is still a good share of older designs on dealer lots that stick out with lower grade interiors.

The Sol isn’t going to be a luxury car inside. At the price they are selling it at, I wouldn’t be surprised to see some low buck plastics. But the show cars look good to me.

The Detroit News ran an article recently on Bob Lutz, and interiors is one of the things he discussed. He explained before he got there, the only interest they had in interiors was to make them functional at the lowest cost. They spent very little time designing them to look good, and certainly did not put money into the materials quality. He is changing that process, putting more money into them and trying to design them to be more “in fashion” with current trends.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
I saw one quote where Lutz convinced GM to spend a few hundred more on interior costs instead of giving away thousands on rebates :thumbs

·
Premium Member
10,471 Posts
Also check out the GTO interior.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Most reports from the auto shows said "good fit and finish." Hopefully that will still be true in the ones on the lots.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I voted for almost all the choices in the poll. I don't think the press is going to hold any punches with this car. They are going to say the top is goofy, there is no trunk space and mention the MR2. They will nit pick fit finish and materials, they will say it needs more power to live up to it's potential. They will piss and moan if there is any wind or road noise. They will probably say the engine is "buzzy" and doesn't rev as good as a Honda. The shifter will be "notchy", blah, blah, blah. I suspect they will give it high marks for style, originality and possibly handling. In the end they will say it represents a good value for the intro roadster buyer and they'll have to wait and see how it compares with the NC Miata.

It will require you to get to the end of the article to find out that in the end it's a pretty good car for the dough. Problem is they will make you read all the places that it fell short. Of course the magazine racers out their will tell their friends and light up the internet with how much the Solstice sucks because it's not this, that, or the other thing. The good news is, the car looks awsome, and that alone may be able to overcome the fallout from the press reviews.

Or it could be the car is so great that the press can't say anything too bad about it!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, that's always a big problem. Bad word of mouth of the uninformed is far more damaging then anyhting the informaed can fix once it's been put in place. Even if someone attempts to correct it a lot of times, it's near impossible to fix due to the previous history of it being bad. For example all the posts we've seen about horrible GM build quality, horrible interiors, etc. It doesn't matter if the build quality and interiors has been on the up with major improvements over the last couple of years, everyone still has this image of how bad GM used to be in their heads. For example I have a frined whose Firebird ended up pretty much being a lemon. All of my other frineds pretty much will tell you Pontiac is utter crap due to the horror stories they've heard from the other friend. I try to change their mind or give informed information, but it's too late laready.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Most of the major mags gave good reviews for the test mule articles last spring. Hopefully most of what they said was good then will remain good in the finished product and they can just punch holes in just the top/trunk.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The press seemed to be rather favorable in their reviews of the prototype. I think the first road tests of the production car will be generally positive, but will vary by magazine in terms on what they criticize and to what degree.

A comparison test with the new Miata will be very interesting in terms of the point by point analysis. I won't use their overall score however since their weighting factors will likely differ from mine. I seen many previous comparisons where I would have picked a different overall winner based on the individual scores.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts